Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

we still have a ways to go

I don't think I have particularly golden ears but I'm probably not unique in that I can instantly spot live music when I hear it. Even if its a drummer inside an apartment three flights up. Even if its electric instruments. I have been to AES and NAMM and heard many demos of top quality gear but I don't think I have ever been fooled into thinking I was hearing live music when it was actually recorded.

Some of its the processing and mixing that gives polish to recorded music but I think there is more to it than that. Transient reponse? Dynamic Range?

When recorded sound can routinely fool people into thinking they are hearing a live band a major milestone will have been reached.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you familiar with the fiasco many moons ago when Frank Zappa provided a Synclavier-generated recording of a piece to a modern music group that used the tape to "lip sync" a performance to? The music critics for the Los Angeles papers wrote concert reviews as if it was a real performance. When the truth came out, the so-called critics with egg on their face went off the deep end about integrity, blah, blah, blah.

So much for the experts.

I guess it depends on the listener.

Archived