Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Somewhat OT: People are brutal to celebs

This is pretty much apropos of nothing, so forgive me if it comes in out of left field.

Have you ever noticed how rough people are on celebs sometimes? Like, there are at least five gossip sheets at the checkout counter that do nothing but work people over who are in the public spotlight.

Seems harsh. Probably a little sour grapes, but it almost makes me glad I didn't get over. :D

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't read the tabloids as I feel they are a waste of time. I've never wanted to pursue a destiny as a performing artist for the simple fact that celebrities have no privacy away from the cameras and there are always new people trying to find a way to get a foot in. It's one of the main reasons I have always pursued music from a "behind the scenes" approach. Song writing is my passion; not performing before huge crowds of people and then hiding from the cameras that haunt you relentlessly thereafter.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

I think, for the most part, the celebs who want to stay out of the spotlight manage to do so.

Those who desire (and achieve) the noteriety that comes with celebrity surely know what they're getting into. I mean, sure...you're seeing fat Kirstie Alley on every tabloid in the biz right now, but ultimately it's "publicity" for her new show (which capitalizes on her "fat" press).

So no...I don't have a lot of sympathy for the famous. Most of 'em pay big bucks to show up in those rags.

:D

this house is empty now...

If you choose to live your life in the public eye, well you have to except that your going to be iunder a microscope every minute of the day.

Look at the Beckhams in England and Guy Ritchie and Madonna, Elton John to najme a few.

All live in the public eye and show of,flaunting their money and doing extravagent things and then complaine the press wont leave them alone.

Well its of their own making as far as I am concerned and they should live with the consequences!

As I walked past the magazine rack in my local 7-11 I noticed that Ashlee Simpson in on the cover of a women's mag. ?!?!?!?!?

The "bad publicity" isn't hurting her career.

I don't care what they say about me as long as my picture is on the front cover... Mick Jagger

I know it won't be popular, but I somewhat agree. I think most celebrities love the attention when it's on their terms, then completely underestimate how badly they will need it to go away until it's too late. If anyone here has ever gone into rehab for a substance problem or a weight issue, you know how difficult it is to even admit that to your close family. Imagine having your failure (especially if it's a relapse) to millions of supermarket shoppers. You've got guys like Eddie Van Halen who plastered himself across Rolling Stone a few years back saying "I'm Clean!" and then made the tabloids last summer for wandering drunk around town at a tour stop. His personal failures are public. Combine that with the fragile egos we all know most celebrities have, what to you get? Personal disaster. Personally, my biggest failure/weakness, I don't even want my wife to know about, let alone EVERYONE. Why should they be forced to feel any different?

I think Kirstie Alley knew it would happen and embraced it with a reality show gimmick. That certianly doesn't make her issue easier to deal with. In fact, I think it makes it harder. She now has people coming up to her in public saying how ugly and hideous she was (celebrities don't have any real feelings right?).

I think there is a time and place for this kind of shit. It certainly is NEVER ok for a photographer to camp out on my front lawn, shove a camera into my daughter's face, have stories fabricated about me (ie the Tom Cruise is gay story), tell my wife I'm cheating on her and show her photos, block my car from leaving a parking lot, or physically threaten me. Period.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

I don't waste time with this crap, either.

Like Hendmik, I certainly would hate it if any of the paparazzi intruded on my space when I least expect it. These guys always claim they can't find better work. What a crock. No morals among these idiots.

Now, if you sat around where I am today around lunch time, I can guarantee you that my mom and aunt will probably talk about this stuff. I don't blame them, but whatever. I have better things to do with my time than worry about some celeb who wants to flash her rack.

On that note, I was watching "The Aviator" yesterday. That Kate Hepburn was one great woman. She realized the pressure that I think probably helped exacerbate Howard Hughes's downfall. A goddamn shame that he dumped her so unceremoniously. (Yes, I do realize that the movie made things more dramatic, but still.)

