Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

EMP-1 vs DMP-3

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never used the Event pre, so I can't comment on that. I do think that the M-Audio preamps are surprisingly decent sounding, considering their very low price. But SOS gave the Event a decent review, and assuming that's accurate (and I have no reason to doubt it, although I've found my personal opinions differing from other reviewews a time or three in the past), I don't know how much more you'd be gaining with the M-Audio pre over the Event.

What do you plan on recording with it? What mics are you using? Please tell us more about your needs and current gear and maybe your budget, and we can get you some suggestions.

Thanks for your quick reply. I mainly record acoustic instruments and voice to a Blackface ADAT...I want to move up to an XT-20. My room is ok, I've treated the walls and ceiling with 703 and foam. I have an Oktava 012 and an ATM 4041 that I use for guitar and mando...for voice I use a SP C-1 or an Oktava 319. I have 2 of the EMP-1s and a DBX 586 (the word on these threads is that the 586 is bad...my limited experience is that it sounds much better than my old 1202vlz...why the bad rap?). I mainly record folk, folk rock type music. So I'm looking for clean and detailed for the guitars and warmer for the vocals. I'm interested in your suggestions. Thanks for the help.

We've got some listening tests going on over on the Project Studio forum, and one of the included preamps is a DMP-3. You might want to check it out... Matt, the guy who posted the test files (which includes acoustic guitar with two different mic types - one of which is a MC012, which you have, and two pre types - the other being the latest generation Mackie Onyx), will send you a PM or email with the "key" if you ask him. Or you can see what you like first, based on listening, and then find out what model it was after you decide on what you like best sonically.

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=27;t=000981

And we also have a couple of different preamp discussion threads going on over there, and questions and / or new threads are always welcome if you don't find what you're after in another thread. Anyway, I just thought I'd let you know - you might find something of interest. :)

I just tried and they're fine. Just make sure you right click and save target as...

Also, the mics used are the same as what you have - AT4041 and MC012.

No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

Archived