Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to tell if a singer is really singing. i.e., the Orange Bowl halftime show.

Anybody watch "THe Daily Show" on COmedy Central? Jon Stewart was riffing on Ashlee last night:

Having embarrassed herself by being revealed lip-synching on Saturday Night Live, she chose a different path at the Orange Bowl Halftime and embarrassed herself by being revealed to have no ability to sing.

:D

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by FoxTick:

... Have you ever had to ride microphone gain right to the edge of feedback because the f**king singer doesn't project their voice like they're supposed to?

That is something I have to give Kelly Clarkson credit for. Once she got past the soft intro of that song she was able to compensate the monitoring difficulties with power. Real vocal power. When she lets it go she can push some dbs and still stay in tune.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by TinderArts:

I'd rather hear Roseanne sing the National Anthem again than ever hear Miss Simpson yelp again.

Be careful for what you wish for !!

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

I actually feel a little bad for her. In the shadow of her sister, coerced into the industry with big promises (who wouldn't want to be a rock star?), and a studio creation of faux punk rock/pop/whatever. Then she gets caught lip sync'ing and labelled a fraud, made it worse by trying to deny it, then tried to scrounge her dignity by owning up to it. No one forgave her - almost like she slashed everyone's tires. Where does this anger come from? It's just music.

It must have taken a lot of pride swallowing to get up and perform again, but she did it, and got boo'd.

Is she a great singer? Not even close, but this goes deeper than that.

The industry turned their back on her, as lip sync'ing is something many pop stars do, but no one admits to. Someone is outed, and everyone abandoned her. She's stuck proving herself, or living her life as a failure. Milli Vanilli, as much of a fraud they were, they were promised the moon, then left for dead. Literally. One member commited suicide. What we put these artists through is not pretend. They don't easily brush off criticism any better than you can. Ashley, no doubtedly, was told by her manager/agent/producer/A&R, how great she is, and how successful they are all going to be. SHe ignored the little voices in her head telling her she was in over her head, instead thinking she couldn't pass this opportunity up. Then this happened. Now where are her friends?

This is a stark lesson how the industry works people. Still want in?

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Ashlee's been hit with a couple surprises, First the technical screwup on SNL, which if she was dependent on lip syncing, they would have pulled it off with no problem, but it was a new thing for her. Secondly, The Football game with no monitors. That was another tough break. It's almost impossible to sing on key if you can't hear yourself. Fact remains, she has a great cd out and it's selling, why ?? Because she has some cool tunes. A cool video, a cool personality, her fans like her.

Still wanna throw a monkeywrench into her career ?? Is that YOUR idea of being a professional ??

Ashlee bounces back.

Living' in the shadow,

She performed the Orange Bowl with no monitors? Sorry. I don't buy it. IEM's maybe?

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Let me clue ya in on Lil Ashlee Dwayno, until her SNL fiacso, when she got caught with her talentless pants down, she ALWAYS sang to track. I know, because on several occaisions I rented one of our Mackie MDR's for the playback. she's done many shows in the bston area in the past 6 months or so, and I got to know her PM fairly well. even he says the bitch can't sing.

She's trying to prove to the world that she can, and all she's accomplishing is making an ass out of herself, not unlike some others we know.

Rosanne certainly ws a laugh when she had her 15 min of singing fame, however the networks KNEW what they were getting there (ie rosanne can't sing), it was supposed to be comical, she is alfterall a comedian. And, unlike Lil Ashlee, who'll be in dept to her label for 3 livetimes, Rosanne is rolling in money.

No one but you and brainless teenage girls are buying her CD. lets see where she is in 3 months. My guess will be in rehab.

I also feel sorry for her. She is duped into believing she is talented because the PR suck up to the media who crap her down our throats. Couple that with just what we need, another f*cking reality show (what is real about this, girl gets major deal without ever doing a show, yea that's gonna happen every day.)

She's a marketing gimmic,no different that 2 all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun. She could be anyone, who that person is is inconsequential. It's who the PR people are that made the "star".

Put down what yer smoking and see the real world, dude.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

The top-selling albums of 2004:

1. "Confessions," Usher: 7,978,594

2. "Feels Like Home," Norah Jones: 3,842,920

3. "Encore," Eminem: 3,517,097

4. "When The Sun Goes Down," Kenny Chesney: 3,072,224

5. "Here for the Party," Gretchen Wilson: 2,931,097

6. "Live Like You Were Dying," Tim McGraw: 2,786,840

7. "Songs About Jane," Maroon 5: 2,708,415

8. "Fallen," Evanesence: 2,614,226

9. "Autobiography," Ashlee Simpson (news): 2,576,945

10. "Now 16: Now That's What I Call Music!": 2,560,316

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some people say the same thing about Evanesence, that she can't sing live....wake up and smell the coffee, the fans vote with their dollars.

