Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

AAAH! I need a good alarm clock!

OK.... I have 2 alarm clocks.... both were set to my wake-up time of 3:00am correctly. Both were STILL set unchanged when my boss @ NPR called at 6:30am! :eek::mad:

I set them correctly! Neither one went off! AAAAAHHHHH! Dammnmit... got any suggestions on alarm clocks? I seem to have this happen with all the clocks you find at Target. I get a name brand clock and then I find 6 months later they get flaky about going off...and I buy a new one!

AAGH!

Valky

Valkyrie Sound:

http://www.vsoundinc.com

Now at TSUTAYA USA:

http://www.tsutayausa.com

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I run a test "a minute from now". Set your alarm for 2:01 if it's 2 right now. The alarm does or doesn't go off and you adjust accordingly. I too have been burned by my alarm clocks and have found I just needed to learn to work it "offline". Beats a wake up call from the boss. :bor:

Valky,

I got tired of those alarm clocks bought at department stores, and yes, even Timex and GE have burned me. I've found that the best luck that I've had with dependable alarm clocks to be those purchased at Radio Shack.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

Originally posted by Tedster '05:

So that explains all that mumbling Renee Montagne was doing under her breath about that "dadburned Valky" on the air this morning. :D

Damn... ya heard that, yuh?

I wonder what our other host Tony Cox said on his show.... :freak:

Valkyrie Sound:

http://www.vsoundinc.com

Now at TSUTAYA USA:

http://www.tsutayausa.com

My best alarm clock is a computer. On my Mac laptop, I've got this app called "MP3 Alarm Clock" which lets you set up multiple alarms for different days, and they'll play a soundfile when they go off (ie: a death metal song).

If I'm on a trip somehwere, the laptop speakers are ok... at home though, I plug it into little powered "computer speakers" and those definitely will get me going no matter what.

Gotta be similar apps for Windows.

This has been a big problem through my whole life... try it out, definitely the best solution I've ever found.

At least they didn't go off becuase you had them set for 3:00 PM instead of 3:00 AM. I've made that mistake before. :o

I have an old Emerson alarm clock that has gone off every time. I bought it at W** Mart over five years ago and it still keeps ticking. Now if it didn't loose a minute every month, I'd have the perfect alarm clock.

0096 2251 2110 8105

I use a cheap travel alarm clock from IKEA, so far it's been very reliable (and L-O-U-D).

I also use the alarm clock in my cellphone.

For those really early hours, have you considered using a timer connected to a bright lamp in addition the alarm clock?

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Yep, the best solution is either a battery powered clock or the old wind-up. Electric clocks or clock radios are fine, my wife woke up to Laura Fygi for years...had a Sony that woke you up to your chioce of CD track. But what's unreliable about them was brought home this morning.

For reasons I haven't been able to find out, our area had a "brown out" this morning. My electric clock by the bed stopped at 7:32am. Luckily, neither of us have to get up for work, so it didn't matter. If we had, the jobs we were at called for us to be up at 4:00am., so no harm would have been done. Unless the brown out occured before then!

Something to consider.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Originally posted by Valkyrie Sound:

OK.... I have 2 alarm clocks.... both were set to my wake-up time of 3:00am correctly. Both were STILL set unchanged when my boss @ NPR called at 6:30am! :eek::mad:

Hah! Typical musician....no...actually a typical musician would have been more like 11:30. Late, but STILL in time for lunch. ;)

If you want my advice, I think you should get a good rooster. Something you can use to piss off the neighbors. :thu:

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Whatever you get, DON'T put it close enough to touch without actually getting out of bed. My wife & I have become good at the arm-swing techinque. We wake up wondering how come we didn't hear it, when our subconcious seems to have.

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

I have a plugger alarm. Never fails to wake me at 05:00.

My other is an old Panasonic clock radio. It has a battery backup to keep the alarm and time settings. I generally have it set to radio with the volume nearly off and it doesn't matter if the thing is actually tuned to a station because I hear the click of the thing turning on & the hum. The snooze on it is an odd time at 7 minutes, rather than the 10 minutes so many alarms have, so I don't fall back asleep, even if I'm really tired and hit it a time or two. That odd time seems to do the trick.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

My most reliable alarm used to be my phone.

