Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A Deserted Tropical Island.....

Everybody......

If you were sent to a a deserted tropical island, to record a vbery famous musical group, and were allowed to bring only one microphone with your recording system - What would that microphone be?

The first person that tries to turn this into Comedy Central - Powee - Right in the kisser!!!!

Besides - I've seen your jokes!!!(I've heard more intelligent repartee in my chicken house!!!)

Brucie the Viking!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With it being a deserted island, assuming their would be no electricity handy, I'd probably go with a wireless rig. I'm fond of AKG microphones, so I'd probably go with the AKG WMS 4000 for field/beach ;) use.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

I've seen your jokes!!!(I've heard more intelligent repartee in my chicken house!!!)

BTW, I thought it was a cat house... :D do you keep chicken's too? If so, I've GOT to see the photos of your custom coop. ;)

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

Hi,

there was a test in a german studio-magazine some years ago with all the "high-end" mics. (Production Partner was the magazine). They used a Yamaha-Disc-klavier Piano to play a classical tune and recorded it with different mics. They had all the tracks on a cd included with the magazine, the one i liked best was from a Sony mic. They also had Neumanns and Calrec etc. but to me the Sony sounded the most natural. I was working with neumanns in my studio in that time, and i could not afford to buy that Sony (Don't Know the name of the mic, it was about 3500$).

If I am only allowed to bring a mic i allready own, it would be my SM58, because thats the only one left after we closed and sold the old studio.

Harald F. Metzner

http://www.soundwand.de

----------------------------------

Well, if I were sent to a a deserted tropical island, to record a vbery famous musical group, and were allowed to bring only one microphone with my recording system, I would first consider the environment.

A "deserted tropical island" is probably a fairly harsh coastal environment, so I'm going to want to bring a sturdy, humidity-resistant, all-purpose microphone. Not some sensitive, fragile German LDC; no, that would be toast within a few days. And if someone dropped it?!! Oh, my! There went OUR ONLY MIC!!! Well, as producer of this session, I'm certainly not going to let something like that happen! HECK, NO!

My choice of microphones for this session would be the almighty Electro-Voice RE20. I'd be able to record whatever I need to with that single mic. Great for overdubs! And it's humidity-resistant and tough as nails. The RE20 is also useful as a weapon, in case your island is invaded by pirates.

Only one mic? Tough call.

SM57 would have to be considered. Maybe the Audix i-5. Bunny's choice of the RE20 has merit IMO... but I don't think I would want to be without a 251 (or a variation thereof), so I think that's my pick. Final answer. :) I think the multiple polar patterns would come in handy. And I can make a 251 work on a lot of different things.

Bunny.....                        

------------------------------------------------------------------------

My choice of microphones for this session would be the almighty Electro-Voice RE20. I'd be able to record whatever I need to with that single mic. Great for overdubs! And it's humidity-resistant and tough as nails. The RE20 is also useful as a weapon, in case your island is invaded by pirates.

Brucie sez--->Bunny - Excellent answer! The Electro-Voice RE-20 is an excellent "Repel Boarders" weapon!

Have you ever used an EV-666. That's the mike I used to use on Little Richard because it is so robust. The EV sales rep used to walk up to me and extend the EV-666 in his hand, and on purpose, before I could grasp it, he would drop it on the tiled studio floor!!! He would then laugh and say..."No Problem!". I still have my "Little Richard" mike!

Brucie the Viking!

Ani.....

I've seen your jokes!!!(I've heard more intelligent repartee in my chicken house!!!)

BTW, I thought it was a cat house... do you keep chicken's too? If so, I've GOT to see the photos of your custom coop.

Brucie sez--->Yes - I have chickens! In fact I love chickens. No self-respecting Viking would be without chickens, would they? Where have you been?

Brucie the Viking!

Brucie sez--->Have you ever used an EV-666.

Bunny sez---> No I haven't used an EV-666, Bruce, but I like the model number! Did you use it on Little Richard's vocals, or his piano? Out of my small mic collection, my RE20 is my favorite for many purposes. I love it on kick drum!

I happen to have a chicken coop in my backyard. No chickens yet, but I oughta raise poultry, huh? But, we've got coyotes that prowl around here at night. They'd have a field day with chickens.

I was going to say an SM-58 as well, as far as an all-around workhorse.

