Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Wow! House of Flying Daggers (movie)

Has anybody seen the new film House of Flying Daggers? It's by the same director as Jet Li's Hero movie. It's similar to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon but with even better stunts and cinematography and with a stronger romantic angle. Highly recommended!

The Black Knight always triumphs!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I found the wires distracting in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragen. Fortunately, House of Flying Daggers is mostly wire-free. I saw one obvious wire stunt toward the beginning. There are some really cool scenes with people swinging from tree to tree, but it's far more palatable than CT,HD.

That said, if you want to see "realistic" martial arts, look elsewhere. HoFD is beautiful, but it's also rather fanciful.

I saw it and was somewhat disappointed in that it wasn't nearly as good as "Hero," and I was expecting it to be as good. It had some excellent scenes, but overall didn't work for me, because the main thrust of the movie was the army catching up with the House of Flying Daggers; and when the army did catch up, the movie cut away and didn't show crap! WTF?

Then it gets back to our 3 main characters, and there was a nice shot of a drop of blood deflecting a dagger in mid-air.

Overall though, wait till it hits cable.

Abnorm - You should include a warning if you're going to post "spoilers."

I haven't seen Hero, yet, but the concensus is that HoFD is the better film. Hero has a lot of those annoying "wire" stunts.

HoFD has many "points." Conflict and battles were not the main focus of this movie, even though there are lots of battles. Look deeper. This isn't Enter The Dragon II.

Your mileage may vary. Again, be careful with spoilers.

• 2 weeks later...

I did end up seeing it. I liked it, but didn't love it. I thought it was a little too melodramatic. But the scenes, of course, were absolutely beautiful. The dance scene, the bamboo fight scene (quite an original spin on the now-traditional fight-in-the-bamboo-forest theme).

And I'm starting to think that Zhang Ziyi can do no wrong...

http://www.rentyman.com/zhangziyi/zhang_ziyi_wallpaper.jpg

Originally posted by Curve Dominant:

I agree, Ken, she's one of the best actresses alive.

The "Echo Game" scene in the brothel was mind-blowing.

Notice how Zhang Yimou always uses musical motifs to fantastic effect?

Yeah, the Echo Game, yes, that's what I was referring to when I said "the dance". Man, that was beautiful. The graceful balletic moves, the flowing garb, all of it.

She's really coming into her own as an actress. I mean, she was always good, but wow. Very cool.

I agree, the music was quite effective.

I saw "Hero" last night. WOW! what an absolutely beautiful film,I wish I'd have seen that on the big screen. It's definitely going in my collection. I plan to go see HotFD soon.

I don't mind the "wire" stuff too much. It helps to think of those style movies as asian versions of the "superhero" theme a la Superman, X-men, etc. IMO it's all good! :D:thu:

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Originally posted by kid music:

I fall in the "Hero was better" camp. Better plot for sure. In fact, I think Hero might have been the best movie of the year - certainly the most underrated, considering the snubbing it is getting in the nominations.

-kidmusic

I liked "Hero" a little more than "House of Flying Daggers" (not Tedster's house!), although obviously I enjoyed both.

For Best Movies of the Year? I dunno..."Sideways", that one with Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet that I can never remember the name of that had to do with erasing memory, & the Bob Moog documentary all are up there.

Archived