Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roger Linn

Bruce,

I'm all over your book, thank you. I couldn't help starting at the back and reading the Roger Linn Interview.

Roger and I both have something in common and that is we've both done a considerable amount of work with Leon Russell. I've had full access to Leon's Tape Vault and have spent many hours archiving his Master Tapes including all the Roger Linn sessions.

Leon has over 10,000 2" 40-trk 15ips tapes in his vault. That's right 40-track 2" tapes. Leon owns two Stephens 40-track Machines .. serial #1 & #2.

The picture I've included is the same machine Roger Linn did his engineering on, and in my archiving work I've archived the 1st prototype of his famous Drum Machines. Bruce, in your interview with Roger he talks about what an initiator Leon Russell is. It was Leon who encouraged Roger Linn, that if he could make a machine with separate outputs for each drum sound, he would really have a huge breakthrough in developing the Drum Machine.

Another one of Leon's idea's was the "jog wheel" on the Synthesizer. When I recorded Leon with the Nashville Symphony, several weeks before the session Leon had me get the Markertech catalog out and order special hardware to allow us to mount the microphone stands from the ceiling !!!!! He wanted to be able to keep the floor area clear for the musicians... and that's how it was done.

Anyway before I get side tracked some more here's a picture of the machine Roger Linn worked on. Roy Thomas Baker also has one and recorded many Queen records on this type of machine. The extra tracks surely came in handy for that.

enjoy,

Russ

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/60/60029/folders/30712/1409944StephensTapeMach.JPG

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Need to get that book. I was surprised of how good a guitar player the man is after going to the Adrinalinn website and watching the man put everything through its paces.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

i picked my copy of the Linn drum personally in 1982 at his little factory in the Valley and dozens of little sound chips too...

What a nice time that was working in Burbank. However, if i ever listen to that work from then, i wish i would not have used the Linn or the Synclavier

-Peace, Love, and Potahhhhto

Archived