Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Apple iPod vs. Creative Zen

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are some reasonably better ones available--don't remember if they're made by/for Apple or not--at Microcenter (if you happen to have one of these in your neck of the woods). They ran about $40. Look similar to the $140 ones, with the rubber canal cone.

Otherwise, you might try www.ipodlounge.com

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Might check and see if there's a soft hack for that. I know that someone came up with a soft hack for the iPod volume circuit a year or so ago; simply digitally manipulates the volume levels without battery drain.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Originally posted by Super 8:

Any recommendations that don't cost $150.00???
Shure's basic earphones for their in-ear monitors now go for $79 at Guitar Center. Can't vouch for their fidelity compared to others as (a) I've never tried any others, and (b) I've only heard my own band through them (ugh!) :D

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Originally posted by Super 8:

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

iPod will likely become common use if someone doesn't coin a similarly simple, one word description of these new hardware media players. And I'm quite certain Apple will love it if that happens.

Eh...whatever. As far as I'm concerned, it'll always be a Walkman... ;)
Interestingly I still just picked up a new Walkman...

http://www.sonystyle.com/intershoproot/eCS/Store/en/imagesProducts/180x180/DNF400.jpg

Kicks a bit of ass this one does. I finally had to replace my old portable Panasonic CD player this past month because it finally conked out after nearly eight years of steady use. I like this one because it plays MP3s as well as CDs and will play CD-RWs which means I get 750 mbs of updateable storage for a fraction of the cost of a disk based system. Besides I really prefer uncompressed audio for headphone listening for the most part.

Originally posted by DJDM:

I get 750 mbs of updateable storage for a fraction of the cost of a disk based system. Besides I really prefer uncompressed audio for headphone listening for the most part.[/QB]

FYI an Ipod can play uncopressed files.

Actually, if you format the iPod for Windows, then your Mac can read it...but not vice versa without third party software which is how I did it: Using iPod on Windows and Mac Computers...

iPod Lounge is a great resource!!

Peace...

Peter

Originally posted by Anderton:

I first thought the cross-platform thing was going to make the iPod the logical choice for me -- whether I was working on Mac or Windows, I could hook up to the iPod. But once you format it to work with one, it won'twork with the other...and if you reformat, kiss your data goodbye. It's better in that respect than the Zen, which is Windows-only, period. But I was hoping the iPod would be truly cross-platform, not in an EX-OR type of way (Boolean logic people, y'all know what I mean...)

<>

Cool, but can the Mac read to it? Could I use iTunes on the Mac to transfer files to an iPod formatted for Windows?

This is starting to matter because my daughter prefers Windows ("It's easier than the Mac"), but likes the iPod Mini. So she wants it to work with both her computer and her mom's (who's hardcore Mac).

Of course, my #1 computer is still Atari, but I make do with that other stuff...

To me an important factor is dependability. I got burned too many times with Rio products that were dead after 2 months. I'm not sure how the Zen holds up but I have been happy so far with the iPod.

As for headphones, I use Koss and Sony ear clip type headphones. Decent sound for $20, not very heavy, they don't fall out like ear buds, and they let enough sound in so that you can hear horns and traffic when riding a bike while listening to music.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

This looks cool...

JamPod guitar amplifier for iPod introduced

In addition to the PodBuddy, MacMice today announced the JamPod, a guitar amplifier for Apple's iPod. "While working on our growing music product line this past year, we realized that it would be handy to be able to somehow play a guitar along with the songs stored on an iPod. The JamPod is our little answer to that big need," said the company. "The JamPod just plugs into the top of any dock connector iPod, and lets you plug in your guitar, mix the level with the music from the iPod, and practice away as much as you like, through the iPod's own earbuds." The JamPod requires no batteries, features a top-mounted volume wheel, and works with any electric guitar, electric bass, or other instrument that sends a guitar-level output signal through a 1/4-inch instrument jack. It will begin shipping in February for $49.99.

Originally posted by steadyb:

This looks cool...

JamPod guitar amplifier for iPod introduced

In addition to the PodBuddy, MacMice today announced the JamPod, a guitar amplifier for Apple's iPod. "While working on our growing music product line this past year, we realized that it would be handy to be able to somehow play a guitar along with the songs stored on an iPod. The JamPod is our little answer to that big need," said the company. "The JamPod just plugs into the top of any dock connector iPod, and lets you plug in your guitar, mix the level with the music from the iPod, and practice away as much as you like, through the iPod's own earbuds." The JamPod requires no batteries, features a top-mounted volume wheel, and works with any electric guitar, electric bass, or other instrument that sends a guitar-level output signal through a 1/4-inch instrument jack. It will begin shipping in February for $49.99.

I've been doing this in reverse. My Roland TD-8 (drums) and Motif ES6 both have stereo imputs. I set up some song lists in iTunes to mimic sets, drop them to the iPod, then plug the iPod into the instrument of choice for a nice practice session. I wish I could do the same with my Line6 Pod for practicing guitar. Maybe this is a solution.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by Anderton:

<>

Wow, I've never even hit full volume, it would be too painful...maybe you have EAX on but no function selected? Maybe try different headphones?

Naw, I've tried all different settings, headphones and such and its just got a low output. Easily 30 to 40% less output than a standard discman or such device. I'll check with creative and find out if this is a common problem, or maybe a fluke.
Woof!

• 1 month later...

After reading all the posts here, last weekend I got a 40GB Apple + HP iPod for me and an iPod mini for Janice. These little things are beyond cool.

The design is so elegant and iTunes seems to be so intuitive.

Jim

About a month ago I picked up a Creative Zen, 30 gig.

As Craig said, it was about half the price of the equivalent iPod....I think I paid $220 including tax.

I'm quite satisfied with this thing. The iPod is a little bit smaller, and the interface is really very cool, but I didn't buy it to play with the interface, I bought it to play music.

The Zen's interface works just fine. I can start/stop, switch tracks, and adjust the volume while I'm walking without having to look at it. That's all I need.

The size of the unit is fine for me. Smaller is better, but this one works. I walk for excercize. I get going at a pretty fast pace. The Zen comes with a leather case with a clip. I clip it to my sweats and I'm good to go. I've seen the armband style holders, but I have not tried them yet.

The little earbud headphones are functional. I'm looking forward to replacing them with somethign that sounds better and stays in place.

The software works fine, but isn't as explanitory as I would like on exactly HOW to get music from your computer to your Zen. It's EZ once you figure it out. Maybe they have come out with a software upgrade that explains this a little better. I haven't done any upgrades yet.

Based upon my experience, I would say that if you are wanting to get a hard disk based music player but are hard pressed to part with four-five-or six hundred dollars for an iPod, I think you would find the Zen a more than adequate alternative.

Personally, I have a hard time believing that I would like the iPod so much more than the Zen as to justify the difference in price.

Thanks Craig, for recommending this to me.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

<>

You're very welcome! Here's another recommendation: Go to the Creative site and grab the latest firmware. My model was a 1.02 and often needed resetting. The latest firmware is 1.20 and haven't had to reset once since I loaded it.

I've put about 7GB on my 40GB model so far, ripping at 96k WMA. That's about 160 CDs. I've got my favorites and then some. Lee will be happy to hear I have all my Stones CDs on there, but what's great is the variety -- reggae, classical, chillout, hardcore trance, jazz, folk, rock, country, zouk, world, the list goes on. It seems I can always find something that's appropriate for my mood. Cleaning up, doing dishes, and feeding animals is now a great opportunity to listen to music :)

Archived