Living' in the shadow,

That's because you guys don't have a clue about what's happening in the here and now. You're getting old, really you are, you guys sound like the old rednecks that thought Elvis was just a hick truck driver. Even Ed Sullivan complained about Elvis's gyrating hips and had the tv cameras not show his hips. Little did he know, who or what he was dealing with, nor what the future would bring.

Living' in the shadow,

Originally posted by djwayne:

Even Ed Sullivan complained about Elvis's gyrating hips and had the tv cameras not show his hips. Little did he know, who or what he was dealing with, nor what the future would bring.

I hardly think an "Idoru" such as Ms. Simpson is going to bring about a revolution in popular music.

Here's the deal:

Prefab pop singers provide a few hummable melodies that sound pleasant in Old Navy or when you're stuck in traffic. There's nothing wrong with what they do but it is fluff. There's nothing inventive, subversive, or confrontational about it. Nothing they do changes anything.

Elvis changed things. What he was doing (singing black music) was inventive, subversive and extremely confrontational.

So please don't make that comparison again. Another big difference: Elvis could sing.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

How many here own any of those albums on that list?

Not me...anyone else?

I bought "Confessions" for my wife for Xmas. She cited it as proof that I really do love her.
"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Originally posted by Gabriel E.:

How many here own any of those albums on that list?

Not me...anyone else?

I bought "Confessions" for my wife for Xmas. She cited it as proof that I really do love her.
At least Usher can SING!

Unlike someone else on that list... care to take a guess?

"Face Of Friendship" ??? ya right.... :rolleyes:

You'd probably expect me to respond to that in an impetuous manner, but comming from you, it really doesn't mean that much.

Try again. :wave:

0096 2251 2110 8105

Ashlee's waaaay too cool for you old timers. Go back to your rocking chairs, fire up you're old Elvis records, and don't worry about it. Her generation will take over. So move over rover, here comes Ashlee !!!

Living' in the shadow,

DJWayne,

Maybe you're a young guy who's twentysomething. I'm late thirtysomething. I'm hardly too old, nor do I listen to Elvis records. When I was your age I was listening to the pop music of my day, which was new wave.

Back in the day people questioned the validity of the Top 40 all the time. The bottom line was we had 24 track analog tape and some signal processing. Either a singer could sing or it was crap. Either a drummer could land on the beat or it was crap. We yeah we had lots of tape editing techniques, but we didn't have pro-tools or autotune. Talent was talent even if you didn't like the style of music. The way around it then was using ghost players, or singers. I know because I ghosted a number of gold and platinum records in the late '80's as a bassist.

Today we just "tool" a lousy performance into line or tune it up with autotune. The sad thing is that the "artist" has little incentive to improve. Ashlee has gotten two consecutive highly publicized smackdowns. She's dead in the water as far as credibility goes.

I never stopped listening to new music, or being involved with it. (Hint: I'm not some guy in a top 40 band playing covers.) Trust me when I tell you that Ashlee is a manufactured product with a very short expiration date.

If you want to compare her with a contemporary artist in her demo who can actually deliver, look at Avril Lavigne, Michelle Branch, or Pink. All three of them rock and they CAN sing. Ashlee is a poser. Personally, I've worked with one of the singers mentioned above and I can tell you there's a world of difference. She'll have a longstanding career, Ashlee won't (as a singer at least). She's already hosed.

There's a world of difference between outstanding and mediocre. There's not a lot of difference between mediocre and totally "jumping the shark".

I've worked with a few female vocalists, and it can be a real chore sometimes.

Ashlee rocks !!

With all due respect, I've worked with a few label acts whose careers only reached what I'd call the second tier. They were major label artists with hit songs, but lost in the shuffle of more successful artists who received the lion's share of the promotional dollars.

Both of them were light years ahead of Ashlee Simpson at age 14. At 17 they were major label acts without having previous industry connections.

Having said that, Ashlee is an appalling singer. Not even in the same class, yet she's sold more records than either act I just mentioned.

You tout her 3 million in sales and the recordings on said album. I'd agree with others that her entire career has been engineered for success predicated on her looks and her connection to Jessica. (Not to mention their "pious" father basically pimping for them. He unabashedly takes credit for putting them in scant clothing for performances and videos but insists they're pure, sweet little girls.) He's pushed his two beautiful daughters hard to the record execs. Add a plush budget for autotune and the rest is history.

To call those recordings "vocal performances" by Ashlee would be like saying Jeff the Weasel photographed his avatar images. Even if he photographed the elements, it's his editing skill that makes those avatar images great, not his photography. By the same token, some Pro Tools editor is making a bundle on new projects for making Ashlee sing in tune on record. They just need one for the live show now. :rolleyes:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived