Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hey Craig. Are you still using your DA7?

Hey Craig. Are you still using your DA7? Or did you finally just go full out ITB with your Radikal Controller?

I was looking at the article you wrote last year about wether or not to go mixerless and you came down on the side of KEEPING A DESK.

After exhausting ways to keep my DA7 current and vital, I've decided that a change needs to be made. I assumed that I'd move up to Sony. But then they bailed. That left Yamaha. But I absolutely despise their product support. So that led me to controllers. I'm using Nuendo so I was looking at the ID controller. But that was too expensive a commitment to just one program. So then I started thinking about 24 faders of Mackie Control. But even with a good controller, you've still got all those other issues that a desk addresses (better in my opinion); like monitoring during recording, or mic pres, or outboard interfacing. So I'm not sure what to do.

Then Yamaha bought Steinberg! This, to me is equaivlent to falling to the anti-christ! So now I really don't know what to do. I just upgraded to Nuendo 3.0 (I'm still waiting on the delivery). But I fear I may have to eat the cost and jump to Sequoia 8. So now I'm even more confused about a desk/controller upgrade. :confused:

Can you offer any advise?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm probably not the guy you want to ask, because I'm still using the DA7 -- with the Radikal controller for "entering" automation and such.

I guess my only significant advice is that knobs are better than drawing envelopes!

<>

I almost always do 24 bits, 44.1 kHz. For the few 96kHz projects I've done, they've been mixed down within Sonar using the Radikal control surface. I monitor through the PowerPulsar analog interface.

I just recently sold my DA7, not because it was not a good product, it's just that clients want higher sampling rates than the DA7 can offer.

I still highly recommend the DA7 for those working at 44.1 or 48k.

In regards to Sequoia, it's a wonderful product. I don't know if you need Sequoia, Samplitude offers much of Sequoia's features. If you have questions Key, you know how to reach me or try the Synthax forum.

Tom, George, and Sebastian are very quick with answers.

You'll likely find that you don't need a controller as much with Seq/Sam. The object based editing is a joy and makes auto and controllers much less important.

I'm still using my DA7,it's a great desk.I'll keep on using it as long as I continue on with my digi001.When I move on to higher resolution,I'll probaly still keep it around for live work.

I just picked up a smpte card for it for $28.60,I have no idea what they were worth new,but I'll probaly continue to buy cards for it untill I'm fully equiped.

If a DA7 still works for you, then I don't think I'd be in a rush to upgrade simply for the sake of just upgrading. If clients are demanding higher sample rates, then that is a viable reason to update, but as with Surround (as we were discussing with Bruce Swedien on another thread), I am not getting many requests for high sample rate recording - although I do see some of it, and I've had absolutely zero client interest in surround. Like Craig, I'm still primarily working at 24 / 44.1, even though we have the gear to do high sample rate recordings.

Anyway, I just thought I'd toss that out there. And as far as Yamaha, I've had great service from their customer support, although I've also had one tech guy who didn't seem overly fond of his job, or overly knowledgeable either for that matter, but he was the exception that proved the rule for me.

Well thanks for all the input guys. But I never said anything about getting rid of my DA7. What I said was that some changes had to be made.

Besides the high res issue, I was looking for better DAW control. If N3 had as many key shortcuts on the mixer as they do in the editing section, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I HATE MOUSE MXING! But I'm doing more and more of it because Nuendo has better, faster, whatever than the DA7 does now. If the Generic Remote section would work with the DAW controller section of the DA7, I'd be fine. But it only seems to work in HUI mode and that's totally unacceptable. If I could get around Nuendo's mixer with key shortcuts, I'd buy a Flex keyboard or add a second QWERTY board via a "Y" jack on the mouse port and keep on gettin' up. If I could find a 3rd party to update/upgrade the DA7's software, that'd be cool too. I've tried all of these routes to no avail. So THAT'S why I have to make a change.

The DA7 will at the very least become my keyboard/modules submixer when I move to whatever my next option will be. As of now, I can only see the controller or a Yamaha desk as a viable option. I'm not happy about this. But my wrist is screaming from all this mouse maneuvering.

Archived