But, an RE20, now that's a swell mic! Used to use RE20s in broadcasting...they make a squeebly little voice like mine sound like Don Pardoe. :D

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Bunny sez---> No I haven't used an EV-666, Bruce, but I like the model number! Did you use it on Little Richard's vocals, or his piano? Out of my small mic collection, my RE20 is my favorite for many purposes. I love it on kick drum!

Phil the Mick sez --> I'm going to have to get one of those one of these days... if Bunny likes 'em, that's good enough for me! :thu:;)

PS I don't have a 666, but I do have three or four 664's sitting in the closet somewhere...

Philip O'Keefe.....                    

Only one mic? Tough call.

SM57 would have to be considered. Maybe the Audix i-5. Bunny's choice of the RE20 has merit IMO... but I don't think I would want to be without a 251 (or a variation thereof), so I think that's my pick. Final answer.

Phillip-This is the deal--->I think the multiple polar patterns would come in handy. And I can make a 251 work on a lot of different things.

Oh, by the way - Did I mention the fact that we won't be coming back from this trip? - There's no way OFF this deserted Tropical Island - NOW - What mike would you bring?

AND Who would you bring along as a companion? (hee-hee)

Bruce Swedien

Hmmm... either the RE20 or the SM57 would probably last longer, and a ELA M251 is probably too old and fragile. If I went with a 251, and long-term reliability is going to be an issue, then I'll go with a Soundelux ELUX 251 - much better built IMO. And I'll find a way to sneak some of my NOS Mullard and Telefunken 6072's along too, just in case I eventually need to replace a tube. ;)

When I pick the 251, I'm assuming we're going to have some sort of INDOOR environment to record in on this hypothetical island. If it's outdoors, and near the ocean, I'd definitely go with the dynamic... probably the RE20. I've never heard one, but if Bunny says they're good... ;):D

Everybody......

Did I forget to mention that, on our Deserted Tropical Island, there's a flawless replica of Carnegie Hall with a perfectly designed and constructed control room on the first floor.

Of course all we have is one microphone. I wonder what kind of microphone pre-amp we should bring?

Incidently, did I also mention to you that a good imagination is one of a recording person's most valuable assets? Hmmmmmm....

Brucie the Viking!

Bruce, you mentioned there's no way off the island, or at least that 'we" can't come back... but does FedEx deliver there?

--------------------

Phil O'Keefe

.. and do they have McDonalds? I would bring my cat Gipsy, 'cause my wife will get bored on an island within minutes. And Gipsy likes my music better than Dagmar...

As Mic-Amp i would bring the one i built myself for my diploma in engineering at the university (never found a better one ;) )

Harald F. Metzner

http://www.soundwand.de

----------------------------------

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Bunny sez---> ... RE20 is my favorite for many purposes. I love it on kick drum!

Phil the Mick sez --> I'm going to have to get one of those one of these days... if Bunny likes 'em, that's good enough for me! :thu:;)

OK, it should be pointed out here that Phil was the guy who originally turned me on to the RE20. He also informed me about the Oktava MC-012. Mucho props to Phil! :thu:

I'd pick a 1073 or a 610 or something like that to go with the ELUX 251... they tend to help tame the top a bit...

And yes, if it's indoors, and assuming I can get FedEx to bring me replacement parts (or can bring them with me), I still want a 251.

But as long as we're imagining things, I'd like to imagine a multi-purpose, "super mic" with ribbon, condenser and dynamic operating modes, as well as a laser operating mode, and a few other goodies. It would be flat from DC to light, or could have any F response curve I wanted dialed in, with any polar pattern... including XY stereo...

I'd do some imaginary "super preamp" to go along with it.

You SAID imagination was a good thing. :)

Oh, and I'd rather imagine the Concertgebouw instead of Carnegie... :D

Originally posted by Bunny.:

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Bunny sez---> ... RE20 is my favorite for many purposes. I love it on kick drum!

OK, it should be pointed out here that Phil was the guy who originally turned me on to the RE20. He also informed me about the Oktava MC-012. Mucho props to Phil! :thu:
Ssssh! It was supposed to be an INSIDE joke... now Brucie is going to know I was joking around, and you know what THAT means.... POW! Right in the kisser! :eek::D

Archived