I agree that a lot of celebs exploit the tabloids for publicity, and that if you're determined to stay out of them it's fairly possible. Just to name one example, you never see Tom Petty in the tabloids. And it's not as if he hasn't had a life that would've been prime tabloid fodder. I think he's just never found it in his interest to talk about it. He has an image of being a down to earth guy, and for the most part the media has protected that image, even though they don't have to.

There are certainly some celebrities that have been unfairly targeted by the media, and I do truly feel sorry for them. A lot of people, while they might seek fame up to a point, are totally unprepared for the realities of fame (especially if they become famous beyond their expectations). And some people are really not emotionally cut out for it at all, but find it out too late because hardly anyone thinks of celebrities as people who might actually have a very hard life. Having been around quite a lot of celebrities, I can say that I don't envy most of them and their lifestyle does not suit me! I'd much rather be a "cult" artist who sells enough records and concert tickets to make a nice living for a small but appreciative audience, but has no interest to the tabloids and can still walk around the city without being recognized.

I believe a lot of it is in how we perceive the "beautiful people". Tom Petty, although quite famous, looks like the average guy next door. Not so Tom Cruise. Paparazzi tend to chase the Cruises, DiCaprios, JLos, Britneys etc. of the world. Certainly not all the time, but for the most part.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

And I really "get" that, that there are celebs who have set themselves up so unwisely that they individually "have it coming". One of my least favorite styles of celeb are people who trash talk and dish on themselves in a truly gutter fashion when it keeps them on the cutting edge of eminence, and then at a later time when it starts to work against them, they get indignant and say essentially "my sex life is none of your damn business!" It's telling that they can believe themselves to be sincere and justified in both instances.

But here and there, and not just in the tabloids, I have seen people give celebs short shrift. Like, just for an example, a singer cancels a concert date for health reasons. You can overhear people in idle talk attributing the health reasons and the cancellation to the most heinous kinds of reasons. Singers are people. People get sick. If they rest, people get well. Isn't it better to sometimes give people (famous or no) the benefit of the doubt?

Oh definitely Tim. It's incredible how quickly people seem to turn on their alleged heroes, and I've never understood that. There seems to be a need for a lot of people to see celebrities as being somehow more than human, and that has all sorts of weird consequences.

Yes, celebrities must expect some measure of intrusive behaviour by fans and the press.

Yes, some celebrities exploit this deliberately, then feign anger at the bad press.

But I don't buy that celebrities should be unable to ask for and get privacy.

Saying they asked for it by pursuing the limelight is tantamount to saying a girl asked to get date raped because she's a flirt.

At some point in both examples, no has to mean no. The paparazzi don't see it that way because they make more money for embarrassing pictures of celebrities. They are rodents who ought to be humanely caught and released in the wild... I hear Antarctica is cold most of the year. That should stop their cameras. (On the off chance a celebrity should visit there.) ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I an indignant when forced to witness some "celebrity" nonsense. There is so much KNOWLEDGE in this world that i am trying to soak up, and there is so much to experience and learn... and its disgusting to think in my 24 years on earth ive absorbed as much passive celebrity "cool" sh*t as i have important skills and knowledge.

Everyone wants to be special, but the whole celebrity thing i have no pity for. I think its quite plain these days the price you pay to be "adored".

Id rather be respected. Quietly... ultimately to a point where those i respect invite me to engage in the activities with excel at.

in short... fcuk teh celebs! :lol:

A bit outta left field but...

Wanna know what sorta bothers me?

That I truly believe there are a lot, I mean, A lot of people who are so shallow and classless that they actually care what celebs are doing ( in a non-art related way). There are just so many people out there with no hobbies or actual passions in life that they just find other people's life interesting. Turn the TV and you will find many shows that cater to this sort of crowd; supply and demand. You like it, here's more of it! (reality TV anyone?).

Sad to say, but we really need to shape up. I for one, believe the best investment we can do is demand better education from our country (will take a few generations, of course, but we gotta start somewhere).

Anyway, on the topic, yaeh. Some are brutal to celebs in a way. Not every story is the same you know, but yeah.

Archived