Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My turn to post about Quincy...

I just saw him on TV doing a commercial for mentoring.org where he talks about sharing what you know... major props to the man for giving back and encouraging others to do likewise. :thu:

He even talks about the knowledge and experience that comes with age. Too bad more of the industry doesn't see things that way.

Anyway, I thought it was cool and thought I'd mention it... has anyone else seen the spot?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

I just saw him on TV doing a commercial for mentoring.org where he talks about sharing what you know... major props to the man for giving back and encouraging others to do likewise. :thu:

He even talks about the knowledge and experience that comes with age. Too bad more of the industry doesn't see things that way.

Anyway, I thought it was cool and thought I'd mention it... has anyone else seen the spot?

Yes, I've seen it. The man has class. Something that's in very short supply these days.

Just the other day someone sent me a limited edition autographed copy of Sir George Martin's autobiography "Playback." I was totally stunned and shocked and ecstatic to receive it. What a beautiful book.

Anyway, George Martin speaks very highly of Quincy Jones in this book, as a gentlemen, a friend, and his incredible talents.

c-ya,

Dan Worley

I saw it just before I logged in now, and I thought it was a great ad...it felt like he was talking from his true self, and didn't have that copywritten feel.

cheers,

aeon

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

I picked up Quincy's autobiography at the library last year, great read, a lot of good stories. Even though autobiographies are invaribaly skewed to make the subject seem great, he does genuinely seem to be a class act.

Take care,

Dahkter

Folks......

Everything good that you can say about Quincy Jones is only half the story. Quincy and I have worked togther since 1959. He is the very best! I talk to him every week.

Quincy's use of the language is singular! We have had a lot of incredible times in the studio!

Bruce Swedien

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Well, SGM has always struck me as another excellent example of someone with "class". :thu:

That's cool. I met Geoff Emerick briefly once, and the guy seemed so down-to-earth and humble and nice and cool. It must have been awesome to work with these people at the same time. Also, I've heard nothing but good things about Q.

And that Bruce guy seems pretty cool, too!!!

Yeah, Quincy rocks!

http://www.crazyabouttv.com/Images/quincy.jpg

But the show has made tens of millions in syndication, and poor Klugmen says he hasn't seen a dime.

Lousy TV execs.... :evil:

By the way, the Austin Powers theme "Soul Bossa Nova" is an old 60's Quincy tune. I was suprised to find that out. That song and the Austin dance intro go so well together, and the song is so campy, I swore they wrote it for the film.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

As a kid I had two of his albums "Hip Hits" and "Music for Pussycats" - big band arrangements of pop hits.

I remember and arrangemant of "I can get no satisfaction" performed with 5 french horns and 5 trombones and played at around 60 bpm :)

My big brush with fame as a kid was that I actually played his version of "What's New Pussycat" to a very young Tom Jones when he was a support act on the Hermans Hermits tour of New Zealand - he'd never heard it before :)

cheers

john

Originally posted by Super 8:

Yeah, Quincy rocks!

http://www.crazyabouttv.com/Images/quincy.jpg

My aunt was a nurse, and Quincy was her hero.

I don't think she was a big fan of that "Jones" fellow, but personally, I think he's almost as cool as Jack Klugman.

:D

BTW, Body Heat was one of my first record purchases. That trombone solo in Everything Must Change, holy cow!

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Archived