Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ocala, Fl.... in the news

Bruce,

We've known about this for a few days now, but I just found out yesterday that this happened in your home town!!! The news crew drove past the Home Depot and Chillies, looks just like my neighborhood in Nashville. Steven Michael Ekberg is going to be in some serious trouble. I thought LA was bad, it's hard to be safe ANYWHERE now days. Sure feels good to be in the Studio when things like this are happening around us.

Russ

OCALA - Investigators have arrested a local man who they say had an arsenal of weapons and a supply of one of the world's most lethal toxins stashed inside his mother's home in a quiet Marion County neighborhood.

In a federal criminal complaint, the authorities who descended on the home, at 7625 SW 10th St., allege that two searches turned up at least one glass vial of a brown granular substance which tested positive as ricin, a deadly poison which can kill if inhaled, swallowed or injected into the blood stream. Investigators say they also found four separate plastic bags containing a total of 83 castor beans, from which ricin is derived, and a vial of huskless castor beans, according to the complaint. They also seized numerous firearms, including a semi -automatic AK-47 assault rifle and an Uzi submachine gun.

Following the searches, Steven Michael Ekberg, 22, was arrested at home Wednesday night on federal charges of possession of a biological agent. If convicted, he could face up to 10 years in prison and a fine of as much as $250,000. He also faces state weapons and drugs charges stemming from an arrest earlier in January.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was a student at UF (Univ. of Florida to the unwashed..) in Gainesville (late 1970's..), Ocala was THE destination for several fellow students.

Seems they went "shrooming", looking for wild mushrooms growing in those fertile horse pastures near Ocala..

Not sure what they "did" with those wild mushrooms but the local constabulary was not amused.. :)

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Archived