Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Worst duo ever... your vote?

Who is the worst duo ever in your opinion? What made them so painful to listen to?

-My pick....Nelly and Tim McGraw's "Over and Over." The top 40 station on our alarm clock plays this pile every morning. Yuck!

Pitty patty drum loop, the repetitiveness, Nelly's nursery rhyme melody, the repetitiveness, that cheesy di'd guitar, the repetitiveness, Tim McGraw's overly dramatic little vocal, the repetitiveness....

Which duo do you nominate?

There is no substitute.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jemini

Britains entry in the Eurovision Song Contest (for those of you who don't know, this is an annual contest to find the most insipid piece of uninspired, elevator-music drivel on the continent) a few years ago and the only entry from any country in the contests ten million year (well, it feels like that everytime it comes around) history to get no points whatsoever...!

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

I'm going to totally shock everyone and say Simon and Garfunkel. Are you over the shock yet?

Ok here's why. Paul Simon was that whole act. He wrote all the songs, played guitar and sang, and Garfunkel shows up and just sings and gets equal billing. No wonder he ditched Garfunkel. :D

I dunno, that new Shania/Mark McGrath thing that's supposed to be music is pretty effing bad. So is the other version with"what'shisname". Both are equally annoying, pedestrian, and awful. :bor:

Hey, just like most of the "New Country" that's coming out these days :D:D

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

Originally posted by Tedster:

Possibly true, except that, no matter what you think of "hits", "Bridge Over Troubled Water" was one of their biggest, written and sung by ol' Artie himself.

TED, that song was not written by ART. Where are you getting that?

Yeah Art has a great voice, but I remember listening to Paul Simon's first solo album wondering if it would be as good, and of course it was. Paul Simon is pretty much a genius, and Art is a great singer.

Ok here's why. Paul Simon was that whole act. He wrote all the songs, played guitar and sang, and Garfunkel shows up and just sings and gets equal billing. No wonder he ditched Garfunkel.
I can't seem to find it in a quick search, but I've read it before that Garfunkle created a lot of the melodies, and CERTAINLY added the harmonies, but since he was incapable of scoring music; Simon took credit for the WRITING of the music. Seems to me that this was a portion of their fall out.... it's been some time since I've read up on it but IIRC, Simon took more credit than what he deserved. Garfunkle could have hired a music transcriber and taken the claim for his contributions to the duo. Paul Simon sucked as a solo artist... IMO. The team was fantastic.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

Originally posted by Ani:

Ok here's why. Paul Simon was that whole act. He wrote all the songs, played guitar and sang, and Garfunkel shows up and just sings and gets equal billing. No wonder he ditched Garfunkel.
I can't seem to find it in a quick search, but I've read it before that Garfunkle created a lot of the melodies, and CERTAINLY added the harmonies, but since he was incapable of scoring music; Simon took credit for the WRITING of the music. Seems to me that this was a portion of their fall out.... it's been some time since I've read up on it but IIRC, Simon took more credit than what he deserved. Garfunkle could have hired a music transcriber and taken the claim for his contributions to the duo. Paul Simon sucked as a solo artist... IMO. The team was fantastic.
Excuse me Paul Simon sucked as a solo artist? Paul Simon has a huge body of work, much larger in quantity than what Simon and Garfunkel did together, and has had I think four or five Platinum albums since the duo breakup, and Garfunkel has done what? And Garfunkel has written what songs?

Art Garfunkel is not a songwriter as far as I know, but enlighten me.

Originally posted by Hound Dog:

Foo fighters and Chick Corea performing together at the Grammy's. What was that?

I second that Yuck!! Man that was bad.

It was as if Chick had another song coming through his in ear monitor.

There is no substitute.

Excuse me Paul Simon sucked as a solo artist? Paul Simon has a huge body of work, much greater what Simon and Garfunkel did together and has had I think four or five Platinum albums since the duo breakup, and Garfunkel has done what? And Garfunkel has written what songs?
I don't care what the PLATINUM says.... SIMON SUCKED BIG WA WA as a solo artist!!! :D I could not stand him as a solo act!

On the other hand, teamed with Garfunkle, they were one of my favorite duos to listen to. Garfunkle as a solo act was not that hot either... there was a magic working between the two of them in collaborative efforts.

...BUT........ SIMON SUCKED SOLO!!! :evil:

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Originally posted by Ani:

Excuse me Paul Simon sucked as a solo artist? Paul Simon has a huge body of work, much greater what Simon and Garfunkel did together and has had I think four or five Platinum albums since the duo breakup, and Garfunkel has done what? And Garfunkel has written what songs?
I don't care what the PLATINUM says.... SIMON SUCKED BIG WA WA as a solo artist!!! :D I could not stand him as a solo act!

On the other hand, teamed with Garfunkle, they were one of my favorite duos to listen to. Garfunkle as a solo act was not that hot either... there was a magic working between the two of them in collaborative efforts.

...BUT........ SIMON SUCKED SOLO!!! :evil:

You are evil. It's Garfunkel not Garfunkle, BTW.

I don't think you've actually listened to what Paul Simon has done and, is still doing, but whatever, I like Artie there's a just a huge gap in talent between the two.

Originally posted by TheWewus:

Whatever, I like Artie there's a just a huge gap in talent between the two.

c'mon though, you have to admit, for whatever songwriting talent paul simon had, artie had him in spades as a singer. so together their strengths really complimented each other. which certainly shouldn't qualify them as the worst duo of all time, now, should it?

Originally posted by x factor music:

Originally posted by TheWewus:

Whatever, I like Artie there's a just a huge gap in talent between the two.

c'mon though, you have to admit, for whatever songwriting talent paul simon had, artie had him in spades as a singer. so together their strengths really complimented each other. which certainly shouldn't qualify them as the worst duo of all time, now, should it?
What I'm saying is they weren't really a duo. The act was all Simon with Garfunkel's back up, and lead vocals, and I think Paul Simon is a good singer, also.

Of course no, not one of the alltime worst duos, just a bone to pick there.

Okay... I'll be fair to Simon... he was a great songwriter to have written the LYRICS and music in the tunes of the Simon and GarfunKEL years.

BUT..... there was a magic working between the melodies/harmonies where Art's contributions to the WRITING end made the songs extra special. When Simon spun out on his own... he lost all my interest.

I thought his songs sounded like really quirky... 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover was just down right STUPID!!! I was used to the depth in soul stirring vibes that was emitted by the duo and it was GONE!!! That STUPID song killed it for me... and Simon was not NEARLY the singer that Garfunkel was; not even close.

Wow, this is amazing. I was involved in an exchange regarding Paul Simon over at the Tape Op forum just the other day... and now here it is again. Funny thing, that synchronicity.

The thread was called something like "Paul Simon is a twat, but...".

Check it out. It's a hoot.

Originally posted by Joe Cole:

Originally posted by Hound Dog:

Foo fighters and Chick Corea performing together at the Grammy's. What was that?

I second that Yuck!! Man that was bad.

It was as if Chick had another song coming through his in ear monitor.

That was the most horrible performance by a good musician I have ever witnessed. Paul and Stevie were the biggest disappointment. Horrible, dated song. Hall and Oats along with Simon and Garfunkel proved that being the leader in a duo does not make you a good solo artist. I remember listening to the first solo album by Simon in South Africa and thinking, this would be better without Paul Simon. I think he has released one song that I like since going solo. 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover counters that good song and puts him way over to the bad side in my opinion.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

Archived