Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm on Mandrake 10 now...

Well and I dual-booted with Windows.

http://www.phait-accompli.com/crap/mndrk1.jpg

First, others might suggest a different distro, and that's fine, but Mandrake seems to be the compromise for me. I'm no hardcore developer so I don't really need alot of the development oriented stuff, or particular oriented distros.

I usually prefer to have my Windows drive partioned in 2: one for main programs, the other for website dev stuff. Unfortunately I had to jump through a million hoops for some reason just to get the 2 seperate hard drives I do have, formatted and partitioned right - it never was a problem before... I believe the floppy disk for setting up the HDD is corrupted, and I managed to use XP cd's boot utilities and such. Anyway, now Windows is on just one drive, the 80gb, and Linux Mandrake is on the 20gb.

I installed Mandrake on a friend's mutt computer as well - that was more hell to get prepared, I'm not even going into detail its overwhelming, but I can say I did get it working, and Mandrake installing there, although it said it'd take 2 hours. I told my friend to check in every half hour and put in the prompted CD each time.

I have CD's 1 to 3 of Mandrake 10. It asked for a 4th disc, I didn't have it so I said 'no' and it finished installing. Kinda wonder what might've been on that 4th disc, probably some packages I chose. I'm stopping back over there today to see how it went.

Anyway, back to my system. I'm still using Windows primarily (everyone else here is familiar with it even though all they do is browse the web). I'd hate to just ditch XP because I didn't pay for the upgrade, so we might as well use it still. Besides that, I still have to familiarize myself more with Linux. For isntance I have maybe 3 or 4 FTP programs and I couldn't connect in any of them. In Windows however I use something called Win SCP, which is a more secure FTP. I don't think the Linux FTP's I tried (I don't recall what they were), featured this protocol.

I have KDE and GNOME environments installed, along with some others and right now I'm primarily using KDE. I recall installing something that was akin to the Windows file explorer interface, for managing files but I have to find it yet. Konquerer works, but theres a buncha options I haven't even gone through yet, and this applies to other programs and the OS itself! There is just so much, it can be overwhelming, but at the same time I really admire the depth.

I'm already a bit familiar with the file system hierarchy as I also have Mac OS X, but I wouldn't consider myself confident with the UNIX file system yet. I really don't know any console commands yet, and I dont' think I'm going to be a power user enough to really be using the commnand line - but I understand the power of it and it's great it's there too.

Besides the FTP problem, a minor thing is I installed Yahoo! Messenger and Firefox, and their shortcuts don't have their traditional icon. This is expected as other programs have their own icons... not sure what's up with that. But they both do work well.

I am able to view the Windows drive in Mandrake, but I cannot see the Mandrake drive in Windows. What I might like to do is setup a kind of shared server where if I want, I can work with my webpages (Apache + PHP, already installed in Mandrake) on either OS, and edit the same files, instead of copying back and forth just for an updated file. I also was not able to copy a .JPG screenshot to the Windows drive. I know there are things I'm obviously overlooking as I'm really quite new to this, but these are just the few minor problems I'm having. Other than that it seems to be pretty solid.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah wait until you get that Mepis distro. Try it in a live cd boot. You won't have to install it to try it. I think that once you do that, you will install it.

Obviously I like Mepis. Second is Fedora Core II, haven't tried III, and third is Mandrake.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

I've been bouncing back and forth between RedHat & SUSE. Each one has its own advantages. I just reinstalled SUSE 9.1, last week. I was convinced that it was a decent move, since Sun Microsystems sided with it AND Novell bought it. Now, I just found I need to be running RedHat to use Ardour... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I thought that the Linux community was reserving the "Version 10" insignia for the "Ready-for-Primetime" distro to compete with Microsoft. Looks like that was a misnomer on my part. I noticed that the Mandrake version is usually one version ahead of Redhat. Maybe, that's it.

Since Linux version 8, each time I get stuck on a linux setup or configuration issue it's because I'm trying to make it harder than it is. I am getting ready to put up a Linux server and decommission the Server 2000 system I am currently running.

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

Geez first I screwup my OS X system the other day but I fixed it, and now I screwed over Mandrake even worse, all by changing to a window theme that wasn't even there, but was listed. The whole interface is missing besides the taskbar, and the desktop icons don't show except for their names. Tried various stuff at a command boot, my root password is not working even after being reset...

I'm just going to format that drive and use it as a secondary drive for XP again. Also, had some problems getting Mandrake to recognize or get setup with a modem on my friend's computer, so we just removed that and he went back to Windows. But he does like Linux, it's just we couldn't get it setup for his primary internet use.

I can't blame anyone else but myself for that, I'm still very new to this and I have been tired lately with all this configuring/installing/waiting crap anyway... I'm sure we could get that modem going if we wanted to... getting DSL setup for myself was easy though.

I do still like Linux, but I never really needed it. I might set it up another time, at least I'm more familiar with it now.

Mandrake is an overhauled RedHat. I'm just guessing that you'll have a better time with RedHat or SUSE.

Have you been going to linuxiso.org for your images? It seems that they don't publish all of the CDs of the set. SUSE9.1 has 5 CDs, but only one iso on the site. Maybe, the iso didn't download properly. I used a retail box set and had great success.

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

Phait, I don't think that was Mandrake 10. It should have been .9 something. Not sure but all the disks that were available were dl'd & imaged. Who knows...

Since you got them, stick in that Mepis distro & let me know what you think about it my friend.

Apt-get is so much easier to install and remove programs than RPM it's amazing though you can use the RPM to get things too.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

id rather make music then fuck around with linux but i have to admit i was VERY impressed when a friend gace me a copy of KNOPPIX.

for those who dont know its a bootable cd-rom version of linux that mounts itself... basically its instant OS and can save your ass if, like me, youve gotten trapped between NTFS and FAT32 nightmare before.

it IS good to know that you geeks are doing the good thing though... i mean i would love to think that i can one day move to an open source OS and full application suite with little fuss, its just that i dont want to lose my music workstation in the process.

but i think i WILL dedicate ONE of my machines one day to an open source OS, if just for admin work.

Originally posted by Dave DRi:

but i think i WILL dedicate ONE of my machines one day to an open source OS, if just for admin work.

That's what you pretty much should do. Set the box up to dual boot if you only have the one. Of course you know you should do your recording on a dedicated box. :D

I have found that I still have some situations that, at this time, force me to boot to Win2K though they're becoming fewer and fewer. There are come programs, WINE is one, that will allow a Windows program to be run from within Linux. I'll be trying that in the next few weeks. WINE if free but there are some applications that require purchse to do the job. I do understand they work better so if WINE helps I'll take the plunge. My short term goal is to get my business needs completely away from the the Windows environment with my Music DAW to follow once Linux apps are up to speed. Ardour is, according to what I read, coming along nicely and is very similar to Pro Tools.

I'm in Windows this morning simply because my cd label program is a Windows OS program. Once what I need is printed I'll reboot to Mepis.

Our Joint

Archived