Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just bought a house (closed today 1.10.05)...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry!

I'm now definately in packing mode.

Closed on this house today. 3k sq ft + 1k studio ..err basement!

I made an offer (Aug) $25k below what the sellers asked, they declined, I was on tour in Oct/Nov when I got a call from my broker that they'd take my offer.

The house is 2 yrs old (well, now three - 2002). Gas fireplace, the usual acoutrements, 4br 2.5bth on 1.18 acres... This is Dutchess County NY, exactly 55.2 miles (47 by the crow) from where I am now, but a world of difference.

For example, there's no snow on the ground here, there - 6+ inches.

Area is called East Fishkill...

Wish me luck. I'm tired, broke and tired and broke.

NYC Drew

DAMN!

Stylin!

I am impressed. Buyers market now for sure. Enjoy it , man...

I JUST clicked on a link from eq to an acoustic drywall company, which makes drywall that is sound deadening...You are gonna need some:) For the basement...so that the...washer is.....quieter.....yeah, that's it...It needs it own private ....washing room...and...an adjacent observation room....yeah...I think that is the building code here in Fishkill, dear.. :)

Drew my friend, that is a AWSOME looking house. I am SO happy for you!

Yes, you're broke now, but real estate usually goes up in value over the long term... last I heard, they are not making any more land. ;) And in the meantime, you have a cool place to live.

Congrats! :thu:

East Fishkill - that's a name from my past...

My first job after graduation was with IBM, and I had frequent pilgrimages to East Fishkill (I was designing some equipment for their integrated equipment manufacturing line). IBM is a major employer all along that section of the Hudson.

If my memory serves (it was almost 20 years ago), it was a pretty nice town. Congrats on the new place.

js

That sounds great!! Congratulations!!!

I can't see the picture, for some reason. I thought it was one of those "polar bear in a snow storm" sorts of jokes, but no, I guess others can see the pic.

If I had that pad and you had a feather up your ass we'd both be tickled. :D

Great looking place there Drew. Enjoy the hell out of it. I love that style two story. It's going to make you one hell of a fine home.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Wow, can just picture that house and the grounds covered in snow! You guys are lucky, all your houses seem to be detached (at least in that part of the country, haven't been to any others). Ours are crammed together so you can hear the neighbours sneeze :D

Can you say how much that cost, just out of curiosity, slap me if I'm being too nosy! I am looking at buying my first property and the best I've seen so far is a 1 bedroom flat (apartment to most of you) which is on the market for £126,000 ($236,263). Property prices are ridiculous here now :(

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Drew...great to hear you closed on it and nice house! :thu:

Looks like both of us are in packing and moving mode.

Mine is just a little humble pad in Highams Park, London and its got a 100 foot garden with room for expansion and tennis courts at the bottom of the garden and also 3 seperate sports fields and 2 wood lands nearby and studio gained in the garden which is cool.

Its been hell this week and about to make the final move on Saturday but decorating in the day and packing at night so pretty busy.

Good luck with the move and heres my little house and I love it. :) But it looks smaller than it really is in the picture.

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/SharminHall/new+house+1.JPG

Thanks all.

Base, the house was slightly north of $1/2M.

Put in perspective, the house I bought on 1/8th the acreage, 50 yrs older and about 1000sq ft LESS would cost about $650,000 in Westchester County - so long as it was not in Scarsdale, Hartsdale, Pelham, Pelham Manor, Harrison, Katonah, Mt. Kisco, Briarcliff, Armonk(!), Bedford or Potanico Hills. In all of these areas it would probably cost north of $700k+ and the property taxes would be in the region of $10-15-$20K.

I could have gotten the same house for 1/2 the price in other regions in the nation...but a long distance relocate was not in my projections.

Now of course I have tons of questions on garage door openers, water softeners, things that look like DEER and (heavens forbid) BEAR prints in the snow, how to maintain a wood deck, etc etc etc.

Off to work! Ugh, this ball and chain is really hard to lug around...

NYC Drew

Beautiful house, Drew! Love the trees!

Of course, you could probably get the same house here in Kansas City for 1/2 that.. ;) (one of the reasons I love the midwest)...yeah, I know, I know, but "Who wants to live in Kansas City?" (shrug)

Shars...is it true that if you're sitting in an English garden waiting for the sun, and the sun don't come, you get a tan from standing in the English rain?

:D:D:D

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by NYC Drew:

Now of course I have tons of questions on garage door openers, water softeners, things that look like DEER and (heavens forbid) BEAR prints in the snow, how to maintain a wood deck, etc etc etc.

Off to work! Ugh, this ball and chain is really hard to lug around...

NYC Drew

The deer and wood I can help you with, the bears - Maj. Phil and I had a talk about this awhile ago, they can be bastards. Consider putting your garbage in a bomb shelter..lol

:thu:

meh

Archived