Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

From bad to worse...and update on my health

Man,

I was diagnosed diabetic today. On top of my heart condition...

I feel like I'm in the middle of a mid-life crisis that just won't end. I've had to give up my career because of my heart, now with the diabetes I've got to completely shift my way of eating...

Fuck, I know I sound like i'm whining. I know there's others here going through thing worse than my problems...

I don't know...

Sorry to whine...

-Mike

Seriously, what the f*ck with the candles? Where does this candle impulse come from, and in what other profession does it get expressed?

-steve albini

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry to hear about your struggles. All you can do is hang in there Mike. I've always felt that God blew it when he made us. I feel we should have x number of healthy years and then some choir bells should ring letting us know our time is up. Then we should die peacefully. No pain, no suffering. No disease. I wonder if God is open to any petitions?

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Just take care of yourself! Diabetes that has its onset in mid-life (according to my understanding) isn't as risky as juvenile diabetes...but that doesn't mean it's a cakewalk either.

Hey, I know...if you've got the diabetes blues, snag a bunch of CDs by that other diabetic fellow, B.B. King... Playing the blues works for him! ;)

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I'm sorry to hear that, Mike. My father has recently (about 2 years ago) benn diagnosed with Diabetes. At first, he could control it with merely a complete change in his diet. About 6 months ago, he had to start on meds to control his bloodsugar levels. They didn't do the trick, so now he's on the 'pens'.

Did I also mention that this has not stopped him from doing whatever activity he wants?! He's as active as ever - snowmobiling, hiking, chopping wood (thank God we made him buy a snowblower!). This recent diagnosis is no reason to get down on yourself. I'm guessing that frequent trips to the Doc for your heart condition prbably led to a very early diagnosis of diabetes - which is very good. It'll be much easier to get under control this way.

Do NOT let this stop you from living your life. It might take some minor adjustments, but this isn't the end of the world.

Hoping for better days for you, Mike!

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

I used to do 8 or 10 A/V shows a year for St. Thomas Hospitals, here in Nashville. We'd go 2 hours out of town to a doctor affiliated with the hospital and hold a Heart Healthy Cooking show at a local church or rec center. The head chef and a dietician would speak after the doc's speech, and would cook heart healthy alternatives to the immensely fatty, high cholesterol foods known as Southern Cookin'. Great tasting food with little bad cholesterol and high fiber.

What I gleaned from these shows was that diet is very important in combatting hereditary and other markers for heart disease, as well as diabetes.

As has previously been said, don't think this is even close to the end, let alone that you'll have to stop doing things you do now. Only that you'll have to modify your diet, excercise more, and eventually need medication to assist in controlling your blood sugar level.

Good luck, Mike!

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Welcome to the club Mike.

I'm in one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't situations. The steroids I take to keep the cancer at bay caused me to go diabetic too. I'm able to control it with the right meds though we've had to change a couple of times to find the right one. Don't rely on your GP or Cardiac Dr to call the shots. If you don't know of a good Endocrinologist get a referral from your other doctors. If they can't help I'll call mine down here, Dr. Varma, and see if he can give some good names in your area.

Make sure you do your sticks as often as you should and always carry something sweet with you in case you start to drop out.

Take care my friend, you'll do fine. The adjustments aren't all that bad.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Sorry to hear that, Mike. My spouse and my eldest son are both type 1 ( childhood) diabetics.

From what I remember, you are a bit overweight? If you can drop the weight, your diabetes will likely reduce itself in severity or disaapear all together. Type is usually weight/activity related due to the pancreas not producing enough insulin, whereas in type 1 (juvenile), the pancreas does not produce insulin or the body rejects it due to an auto-immune disorder.

From what I can tell you as an adult without diabetes watching 1 adult with diabetes and another who is a teen, I can tell you that your diet has ALOT to do with it, but it does nto mean you need to eat nothing. I can also tell you that MANY of the medical persons I have spoken with know very little about diabetes. Make sure you find someplace taht specializes in it.

In general, carbs are what you need to watch (as well as sugars. Carb convert to glucose fastest, therefore 'hit' you harder with a spike in blood sugar. If/when you start counting carbs, you probably be amazed at your intake, as most Americans have very carb heavy diets. If your sugars go high, drinking water will help to bring them down ( in addition to insulin) your blood actually thickens when your sugars are high. The water will help hydrate you and get things moving 'out'. Don't get on the diet pop train either. Soda is a diaretic and will dehydrate you, causing your overall sugars to average higher.

So..

