Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amps for (active) studiomonitors?

We all know you can buy a hifi subwoofer amp to attach to your home-built sub to make it an active subwoofer. What I've been looking for, but haven't found, is an amp-module like that but for full-range speakers. Basically a 2 channel amp with an active (adjustable) crossover that you can attach to your home-buildt monitors, thus making them active monitors.

Do you guys know if there are amps like this on the market, and where I could get some information about them?

- Bob Freebird

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, I see. Well, add a cross-over unit to the stereo amp, and you've got it. (One extra rack space)...

But no, I don't know of any all-in-one unit that would do the job.

Maybe you could order it as a replacement part (for example, ask Mackie to sell you the electronic guts from an HR824 speaker).

What you're gonna need is a two way, stereo electronic crossover, plus a small (25-100) watt stereo amp for the tweeters, and a larger (75-200) watt stereo amp for the woofers. This is exactly what live sound people have been doing for years, i.e. biamping. It won't be cheap. Try Carvin, they've got everything you need. Parts express might have stuff like that, but I think they come in a little high on the price.

You must really love your speakers, because you could buy a whole active monitoring system for what it's gonna cost you to do this. And, you get an engineered product that you know is consistent. You may need to do some RTA analysis in a proper test room to get that thing balanced right.

Originally posted by dj jud:

What you're gonna need is a two way, stereo electronic crossover, plus a small (25-100) watt stereo amp for the tweeters, and a larger (75-200) watt stereo amp for the woofers. This is exactly what live sound people have been doing for years, i.e. biamping. It won't be cheap. Try Carvin, they've got everything you need. Parts express might have stuff like that, but I think they come in a little high on the price.

You must really love your speakers, because you could buy a whole active monitoring system for what it's gonna cost you to do this. And, you get an engineered product that you know is consistent. You may need to do some RTA analysis in a proper test room to get that thing balanced right.

I've studied sound engineering and worked a bit as one, so I know how you could do this. Two stereo amps and a crossover indeed isn't cheap, and I wouldn't go that far.

I like the speakers, (they could need a bit of tweaking though) but they aren't that good that I would spend more money on them than I could get a pair of Genelec 1030's or 1031's for.

Actually I did some analysing with SIA Smaart, and compared one of my speakers to a Genelec 1030A (in a normal room), and if you believe the results (which I'm not sure I can) is that my speakers had a flatter response than the Genelec.

- Bob Freebird

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Originally posted by philbo_Tangent:

Ah, I see. Well, add a cross-over unit to the stereo amp, and you've got it. (One extra rack space)...

But no, I don't know of any all-in-one unit that would do the job.

Maybe you could order it as a replacement part (for example, ask Mackie to sell you the electronic guts from an HR824 speaker).

I hadn't thought of this one. But the problem with ordering a replacement part is that they are made for the speakers in question, so they don't have an adjustable crossover.

BTW, I checked with partsexpress, but didn't find what I was looking for. I knew this was gonna be a long shot, but I thought I'd ask anyway, 'cause you never know these days.

- Bob Freebird

Archived