When I started working at Cadillac Motor, I had to get up at an unaccustomed 4:30am. As my Dad worked at the same plant and got up at that time for years, my Mom would call to get me up. The small apartment I was in at the time had an old, loud ringing wall phone that required me to get out of bed to answer. Worked like a charm! And no fool, my Mom would call back every five minutes to make sure my ass was up.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I had a great Emerson with dual alarms and a LOUD ascending beep, with the CD wake up to boot (I refuse to wake up to music, though, because I often think I'm dreaming). Best alarm clock I ever had 'til it died. Now I have four: an auto-set one that's great when the power goes, a small generic one, a loud Bugs Bunny one from ages ago that wakes me properly everytime, and the TV.

I'm on the search too for the perfect alarm clock that's atomic-based, dual alarm, ascending beep, programmable days (my auto-set one now does that), and incredibly LOUD. I only sleep a couple hours a day, so I rely heavily on alarms. I saw something like this at Sharper Image or one of that ilk, and it was about $50. Either that, or get another Emerson.

Basically I'm saying I feel your pain, brother.

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

Valky, maybe you could try one of those plug-in timers with selectable segments (every 15 mins). Very hard to set those wrong! Connect a bright light and a loud stereo/radio to the timer's AC outlet. A friend of mine used to have the clocks from Pink Floyd's "Darkside of the Moon" cued up (loud!) with just such a timer - never failed to get him up! YMMV. :)

:DTR

For what it's worth ... get a recording (.wav or .mp3) of your Mom or Dad (or drill sergeant or significant other) yelling at you to wake up and get out of bed! If you have Outlook, set a recurring (daily appointment) and set the reminder to launch your recording and make sure you leave the computer on and the speaker volume LOUD! Instant gratification (unless the power goes out). If you don't have Outlook, you can download a free alarm clock program. Just make sure you can assign your own sounds to the alarms!

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

ive noticed more and more that people arent using alarm clocks anymore... more watches!

as mobile phones have become common, especially amongst the youth, the need for these devices diminish. im a 20-something and amongst me 20-something friends i think ONE uses an alarm clock, the rest of us rely on our phones. personally im so used to whatever inner-clock i have waking me up, maybe because i grew up surfing at 4am every morning...

i would love to splash out on a small cd-player alarm clock but it always feels silly to do so. they are very cheap now actually so it might be time to invest... id love to make my own fall asleep and wake up CDs... im assuming you can program a track to play as you sleep, and one to play to wake you up?

anyway, it beats sleeping next to a computer. i have three and since i first could afford a seperate studio ive moved all the tech into there, and left my bedroom sterile... a place for BOOKS and SLEEP.

anyone got an awesome cd player alarm clock?

Originally posted by Super 8:

If you want my advice, I think you should get a good rooster. Something you can use to piss off the neighbors. :thu:

Yeah, like me :mad: . No shit, my next door neighbor has 2 roosters. Thankfully, they are quiet this time of year.... As far as alarm clocks go, have you considered getting some cats? Mine wake me up every couple of hours so I never have to worry about oversleeping :rolleyes: .

Originally posted by Super 8:

It's illegal to keep a rooster (cockerel) at any residence within the San Jose city limits, precisely because of the noise nuisance. I would think most towns and cities have the same rule.

Anyway, why would you want to piss off your neighbors?

:DTR

Originally posted by Dave DRi:

as mobile phones have become common, especially amongst the youth, the need for these devices diminish.

That would never work for me. Not enough volume. Plus, any kind of throwable alarm clock wouldn't last long.

i would love to splash out on a small cd-player alarm clock ......im assuming you can program a track to play as you sleep, and one to play to wake you up?

The problem there is that the cheap players they have in them don't last very long before they stop working. The last thing you want is to wake up 3 hours late and see "no disk" flashing on your CD player.

Originally posted by Dave, the Rave:

Anyway, why would you want to piss off your neighbors?

Idonno....Just to say ya did it... :D

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

I set a call/page from the web to my Nextel phone.

Of a call from my computer at work (actually my PC/FAX) to call my cell or house phone.

The most effective waker upper I've had, ever in life (I'm up now at 3:45am aint I???) is KIDS.

Ever since the birth of my two boys, I've been able to GET UP AT WILL, and at the SLIGHTEST SOUND. Thkis week for example, I've been up at 3am every day - just because.

Best of luck Valky. (but adopt if you go the kid route...I have one or two ready!)

Happy new year.

NYC Drew

Archived