Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

All right, all you PC geeks!

i just bought myself one of those cute little shuttle PC's. you buy the case/box, and it comes with motherboard etc..

so you just add harddrive(s), cpu, and ram (and other things you need, cd burner etc)

very cheap, very quiet, very tiny and very cute :)

http://us.shuttle.com/

i bought the model that they make musicxpc's from. www.musicxpc.com

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Hendmik:

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

I would strongly recommend aganst two sticks of 256 MB RAM

Curious about this comment.
I believe what was suggested is dual-channel memory, where the board supports a faster bus speed between them. That might be incorrect, however, it is a performance boost that is not that much more expensive, however, I would suggest two 512s if you go this route, as upgradeability (a new word) may be impacted depending on the motherboard. Also, most boards only support one matched set, so any additional memory would ruin the performance increase.

John

-----------

John\'s Songs

Nice, Dylan! I was hoping you'd chime in too. :) Yeah, that looks like a good way to go and the Antec case looks great.

Hmm, I can see I've got a lot of mulling over to do! Appreciate all the comments (and welcome more). I won't be able to order this puppy till February so I've got a little time to research.

You know, I used to be a big advocate for the Shuttle SFF systems, but after recent events I can no longer recommend them, unfortunately. I had been running an older Shuttle based on the Nforce chipset for Athlon XPs for a few years. At first, it was great. It was quiet, fast, and ran fairly cool. Then I wanted to use it as a DAW so I needed to add a 2nd hard drive. Adding this decreased the airflow and caused major heating issues. Recently, I tried swapping out the one and only case fan with something new, but it didnt help. Even after I took the 2nd drive out the fan would still be going buck wild to keep the system cool, making the system unholy loud.

At the end of the day, I ended up buying a new ATX Asus motherboard built with the same chipset and an Antec case to put everything in. Now, I have a quiet, cool, and faster system. Thats right, all of the same components actually run faster with the new PSU and motherboard. The Shuttle stuff if cute, but not cheap or very expandable. Youre pretty much paying around $300 for a small little case, a weak power supply, and a motherboard with 1 PCI/AGP slot. For the hardcore LAN gamer that doesnt need many drives the Shuttles are great. But for everyone else, I think there are more sensible and better performing options. But who knows, maybe the newer systems run cooler.

Originally posted by jla@hib.no:

i just bought myself one of those cute little shuttle PC's. you buy the case/box, and it comes with motherboard etc..

so you just add harddrive(s), cpu, and ram (and other things you need, cd burner etc)

very cheap, very quiet, very tiny and very cute :)

http://us.shuttle.com/

i bought the model that they make musicxpc's from. www.musicxpc.com

I looked at those for possible off site computer recording and tossed the idea. (nice and small, easy to carry & etc) The power supplies were too small to count on and the airflow scheme didn't look all that good if additional hardware was stuffed in.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Nice, Dylan! I was hoping you'd chime in too. :) Yeah, that looks like a good way to go and the Antec case looks great.

That case is a helluva deal. I paid more for the Sonata version when buidling my P4 DAW and I wish that I had found this case first. I like the non-glossy look and the fact that it doesn't have the door that mine has. BTW, I'm more than happy to build this for you free of charge + shipping if you are not comfortable building it yourself. Or I could walk you through the build process. Feel free to drop me a PM if you are interested.

Archived