Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Asian Tidal Waves kill thousands

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't have a source, but I heard someone quoted on the news saying that the government of one of the hardest hit nations (I think it was Sri Lanka but I'm not sure) received warning in advance of the tsunami but decided not to pass it along for fear of upsetting the tourists. Has anybody else heard this or am I just hearing things?

Originally posted by PBBPaul:

I don't have a source, but I heard someone quoted on the news saying that the government of one of the hardest hit nations (I think it was Sri Lanka but I'm not sure) received warning in advance of the tsunami but decided not to pass it along for fear of upsetting the tourists. Has anybody else heard this or am I just hearing things?

Yes, there was an article on the CNN website yesterday that said this, don't know if its still there...

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Originally posted by bearded yeti:

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

America is still THE single most "giving" country in the world

Uh huh. :rolleyes:

Not per capita, it isn't.

Trust me on this, the U.S. Government could find many other uses for $35 million dollars right here at home, if they so choose to. We've got millions of homeless people, old folks who can't afford medicine, school systems, road repairs, that are all clamering for money. Yet we are able to pledge $35 million almost overnight, ask yourself this....how much has Osama Bin Lauden pledged ?? or Saddam Hussien's followers ??

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

So should the U.S. get spat on for giving 35 million ?? Maybe next time we won't give anything. You can do a lot of things for 35 million. And no, we don't like being played out for suckers either.

Living' in the shadow,

So should the U.S. get spat on for giving 35 million ??

Is that what I said? Nice strawman, again. Why don't you respond to my point that the US is nowhere near the most giving country per capita?

I responded to Phil's comment that the US was the most giving country, when it obviously isn't.

Maybe next time we won't give anything.

Great attitude.

Originally posted by djwayne:

So should the U.S. get spat on for giving 35 million ?? Maybe next time we won't give anything. You can do a lot of things for 35 million. And no, we don't like being played out for suckers either.

Some people just like to spit on the US and even use this kind of event to do so. They're political hacks. Just ignore them. The US is also sending 300 well-equipped Marines from Okinawa. We aren't just sitting around and writing a check for cash. Tangible help is sorely needed.

What was eye-opening was the nature of tidal waves. The footage I've seen doesn't show the notion of a huge wave like we see in the movies.

It looks like a very fast tide coming in. It almost sneaks up on you. You see it, but it just keeps rising, and rising, and rising. Insidious.

Phuket may not really had benefited much from a warning system. Unless they were able to sound alarms outside, you would still have to be watching TV. They only had an hour to get out of the way.

I remember hearing about the earthquake on TV. The next morning I heard about the tidal wave.

So should the U.S. get spat on for giving 35 million ??

Is that what I said? Nice strawman, again.

I responded to Phil's comment that the US was the most giving country, when it obviously isn't.

Maybe next time we won't give anything.

Great attitude.

Yep it is, I have plenty of elderly, sick, neighbors right here who need assistance, but are they getting any from anyone other than the U.S Government ?? Nope. You think the U.S. has some moral obligation to give and give and give, everytime there's a problem in the world ?? And if we don't give enough by YOUR standards, we deserve to get bombed ?? (9/11) ?? How many countries sent checks when 9/11 occurred ??

Living' in the shadow,

You guys are certainly well adept at using strawmen and the "take it or leave it" fallacial argument style.

Why don't you respond to my point that the US is nowhere near the most giving country per capita?

I'm not denying the fact that there are problems right here at home, but that's not what we're discussing here, is it?

What is all this "per-person" bullshit...?

Governments give what they give...

...which is OUR money anyway, that they get from taxes.

In the end...regardless of how some of you are adding up the numbers...the USA is going to still end up giving the greatest sum total...as it usually does.

For anyone here that wants to be a torch bearer...put your money where you mouth is! :thu:

There are plenty of places you can give as much as you want to.

So get off your soap box (we need the wood) and stop annoying people. :rolleyes:

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Originally posted by Lord Jeebus ®:

Originally posted by Angelo Clematide:

35 Mio, this is 10 cents per american.

For comparison, Canada's contribution so far is 2M, equivalent to almost $63 per person.
Canada only has 32,000 inhabitants? When I was in Toronto, I thought I saw more people than that in about a mile.

I have been reading this with intrest and one thing thats really got me fuming about some of the comments is how dam political it really has got on here.

This isn't about Iraq, War or 9/11 and we must NEVER forget how many innocent people died (as in the above)this weekend and how many will die if we dont move on getting aide out there.

Please bear in mind that many mnay people have died not because of politics so it should be kept out of this discussion.

Please do disagree if you want but i sincerly hope that people realise that it could easily have been our loved ones or even us suffering!

Now I leave you to bicker and will get on with the Collaboration details to help raise some money for these people who need us now.

The $35 million pledged so far has drained the US Agency for International Development's emergency relief reserve and there's no money left.

Not only that, among the world's leading nations, the US is at the very bottom of the pack in giving, donating much less than a 1/5 of a percent of its GDP (only .14% -- that's 14 cents for every $100 of GDP.

For a little perspective -- $35 million is what the US pays for about 4 hours occupation of Iraq (not counting reconstruction efforts). (The US is spending around $6 billion a month in Iraq [and that figure may be too low, given the high cost of fighting the insurgency in recent months]. It was officially about $5B/mo in September.)

The $35 million pledged so far has drained the US Agency for International Development's emergency relief reserve and there's no money left.

Not only that, among the world's leading nations, the US is at the very bottom of the pack in giving, donating much less than a 1/5 of a percent of its GDP (only .14% -- that's 14 cents for every $100 of GDP.

For a little perspective -- $35 million is what the US pays for about 4 hours occupation of Iraq (not counting reconstruction efforts). (The US is spending around $6 billion a month in Iraq [and that figure may be too low, given the high cost of fighting the insurgency in recent months]. It was officially about $5B/mo in September.)

We also one of the biggest debtor nations with a huge, huge national debt, so in fact, we're giving away borrowed money.

Living' in the shadow,

You guys are certainly well adept at using strawmen and the "take it or leave it" fallacial argument style.

Why don't you respond to my point that the US is nowhere near the most giving country per capita?

I'm not denying the fact that there are problems right here at home, but that's not what we're discussing here, is it?

2 Mio, 20 cents per capita here today.

But that's not what why i'm disgusted.

This catastrophe has a measure never seen before and talking about money in such a way as we just did is not decent.

-Peace, Love, and Potahhhhto

Originally posted by djwayne:

You think this is bad ?? On one forum I read people complaining that the price of Nike Tennis shoes was going to go up, because they are produced in the sweatshops there.

Not bad, but one have to find respectfull words.

Nike shoes leave the factory for under $5/pair and the worker a keep like slaves. The revenue makes the consotium in the US, probably not even paying the right amount of taxes.

-Peace, Love, and Potahhhhto

Read the friggin posts. The US Government is not the one and only avenue for charity in the US. Private organizations and churches are not included in those figures and give enormous sums of money, time, effort, food, and actual feet on the ground. You also missed the 300 Marines.

Not everything has the dollar sign that you embrace.

Again, if you don't want any of it, just say so.

Archived