Exercise as your heart situation allows

Eat less carbs

Eat more protein/fats (as heart allows)

Veggies are 'free' foods in general

Avoid processed sugared foods.

Get some splenda if you are craving sweets, and start baking with it, using a 50/50 blend of sugar and splenda. It bakes just liek sugar, and will help you with sugar cravings while being better on the sugar levels. Sugar free pudding mixes also help to get you over the hiump on that as well. They give you something sweet with 'bulk' so it feels liek you have eaten without spiking your sugars.

Get a diabetic bracelet. If you are out of whack, some people act like they are drunk, and cops are not well trained to look for these symptoms. Med ID bracelet solves that problem.

You can MANAGE diabetes. Don't let it manage you. Or as Johnny Witherspoon said in Fridays 'Don't be pussy whipped, whip....dat.....pussy!'

:)

I hope I never get this. I have a little bit of worry from a couple of those weird episodes, one where I near passed out, had a fast heartbeat, sweating, vision getting noisy, disorientation.. it just came on right after I got out of bed and there was no explanation for it. Then awhile ago I slammed a finger in a door, which hurt 10 seconds later. About a minute later I had that noisy vision again, where everything was much lighter and kinda glowy. From slamming my finger? That ain't right, and I've done that before without that kind of symptom.

I haven't gone to the Doc about any of this yet but I've been wanting to. A couple people said to get my blood sugar checked.

I dunno what I'd do if I had a disease, I refuse to let anything take over me and personally don't buy the whole 'you can manage it' bit.. I'd rather be dead.

"I dunno what I'd do if I had a disease, I refuse to let anything take over me and personally don't buy the whole 'you can manage it' bit.. I'd rather be dead."

Great.

Same attitude my 14 year old is developing from years of hearing his mother say the sames things about herself. There are a lot of dead or dying people who would trade you positions.

Diabetes is chronic, but manageable, especially type 2.

If you have symptoms, check your sugars. What you described sound more like anxiety to me.

Originally posted by gearmike:

I was diagnosed diabetic today.

Going on 7 years for me and I feel great at the moment.You must take a change in diet very seriously and lifestyle.Needless to say,my last drink was 7 years ago as well.I don't mean to sound all gloom and doom here,but the first 2 years I had to seriously get it together,now I'm so used to the changes I forget about the condition from time to time,in fact most of the time.At first I thought it was like a death sentence and no way will I be able to deal with this,but You can adjust and time helps that.If I can do it...............
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Assuming they caught it early you should be thankful. Who needs that pasta anyway?

I have a brother-in-law that had it diagnosed late- and who took his time in responding with lifestyle changes. Now he is reaping what he sowed earlier in the game.

Dont let this happen to you. If you manage it aggressively it should not significantly impede your activities or cause you discomfort.

However, if it gets out of control it gets really ugly.

The outcome is largely in your hands. Thats good news.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

I'm very sorry to hear about that, Mike, although I should mention that my friend has diabetes, and due to diet and exercising, he says that he doesn't experience any problems. I hope that the job transition thing is working out for you.

Steve, that sucks man...

Thanks for the all the well-wishes guys.

After having some time for this to start to sink in, I realize that maybe its not all bad news. This explains a lot of problems I've been having. And my doctors have been treating them thinking it was related to my heart meds.

Hopefully now that I know that its the diabetes and not the meds I should be able to start to sort out some of these issues...I might even be able to go back on the road...

-Mike

Seriously, what the f*ck with the candles? Where does this candle impulse come from, and in what other profession does it get expressed?

-steve albini

Hey Mike:

As I told you when we met last year: The most important thing is that you are still with us.

Hang in there, dude!

:wave:

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

After having some time for this to start to sink in, I realize that maybe its not all bad news. This explains a lot of problems I've been having. And my doctors have been treating them thinking it was related to my heart meds.

Hopefully now that I know that its the diabetes and not the meds I should be able to start to sort out some of these issues...I might even be able to go back on the road...

-Mike

Yeah, that might not be so bad after all. If you at least *know* what's causing some of the symptoms, you can go about addressing them!! Best of luck in going about this!!!

Originally posted by DakLander:

Shit fire Mike, we'll have all kinds of medical problems to bore everyone to death with at the next Phil Phunction.

I'm afraid they're going to corral us into the corner so we don't bore everyone to death...

-steve albini

Shit fire Mike, we'll have all kinds of medical problems to bore everyone to death with at the next Phil Phunction.

I'm afraid they're going to corral us into the corner so we don't bore everyone to death...
I'll join you two over a beer and bore you with my back and girlfriend problems. :D

Hey, when are we gonna do that anyway? I was just thinking about that the other day...

