Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Way OT: looking for a "lost" Ry Cooder track... FOUND IT

[uPDATE: I found it! I was, crucially, a couple letters off: The Coast of Malabar by The Chieftans with Ry Cooder (on the album, The Long Black Veil). It wasn't presenile dementia, after all! Sidebar: it would be a great segue tune from Neil Young's strange lost-love song, Cortez the Killer.]

No... not his work with Capt. Beefheart or on the Performance soundtrack.

This one is much more recent, and, for some reason, I was thinking it was somehow associated with the Buena Vista Social Club project or related projects.

I thought the title had something about "Mandabar" in it and that I'd been hearing it on MusicMatch's On Demand subscription service. But, suddenly, I can't find it.

And a hunt for a song with that in the title using Google and AllMusic Guide turned up zilch.

Did I dream this song?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not sure-but the best ry cooder record i've gotten in the last year or two is:

RY COODER MANUEL GALBAN

"MAMBO SINUENDO"

one of the sweetest guitar records ever.

a coupla female vocals and a lotta instros, recorded in Havana-i wanna go to the place this music takes you.

s :cool:

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Thanks, MJRN and spokenward, I'll check out those Ry fansites. Like the aforementioned Capt. Beefheart, Ry clearly has a beyond-dedicated fanbase.

stanner, that is a really cool album. I've been enjoying it on MusicMatch On Demand (until some kind of weird problem knocked me mostly off their net for most of the last few days). I really, really love the grooves.

Addendum: just back from checking those sites. Nada. Maybe it was all a dream...

WOW! I didn't think I'd find it this quick but it was in a stack right here by the computer. Nothing like Mandabar on it. Any other hints?

Track list:

Chan Chan

De Camino a La Vereda

El Cuarto de Tula

Pueblo Nuevo

Dos Gardenias

?Y Tu Que Has Hecho?

Veinte Anos

El Carretero

Candela

Amor de Loca Juvintud

Orgullecida

Murmullo

Buena Vista Social Club

La Bayamesa

Not responsible for spelling errors.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Sorry, yeah, I knew it wasn't on the BVSC's own album -- I was thinking maybe it was one of his tracks with one of the individual stars of that fine project.

I think the nail in the coffin was googling on Ry Cooder Mandabar didn't produce anything. Music fans are such compulsive posters that something like that almost always produces results -- if there are any results to produce. I'm really starting to think I dreamed it -- or, at the very least, my memory completely mangled the name. Since it was on MusicMatch On Demand that I originally heard the tune (you know, if I really did hear it anywhere), I went through all 70 odd Ry Cooder tracks and didn't find anything that looked right at all.

Originally posted by stanner:

not sure-but the best ry cooder record i've gotten in the last year or two is:

RY COODER MANUEL GALBAN

"MAMBO SINUENDO"

one of the sweetest guitar records ever.

a coupla female vocals and a lotta instros, recorded in Havana-i wanna go to the place this music takes you.

s :cool:

I got MusicMatch On Demand running again, too (which is actually how I found the right track title... when I logged in to test my desktop machine, there the track was in the playlist window! The MMOD thing was weird. It may have been a coincidence, but by checking the "Install on Demand" boxes in the advanced Internet Options settings for Windows/IE, it appeared to let MM function properly. BUT, according to MS, themselves, these checkboxes supposedly have no effect in Win 2K and XP! (Like they know what's up in their own software, huh? :D )

Anyhow, I'm gonna go listen to Mambo Sinuendo (or at least the 6 tracks on MMOD from it) as soon as NY's Cortez the Killer is over.

;)

Archived