Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Worst duo ever... your vote?

50 ways to love your liver was a novelty song. Yup, about as dumb as they come...and became a HUGE HIT. Now what does that tell you about the average listener's mentality? (Not a duo) but the Beastie Boys have a song that makes "50 Ways" sound like the Brandenburg Concerto. I know...what does that have to do with the price of oranges?

Not liking Paul Simon because of "50 Ways" is like hating another famous Paul because of "Silly Love Songs". Dumb, annoying song. Another huge hit. But, the same idiot that wrote "Silly Love Songs" is the genius that wrote "Maybe I'm Amazed", and countless others...just like the same moron who wrote "50 Ways" is the same genius who wrote "Still Crazy" and countless others.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Tedster:

50 ways to love your liver was a novelty song. Yup, about as dumb as they come...and became a HUGE HIT. Now what does that tell you about the average listener's mentality? (Not a duo) but the Beastie Boys have a song that makes "50 Ways" sound like the Brandenburg Concerto. I know...what does that have to do with the price of oranges?

Not liking Paul Simon because of "50 Ways" is like hating another famous Paul because of "Silly Love Songs". Dumb, annoying song. Another huge hit. But, the same idiot that wrote "Silly Love Songs" is the genius that wrote "Maybe I'm Amazed", and countless others...just like the same moron who wrote "50 Ways" is the same genius who wrote "Still Crazy" and countless others.

Exactly correct. Songwriters are just people who write music, some of it's good, and some are real stinkers...everybody experiments to see what works and what doesn't, sometimes the magic is there, and sometimes it isn't. But you have to remember, the big stars are still just people. Sometimes people go together like peanut butter and jelly, bread and butter, meat and potatoes, sometimes, it doesn't work well, like peanut butter and ketchup.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

Originally posted by Super 8:

Elton John and RuPaul

And for a TRIO, I nominate; Rod Steward, Bryan Adams, and Sting.

Too much rasp for one tune.

I don't remember the movie the song was for, but the song really sucked too.

The Three Musketeers from a few years back.

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

Written as a song in whole, NO, but he should be given the credit he deserves for CO-writing the songs that made the duo famous. The songs would be NOTHING without the magical blend in harmonies.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

I can't stand Paul Simon OR Art Garfunkel, but that's just my taste.

I can take Wewus point that it wasn't a true duo, because Simon did all the heavy lifting. Nobody thinks Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey are a "duo", but Daltrey's ability to perform matches perfectly with Townshend's writing.

What's with all these "wort of" threads? :idea:

Originally posted by djwayne:

Songwriters are just people who write music, some of it's good, and some are real stinkers...

And the irony of it is that some folks prefer the stinkers, and turn them into huge hits... (shrug)...
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Holy crap.

50 Ways is a very SMART song. How can this be considered a stupid song, even compared to Sill yLove Songs.?

I think Garfunkel was there just to make Paul Simon seem more attractive.. :)

Worst duo?

Bush and Cheney!! (sorry!)

Really...

Captain and Tenille. ack!

:D

Hey, I remember a thread in S&G quite some time ago where folks put up a few tunes that Simon did solo where I had missed the assocation of the tune to the name. I was going to go back and check out some of his solo stuff, but never got around to it. I'm still in berievement over the death of a fantastic duo and it HURTS too much to listen to one without the other :cry::D

Maybe it's because Art was the disciplined singer that he's known for and Paul's solo voice made my skin crawl.... maybe I just didn't give the actual "songs" a chance. Willie Nelson has some absolutely fantasticly written songs too, but I can't stand to hear his voice.... same with Dolly Parton. I never liked "Still Crazy" either :( I "TRIED" to like Paul Simon as a solo artist for "more than a few tunes" but the magic was lost for both Simon AND Garfunkel when they split.

Randy Newman sucked as an artist with the dumbest song ever to hit the charts "Short People", but that doesn't mean that I don't acknowledge his writing abilities... I couldn't stand Neil Diamond as a performer either, but he's an awesome writer.

Maybe I should say Paul Simon Sucks as a solo ARTIST, and yet, shines as a songwriter.... with the exception of 50 WAYS :rolleyes:

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Originally posted by deanmass:

Holy crap.

Worst duo?

Captain and Tenille. ack!