Tough break Mike. Diabetes is nasty. I have been type 2 for many years myself.

Coincidentally, just today, my doc called me back in after my latest blood test yesterday because my blood glucose was 476 (that's off the freeking chart folks!). Obviously it's not in control anymore. She (Doc) gave me a shot of insulin and wants to do more tests. I suspect I am becoming type 1 diabetic - if so, that sucks!! She's also worried about my heart and general fitness.....fukinell!! I have go in for more tests early next week.

Keep your chin up.

:DTR

Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows:

I'll join you two over a beer and bore you with my back and girlfriend problems. :D

Hey, when are we gonna do that anyway? I was just thinking about that the other day...

Ken, you'll likely be on some trek or another but I do hope you make the next one.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by Dave, the Rave:

my doc called me back in after my latest blood test yesterday because my blood glucose was 476 (that's off the freeking chart folks!). Obviously it's not in control anymore.

OUCH! I was there a month or so ago, mine was out of control too. bounced so high my tester wouldn't go that high. Turns out I was on the wrong meds. I'm back in line, under control. I'm going to do everything I can to stay in control without insulin.

Good luck with your situation.

Our Joint

Dak, if it's before the summer, I will probably be around. Except for whenever spring break is - I might go somewhere for that. Maybe San Felipe, or maybe somewhere where there's no phone service...

"I had the biggest colostomy bag in the hospital!"

"That goiter in my neck helped my golf swing tremendously!"

Originally posted by Dave, the Rave:

my doc called me back in after my latest blood test yesterday because my blood glucose was 476 (that's off the freeking chart folks!). Obviously it's not in control anymore.

OUCH! I was there a month or so ago, mine was out of control too. bounced so high my tester wouldn't go that high. Turns out I was on the wrong meds. I'm back in line, under control. I'm going to do everything I can to stay in control without insulin.

Good luck with your situation.

Thanks Dak, and right back acha :thu: - keep that BG down! I'm hopeful that I can get mine back in control again. I was undiagnosed for many years and so, like Mike now, I was kind of releaved to know what the heck was wrong with me. I still have some self-destructive lifestyle things to sort out though (wrong foods, sedentary lifestyle etc.). Sometimes it takes a bit of a shock to spur us (me) into doing the right things. Today's revalation was just that for me!

Cheers for now,

Sorry to hear the news, Mike.

I'm also sorry to hear about the other people here who have also been diagnosed....take care of yourselves, folks.

And I'm sorry to hear about your job, Steve. I've been there myself. I hope you handle it better than I did.

But as Steve said; STAY POSITIVE!

It's true! You are still with us.

To paraphrase Gene Simmons; "Every day you're alive is a good one."

And this reminds me....we DID lose a forumite this year, didn't we. I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't remember his name, but I do remember his wife logging on and informing us of him dying -which was very thoughtful of her, by the way.

God bless you people.

Enjoy your life and live every moment.

(I'm not preaching here. Those are words I need to hear as much and probably MORE than any of you.)

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Mike, I'm so sorry to read about this new development.

I've started seeing a nutritionist to attack some of my chronic health issues. Here's some food for thought:

Gluten is really bad

I advise reading the link above with one part open mind and another part grain of salt. The forum there is filled with posters who have a variety of levels of expertise (or sometimes a lack thereof) as does any forum. However, it seemed like a good starting place.

We are all different; and while not all people have severe gluten allergies, a surprising number of people do. If you are one of those people, then eliminating gluten from your diet could really help.

Regardless of what the solutions are, I hope you find them soon.

(That goes for the rest of those who posted with health problems here too.)

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Originally posted by Super 8:

Sorry to hear the news, Mike.

I'm also sorry to hear about the other people here who have also been diagnosed....take care of yourselves, folks.

And I'm sorry to hear about your job, Steve. I've been there myself. I hope you handle it better than I did.

But as Steve said; STAY POSITIVE!

It's true! You are still with us.

To paraphrase Gene Simmons; "Every day you're alive is a good one."

And this reminds me....we DID lose a forumite this year, didn't we. I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't remember his name, but I do remember his wife logging on and informing us of him dying -which was very thoughtful of her, by the way.

God bless you people.

Enjoy your life and live every moment.

(I'm not preaching here. Those are words I need to hear as much and probably MORE than any of you.)

It was RobT - over on Keyboard Corner we're just about to press copies of the latest compilation CD which is dedicated to Rob.

Some other details on Rob

Archived