Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fat synth filters - what does that mean exactly?

I've been messing around with synths for 25 years and read tons of stuff about different types of low pass filters and something just has never clicked with me and I'm embarrassed to ask, but:

If one is working with subtractive synthesis, and you close a low pass filter, how can the sound become "fatter" based on the type of filter being used? I could understand the concept of "fat" oscillators.

Or is it that the nature of certain filters causes a percieved boost in the low end if the overall volume is increased after the filter is closed?

Pete

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fatter sound, to me, is 'fullness'. I hear it discussed most frequently in terms of analog synthesis but Ithink it is used in general to refer to a full, rich sound. I am sure that someone else will chime in with a more technical definition. All I know is that my old Oberheim Matrix 6R was the 'fattest' soudning thing I ever owned.

Fat is overrated. A typical arrangement has space for one or maybe two "fat" sounds and a dozen thin ones. A football team (American) needs big, heavy linemen, but it needs slight, fast wide receivers and running backs, too.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Hehe...fatness is the opposite of a technical definition, but very well related to imagination...

Anyway, one of the worst things that you find in digital filters and oscillators is that the very low end of the spectrum suffers alot of the often poorly designed algorythms, and the sound integrity shows some degradation, it's like smeared...unconsistent.

It's not related to the "quantity" of low range power, but to the correct relation of the harmonics and the overall shape of the waveforms...

This is not a very simple task but someone does it pretty well.

On the keyboards forum mildbill re-bumped a post about the Adern FleXor modules for Creamware's Modular synth, and pasted a link to Adern's site mp3 demos. They are quite impressive, and those who know the sound of the real stuff are able to appreciate them fully. Creamware, on their side, have developed some devices like the Minimax and the Profit5 (damned copyright issues...but ok..) that employ a very particular technique in dsp calculations on the sharc processors of the cards, and they sound as they were calculated at a much higer frequency rate (much higher than 96khz) also at 44.1 khz. And this makes a hell of a difference with the current native stuff.

You can find cheesy or "fat" in the analog domain too, and that is a matter of design too and quality of components.....

Guess the Amp

.... now it's finished...

Here it is!

Archived