Oh Yeah.... those two. I second that, deanmass :thu:

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

Originally posted by Ani:

ANYONE singing with a dead person brought back to life through recordings technology!!! [i need one of those barf emoticons here]

Yah Ani nailed it. Kenny G destroying Louis Armstrong and then I saw another abomination this year, Clay Aiken insterting himself with Bing Crosby in the duo Bing did with David Bowie. Just Dreck.
Searching for a new sig

Originally posted by Tedster:

50 ways to love your liver was a novelty song. Yup, about as dumb as they come...and became a HUGE HIT. Now what does that tell you about the average listener's mentality?

It tells me that as inane as a song can get, it can be totally saved my some INCREDIBLY TASTY brushes-on-snare work by Steve Gadd.

"For instance" is not proof.

Acda and de Munnik

Boosh knows what I'm referring to.

Ugly music, horrible singing, like 'De Alpenzusjes'. :D

The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

Originally posted by TheWewus:

Excuse me Paul Simon sucked as a solo artist? Paul Simon has a huge body of work, much greater what Simon and Garfunkel did together and has had I think four or five Platinum albums since the duo breakup, and Garfunkel has done what? And Garfunkel has written what songs?
I don't care what the PLATINUM says.... SIMON SUCKED BIG WA WA as a solo artist!!! :D I could not stand him as a solo act!

On the other hand, teamed with Garfunkle, they were one of my favorite duos to listen to. Garfunkle as a solo act was not that hot either... there was a magic working between the two of them in collaborative efforts.

...BUT........ SIMON SUCKED SOLO!!! :evil:

You are evil. It's Garfunkel not Garfunkle, BTW.

I don't think you've actually listened to what Paul Simon has done and, is still doing, but whatever, I like Artie there's a just a huge gap in talent between the two.

I have owned everything S&G ever did. I have never bought a Paul Simon record. Jus sayin ...
No signature required.

Who can forget the dulcet tones of Rene & Ronata: "Save your luve my darling, save your loooove - a"

Or those who enjoy the sound of rats copulating behind the skirting boards will warm to the melliflous tones of Dolly Parton and Kenny Rodgers singing "Islands in the Stream". They sound like the inland revenue people are squirting hot chili sauce up their backsides.

Originally posted by Jon Doe:

Originally posted by TheWewus:

quote:

Excuse me Paul Simon sucked as a solo artist? Paul Simon has a huge body of work, much greater what Simon and Garfunkel did together and has had I think four or five Platinum albums since the duo breakup, and Garfunkel has done what? And Garfunkel has written what songs?
I don't care what the PLATINUM says.... SIMON SUCKED BIG WA WA as a solo artist!!!
:D
I could not stand him as a solo act!

On the other hand, teamed with Garfunkle, they were one of my favorite duos to listen to. Garfunkle as a solo act was not that hot either... there was a magic working between the two of them in collaborative efforts.

...BUT........
SIMON SUCKED SOLO!!!
:evil:
You are evil. It's Garfunkel not Garfunkle, BTW.

I don't think you've actually listened to what Paul Simon has done and, is still doing, but whatever, I like Artie there's a just a huge gap in talent between the two.
I have owned everything S&G ever did. I have never bought a Paul Simon record. Jus sayin ...

So.......you did notice they split up 20 something years ago, right?

Wewus's response to John Doe's response to Wewus's response to Ani's post :D (geez, must we rewrite the whole book with every post? :rolleyes: )

So.......you did notice they split up 20 something years ago, right?

That is an implication that Paul Simon, as a solo artist, has gone 20 years without selling any materials to John Doe. Yet, when teamed with Art Garfunkel, Paul Simon had a loyal fan that bought every record.

Stop and think about the man just said Wewus...

Originally posted by Jimbroni:

Hall & Oates.

I take umbrage, yes, UMBRAGE at that selection.

(whatever the hell 'umbrage' means - I just loved it when Felix Unger said it..)

I will agree that Hall and Oates BECAME one of the worst duos ever to walk the earth, but their early material was (imho) stellar. Abandoned Luncheonette, War Babies, the self-titled 'silver album', all were prime examples of 70s Philly blue-eyed soul. During their early years with Atlantic, Darryl Hall and Bearsville's Todd Rundgren had the top voices of the genre. Unfortunately, Hall and Oates became a Hit Machine, sacrificing the serious musicianship they shared for the pop-star image.

"Maneater" is not Hall and Oates, at least not in my book.

"70s Scenario" is Hall and Oates.

A shame, really, but their early work is still impressive, even after 30+ years.

Peace,

Tim from Jersey :thu:

Play. Just play.

Archived