Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FTP client software - what's good?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by spokenward:

Here's another:

http://www.coreftp.com/

This is what they think about it-

meta name="Description" content="FTP software for Windows. A fast, reliable, secure FTP client with SFTP (SSH), SSL, and TLS support. Download our free FTP client today."

Whoa! What a nice ftp client. I'll give it another couple of trials but first impression is great. It looks like it's so long ACE.

It's going to depend on if I can ftp large files without hanging. That was the ftp Commander issue. The only issue I have with ACE ftp is the nag screen and it does run an ad.

Smart ftp did some weird things with the layout on an upgrade and I could never get it back to the layout I wanted. Other than that it worked fine. I used it for a couple of years until that upgrade problem. That's when I A/B'd ACE and Commander.

Phil, definately give this Core FTP Client a shot.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

I've been using Fetch since about 1975, or so it would seem. ;)

It still works. No brokee = no fixee.

- Jeff

Fetch (for the Macintosh) is less "free" than it used to be during the Dartmouth days. On the Mac I have been using Cyberduck which is open source and supports SFTP.

Originally posted by spokenward:

Fetch (for the Macintosh) is less "free" than it used to be during the Dartmouth days.

Yes, I've been using the same tired old copy of free "Dartmouth" Fetch that I've now had around for years. I think I've had that same Fetch on three different Macs over the years. Still works.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Super 8:

FTP Commander is good. Somebody here recommended it to me.

EZ

Gets the job done.

FREE.

You haven't had it lock up transferring large files? I had lots of stall problems when uploading mp3 files and even downloading similar sized files.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

I do a lot of uploading for different web sites and FTP transfer of hi-res photos (batches of small files as well as HUGE).

I tried some freeware solutions at first but am now using WS_FTP Pro , IMO the difference is worth the (minor) expense.

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Originally posted by DakLander:

Originally posted by Super 8:

FTP Commander is good. Somebody here recommended it to me.

You haven't had it lock up transferring large files? I had lots of stall problems when uploading mp3 files and even downloading similar sized files.
No, it's never done that as far as I can remember. I don't do a lot of large files with it, but the one's I have done it's worked just fine. Maybe we have different versions.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Archived