Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NAMM 2005 ShOW NEWS

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UA updated their UAD-1 software again and announced a new mastering EQ, the precision EQ matches up to their precision limiter released awhile back.

Cakewalk has release a new patch 4.2 which fixes some of the VST issues of the prior version. They also announced a 64 bit version of Sonar.

That's all I have from press releases, will be on the floor tomorrow.

The funniest product is right by the escalator. It's a hand tooled leather holster and belt...for a mic.

It might look funny to you, but one of my distant ancestors (the prankster that he was) pulled out a toy gun and pointed it. He was quickly shot to death. He never played any more jokes after that. If anyone believes that the mic case is a real gun it could cause big trouble.

Dan

http://teachmedrums.com

Just got in from the floor...Line 6 didn't have a booth, All the Booth's seemed "Downsized" I really wasn't impressed with anything there. I did like the Hartman Neuron Plugin but that's about it.

Rob

Originally posted by RKing:

Just got in from the floor...Line 6 didn't have a booth

Rob

Actually, they're showing in a room at the Marriott just above the Yamaha ballroom. I'll pop in there tomorrow to see what's up, but I doubt that there will be anything new apart from their stompboxes.

"For instance" is not proof.

I was just reaing that amongst many other new features,that kontakt 2 will be able to import Korg Triton Patches(among other new formats)thanks to it's "Universal Import" feature.Although I'm confused about that,all I can say is bring it on............ Anyway,here's a list of all new features with kontakt 2 www.kvraudio.com/news/2910.html
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Jan 20th, Anahim CA. Two of the finest moderators of MusicPlayer.com's forums were having a nice conversation at the Music Sales booth, while a freaking mexican was paying attention, pretending he understood their foreign language.

:D

In other words, I met Craig and Phil today. A couple of hours later, I met my good ol' friend Geoff Grace and after that, ZERONYNE in person :thu:

See you at the NAMM Dinner.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by Alndlnbot:

Yikes! Those willing to shell out for reverb,the TC System 6000 VSS3 comes to PowerCore .Just when I was going to get the UAD for the plate comes another wonderful wrench in the gears.

Actually, the best sounding verbs in the TC6000 use the DRV (I thinkt that's what it's called) and VSS4 algo's.

I never used the VSS3 verbs in it.

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

My Spanish is great!

Me pantalones estan fuego!

That means, "Pardon me, Miss. Can you show me where the bathroom is?" :D:freak:

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

NAMM report -

Does the world really need another guitar or amplifier manufacturer? I mean, how do these people survive?

Ok let's get the star stuff out of the way first. Met, Peter Frampton. Stood in a group talking to Carlos Santana. Shook hands and got an autograph from Jim Marshall - ahem, Marshall amps. Saw the guitar player from Heart, Howard Lease. Along with a ton of newer groups, many who I don't know the names of but, let's say their clothes range from black to well, more black. Lot's of tatoos. Nice people though.

Gear and things.

UA showed off their new 4110 and 8110 preamp racks claiming that they were going for a "Nevish Sound". Did not get a chance to verify if they acutally accomplished the goal. They also showed off the new UAD-1 Precision EQ. Whew! That thing sounds incredible especially the 27KHz band. Just takes the sound up into the air zone. Very nice. I did not win the 1PM or 4PM giveaway for a UAD-1 card. Bummer.

Cakewalk - Not a lot of news here. Greg was in the booth. Some of their QA guys were also around to answer technical questions. I got some good tips on working with VSTs in the environment.

East West showed off an incredible new sample package called Quantam Leap RA (like the sun god) Probably one of the best collections of mid eastern and far eastern percussion, chants and sounds I have heard. Really good stuff.

I did see one very interesting product which is a 1073 clone with external power supply for $795 list. The company had a real 1073 so you could A/B the two and they came pretty close, not all the way, towards the sound. Chamelion Labs was the company, so keep and eye out for them. This could be hot in the coming months.

Played with BFD to compare it to DFHS. I have the latter. BFD definitely has a slicker interface but the sample range is better with DFHS. For those who like artificial drums these are the top two in my estimation. The DFHS demo had a new human interface, let's call it, for inputing midi data for drums. It looks like a tree branch with touch sensitive pads that correspond to kick, snare, toms, cymbals etc. You cradle it like an autoharp and let your fingers do the work. Very interesting device. Look for KAT percussion controllers, these too were interesting.

Saw the Aurora 8 and 16 from Lynx and good news. If you already have a LynxII card you don't have to buy the AES 16 interface card. According to their software engineer, there is a short cable they provide to turn your existing card into the interface. This is for 8 channels, the 16 has not been fully tested yet.

There were a ton of guitar slides that were half cut and rotateable on your finger. This was so you can use the slide then quickly rotate it away from your finger to play normally. Some pipe cutter had a good NAMM I would wager.

Royer had a new gold plated mic, did not get the model.

Audio Technica displayed cutaways of some of their most poplular mics and I finally got a better understanding of their line. The 4033/CL stands for classic I found out. Same as all previous versions of this mic. The 4050 is the same mic, as it turns out, only with variable patterns. That was a suprise to me. The 4047 has a transformer which smooths out the response. Kind of a poor man version of their tube 4060. This is not new stuff, I just found it interesting.

MXL has a new Silicon based mic which sounds similar to their V69 only without a tube. The price is about $100 cheaper. It will be out in April.

Manley had nothing new. But since they make the best stuff on the planet that is not a crime.

A-Designs showed their preamps and I was impressed with the clarity and fullness of the MP2. I'd like to do a shoot out in the future with this one.

Coolest thing at the show. Guitar picks that snap in and out of a credit card frame which you can keep in your wallet. They only had medium picks at this time but said the heavy weights are coming. I brought one of these home.

What else?

A gizillion guitars and amps.

Lot's of monitors but hard to test monitors in a noisy hall.

Studio Projects had some new mics but I did not get a chance to play with them. The new Joemeek stuff looked really good.

Hundreds of chinese companies looking to source.

That's the gist of my day.

Originally posted by Middle Man:

The DFHS demo had a new human interface, let's call it, for inputing midi data for drums. It looks like a tree branch with touch sensitive pads that correspond to kick, snare, toms, cymbals etc. You cradle it like an autoharp and let your fingers do the work. Very interesting device.

Do you mean a Zen Drum?

Link

Or something new from the DFHS people?

Originally posted by DJDM:

I'm considering some options for a laptop keyboard controller purchase.

I posted a little blurb about it in the Keyboard Corner.

Has anyone tried the Alesis Photon X25 yet? Thoughts?

Have you seen the new keyboard controller from Korg? (not the monster thingy). The keyboard controller is around $500 and looks pretty good from the pics.
Dooby Dooby Doo

I think Duddits is right, Lance. From what I read, Reason 3.0 is going to have two-way integration with the new Korg 49-key controller. With its touchpads and (finally) full-size keys, I think it is one to check out.

Cheers,

Mark

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

I think Duddits is right, Lance. From what I read, Reason 3.0 is going to have two-way integration with the new Korg 49-key controller. With its touchpads and (finally) full-size keys, I think it is one to check out.

Cheers,

Mark

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

Did anyone see the violin-guitar in the basement? That actually sounded really good. I will post more on this later, as well as other stuff that I saw. I think I'm going back tomorrow (Sunday), so maybe I'll see some more fun stuff. I didn't see so much today because I got there late, was in a daze for the first hour because I was simultaneously sleep and overwhelmed by all the noise and commotion, and also because I went to the Producer's Forum and kept running into people that I knew (always fun!). But nevertheless, I saw some interesting stuff!

Archived