Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My first ride in an ambulance (Or why I hate townhouses)

Well, I did it last Friday morning. Stepped outside to get the paper, slipped on the wet grass and broke my ankle in two places. I managed to crawl back into the house (Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!) and got in touch with my wife before she made it to work. She came home and between her and a neighbor, there was no way they were going to get me to the car. (I'm a pretty big guy) So, I got my first broken bone and first ambulance ride after 54 years of relative orthopaedic health. The ER splinted my ankle, today I got a hard cast, in a month I'll progress to a walking cast. So, I've got several weeks of climbing the stairs one step at a time on my butt, trying to figure out how to bathe, not to mention what am I going to do for work?! I'm a delivery driver, and that's definitely out, hopefully I can do some light duty stuff around the warehouse after I figure out how to get to the car and drive. I've got band jobs coming up the next two weekends, that should be fun, playing sitting down. Don't think I'll be much help with loading equipment, either. The ironic thing is that the day before New Years Eve, our drummer stepped on a brick coming down from a ladder, and tore ligaments and muscles on his (kick) ankle. He made it through the night and did pretty well, so I guess I can play sitting down. Oh, well, enough of my rant, it just looks like it's going to be pretty boring the next couple months!

My gear: http://fendercaster.freeservers.com/guit3.html

If you own two Lexus cars, do you have Lexi?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had to do a show with a banged up foot. I had to use the stool, too.

But, it was during a Jerry Lewis MD charity event. So the soundman went and changed the sign from "Playing for Muscular Distrophy" to "Playing WITH Muscular Dystrophy".

Leave out a tip jar, too.

I quite admire your attitude, you're posting agonising over what you are going to do at work and how you are going to make your gig commitments without, it seems, any possibility of simply not doing them!!!

I'd just sit on my rear and let people pamper me :D

I'll e a signature too, you can print it on your cast. Let us know how the gigs go...!

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Boy, reminds me of November of '03...my fun knee surgery.

The following January, a guy who signed up for my beginning guitar class slipped on the ice and broke BOTH ARMS! What a ton of fun! :eek::freak::rolleyes:

Ah well, just remember it could have been worse. Here's raising a morning cup of hazelnut flavored steaming hot java to your speedy recovery... :D

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Fendercaster:

Well, I did it last Friday morning. Stepped outside to get the paper, slipped on the wet grass and broke my ankle in two places. I managed to crawl back into the house (Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!) and got in touch with my wife before she made it to work. She came home and between her and a neighbor, there was no way they were going to get me to the car. (I'm a pretty big guy) So, I got my first broken bone and first ambulance ride after 54 years of relative orthopaedic health. The ER splinted my ankle, today I got a hard cast, in a month I'll progress to a walking cast. So, I've got several weeks of climbing the stairs one step at a time on my butt, trying to figure out how to bathe, not to mention what am I going to do for work?! I'm a delivery driver, and that's definitely out, hopefully I can do some light duty stuff around the warehouse after I figure out how to get to the car and drive. I've got band jobs coming up the next two weekends, that should be fun, playing sitting down. Don't think I'll be much help with loading equipment, either. The ironic thing is that the day before New Years Eve, our drummer stepped on a brick coming down from a ladder, and tore ligaments and muscles on his (kick) ankle. He made it through the night and did pretty well, so I guess I can play sitting down. Oh, well, enough of my rant, it just looks like it's going to be pretty boring the next couple months!

Ouch!

Hang in there.

The band-injury thing reminds me of my old band, Machine Dog (don't look it up, you won't find it). On August 23, 1980, our drummer got in a fight (one of his old metalhead friends was giving him a hard time for cutting his hair so he decided to pummel the guy mercilessly. Amusingly, our drummer got his foot caught in the bleachers they were drinking in, and broke it good). In mid September, our rhythm player and co-singer wrapped his pickup truck around a tree and was lucky enough to get away with a broken ankle and a removed gallbladder. On October 23, exactly two months after our drummer's 'accident' someone t-boned me on my motorcycle. I had a broken femur, ruptured femoral artery, an exploded hip socket, and, of course, a broken ankle.

I called up our lead guitarist from the hospital and told him, whatever ou do, watch out for your ankles, man! (He escaped the curse.)

Thanks, guys, for your well wishes and encouragement. After only five days, it's getting pretty boring. I'm pretty much stuck upstairs, getting downstairs is a real pain in the ass, literally.

The doc didn't say whether I'd have recurring pains or not, I guess ir depends on how well the ankle heals. I got a prescription for a bunch of Percocet, but don't want to get dependent on them, I haven't taken any since Saturday.

I have a guitar and small amp up here, so I can get some practise in, and I'm hoping a friend will bring my recorder and monitors up for me, I've got plenty of time to work on the cd I've been promising my wife for years!

Break a leg. :D

Oh, wait, you already did. :cry:

Dak, only you could come up with that!! :D:D

Thanks again for your support, Scott......

My gear: http://fendercaster.freeservers.com/guit3.html

If you own two Lexus cars, do you have Lexi?

Archived