Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HERE IS THE OFFICIAL SUCK KNOB!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A link to the download page instead of a link that automatically downloads to my computer (in this case my office not studio computer) would be much better IMHO.

At least notify the potential clicker that this link will automatically download something to your computer.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Originally posted by Christopher Kemp:

Ah - better! :thu: I stand corrected.

Still - I would have thought there would be far more sucky algorithms to choose from...

I would like to see two things:

1 - A GUI using the avatar the author uses on his BBS, http://www.phoenixlightandsound.com/suck.gif

2 - A way to create your own "algorithms" and use them.

:D

Ok, now I'm going to have to come up with an analog SUCK pedal. I think I'll have a switch that goes from SUCK to BLOW.

heh.. what would one have in a suck pedal? Randomized delay and detuning, along with some really shitty, brittle yet flatulent sounding fuzz?

And as you turn it towards the "blow" direction, it fades those things out and fades in some eq settings that emphasize all the crap frequencies and overtones, particularly those prone to producing some microphonic squeal?

We could have some real fun with this, y'know

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Originally posted by phaeton:

Ok, now I'm going to have to come up with an analog SUCK pedal. I think I'll have a switch that goes from SUCK to BLOW.

heh.. what would one have in a suck pedal? Randomized delay and detuning, along with some really shitty, brittle yet flatulent sounding fuzz?

And as you turn it towards the "blow" direction, it fades those things out and fades in some eq settings that emphasize all the crap frequencies and overtones, particularly those prone to producing some microphonic squeal?

We could have some real fun with this, y'know

How about a circuit that cuts your signal at random, so that it sounds like you've got a short in your guitar or amp? That would suck. :) Or, random volume swells that go from too loud to where the signal cuts out. Or a circuit that adds 60 cycle hum, static, and mexican radio signals. :) This is starting to sound sorta like my first fuzz circuit! :D

Hey, how about a transistor fuzz biased right on the edge of cut-off, with a lot of gain and an antenna w/ tuner for the Mexican radio station? :thu:

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

heh.. what would one have in a suck pedal?

Mmmmm, you could make it sound like an overdriven Marshall ValveState! :D

Seriously, I like all those randomized detuning ideas. That sounds like an awesome pedal, one that is almost too good sounding to be a Suck Pedal!

There we go... have all the random stuff like the detunings and whatnot in the "SUCK" extreme.

Somewhere in the middle, it chops up the low, mid and high freqs and tremelos them separately at different intensities. In here is where the volume-swells, 60hz hum and crackling are found.

Then, moving towards the "BLOW" extreme it has the edge-fired fuzz circuit that picks up not only a Mexican music station, but an upper-register satellite data feed.

But here's the catch- it's a stereo pedal, and it pans the stations from left to right, but each at a different rate and cam angle, based on the day of the week.

Oh, and throughout it all it's got a pretty thick background of "white noise and Ken through a saturated Marshall Valvestate". For "Ken", it will play sample sounds of Afro-Ken singing the following MST3K Parody of a horrible song in a horrible movie:

[music starts]

With a pickled mind,

We kick the nipple beer.

Steady as a goat,

We're flying over trout.

Getto down the highway

At the speed of light.

All I want to feel now is

The wind in my eyes.

Sack of monkeys in my pocket,

My sister's ready to go.

JOEL, TOM & CROW: Hear the engines roar now.

GYPSY: Hear the engines roar now.

JOEL, TOM & CROW: Idiot control now.

GYPSY: Idiot control now.

JOEL, TOM & CROW: Hideous control now.

GYPSY: Hideous control now.

JOEL, TOM & CROW: Nitty on the road now.

GYPSY: Nitty on the road now.

JOEL, TOM & CROW: Midi in control,

Wheels on fire,

Burning rubber tires!

GYPSY: Rubber tires!

[in Deep 13:]

DR. FORRESTER: He's pretty good.

FRANK: Good? He's the BEST!

[in the satellite:]

JOEL, TOM & CROW: Near each other rolls now. [?]

GYPSY: Near--now.

JOEL, TOM & CROW: He really lets me go now.

GYPSY: He--let--go.

JOEL, TOM & CROW: Needy inches bow down.

GYPSY: Bow down!

JOEL, TOM & CROW: Pity and a poor boy.

GYPSY: Poor boy!

JOEL, TOM & CROW: Hear the X's roll,

Peas on fire,

Burning rubber tires.

GYPSY: Tires!

[in Deep 13:]

DR. FORRESTER: Oh great.

FRANK: Say!

DR. FORRESTER: Pretty good.

FRANK: Yeah!

DR. FORRESTER: Whadda ya think?

[in the satellite:]

JOEL: It stinks!

Oh yeah, btw Ken has to be highly intoxicated and hanging upside down.

WWND?

Then, moving towards the "BLOW" extreme it has the edge-fired fuzz circuit that picks up not only a Mexican music station, but an upper-register satellite data feed.

Wouldn't the satellite data feed be too high-pitched to hear? That's gotta be above 5kHz, which I'm pretty sure I've been told is the limit of human hearing. But it would be cool to drive all the cats in the neighborhood away. :)

Maybe we can find a way to modulate the guitar signal by the mexican radio station's signal. :confused:

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Human hearing is typically 20Hz-20Khz, iirc...

I probably lost the top 5Khz in one show, though. I used to be able to stand at the road in front of a house at night and hear the UHF from the T.V. sets. Not any more :(

actually, i don't remember where satellite data feeds are at. I used to have a boombox that had some insane range capabilities on the radio. I could pick up HAM radio signals, AM, FM, stuff that sounded like UHF Television rebroadcast, and of course, the whole swath of stuff that was constant beeping and tones. Come to think of it, it may or may not be satellite transmission... i just called it that at the time.

I have no idea what it was, but i've always been curious.

Oh, and for the record, if i stick my TubeScreamer into the FX loop of my Goblin, i can pick up radio stations.

Maybe we can find a way to modulate the guitar signal by the mexican radio station's signal.

The REAL goal is to be able to modulate the Mexican Radio Station with the guitar :D

WWND?

Archived