Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tedster's newest avatar

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to build U/C models when I was around 10-14yrs. Never had $$ for RC, or the patience to learn to fly them. After a few flights, some of my planes ended up as equal parts balsa wood and 5 minute epoxy. :D

In my basement, I still have a U/C biplane with a built-up fuselage that I completed but never used. It's almost like a Pitts Special, maybe a 32" wingspan. It has a great paint scheme: blue body with graduated white stars down the side, red and white striped wings & tail section, with gold pinstriping.

There's something adventurous and romantic about flying, especially small planes, I'd say. Someday I'd like to learn to pilot planes. And how much more adventurous can flying get than the era of bi- and tri-planes, when there were few airfields, plenty of remote, back country to discover, and planes allowed pilots to cover area in travel times previously unimagined.

I would love to have been a pilot in that era. (sigh)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

The introduction of planes in WWI was a bizarre meeting of old school military professional ethos and the meatgrinder of modern warfare. Maybe no plane is so symbolic of that, somehow, as the tri-wing Fokker, probably because of the association with von Richthofen.

Those old canvas-and-dope planes really bring home the heroic, if hubristic impulses of the early fliers.

Ahhh...I just saw the triplane pic on the web, Dean. I don't know of a replica here in KC.

Not sure about Noah's Ark...seems I might have heard of it, but it may have closed down.

One of my prized books is an autographed copy of Eddie Rickenbacker's "Fighting the Flying Circus"...his tales of arriving on the front lines in WWI. By the time Rickenbacker saw action, the Red Baron had been killed, but his Flying Circus was still a formidable unit.

It's mentioned that when aviation first arrived on the scene in WWI, pilots of opposing sides waved to each other while on reconnaissance missions (I can't spell anymore, sorry)...then took to shooting at each other with pistols...then the first machine guns, either mounted on the upper wing to shoot over the prop, or with metal plates on the prop to deflect bullets shot from a fuselage-mounted gun, and finally to an interruptor gear, which enabled the gun to fire between the blades of the prop without shooting it off.

I'm sure those days seem more glamorous now than they really were. :D

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Yes, it's a different war, but hey, how often does military aviation get discussed on this forum??

Perhaps you've heard about a WW-II revival project involving the German Me-262 jet fighter. Here's a LINK

http://www.classic-aircraft.oldclassiccar.co.uk/photo_085.jpg

"If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - J. R. R. Tolkien

Archived