Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I've had it with Earthlink. Need recommendations.

Originally posted by Gator Wing:

Earthlink closed their help center here. Laid off 400 employees. Sent the work offshore.

That could very well be. My older stepdaughter was a customer service manager for several years, when they were still somewhat credible, and she was quite abruptly downsized.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by pseudonym:

Oh man, I just got Earth-Link, I would have gotten some dsl, but I got Play-boy channel instead, I can watch people fucking all day long, and it's cheaper than dsl.

So far no problems with earth-link, but the watching people fucking 24hrs-a-day is getting boring, so maybe I'll try some of that high band-width pay-out soon!!!!!! :wave:

My late father had Playboy Channel (he claimed it came with his cable package. Uh huh, Dad! :D )

And it was incredibly boring!

If all kids had to go on to promote sexuality was the Playboy Channel, the race would die out in a generation.

I've seen more erotic romance novel covers...

Earthlink closed their help center here. Laid off 400 employees. Sent the work offshore.

Yep. All I have with them is email now... I switched to cable Internet years ago but I didn't want to have to change my email address. But last week I was having trouble with my email, called Earthlink, got some dude in India who had no freaking clue what he was talking about. He was clearly not understanding my problem, plus we were having a hard time hearing each other due to the delay in the phone line. It was extremely frustrating. Finally asked to speak with a supervisor, at which time I got connected to some OTHER Indian dude with the same phone line problems and a not much smaller degree of cluelessness.

Earthlink sent me a survey to fill out regarding their "customer service experience" and I let 'em have it. This is just not acceptable. Companies used to be able to provide decent service for the same price and now all of a sudden they can't? No, they just want to line the shareholders' pockets more.

Bastards.

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Yep. All I have with them is email now... I switched to cable Internet years ago but I didn't want to have to change my email address. But last week I was having trouble with my email, called Earthlink, got some dude in India who had no freaking clue what he was talking about. He was clearly not understanding my problem, plus we were having a hard time hearing each other due to the delay in the phone line. It was extremely frustrating. Finally asked to speak with a supervisor, at which time I got connected to some OTHER Indian dude with the same phone line problems and a not much smaller degree of cluelessness.

Earthlink sent me a survey to fill out regarding their "customer service experience" and I let 'em have it. This is just not acceptable. Companies used to be able to provide decent service for the same price and now all of a sudden they can't? No, they just want to line the shareholders' pockets more.

Bastards.

Yeah... I think the pool of qualified Indian support people is, perhaps surprisingly, tapped out.

A few years ago, Indian support people were usually reported to be polite, have a decent grip on formal English, and, occasionally have knowledge pertinent to the situations at hand. (We know they all have tech master's and doctorate's, of course, but that seems to have been of precious little help in solving problems formerly usually given over to high school drop-outs from the American deep south.)

But the last few reports I've had of Indian support folk have made it clear that the English-fluent (and perhaps even tech-savvy) among them have moved on.

We use Optimum On Line from our local cable TV provider but we use Direct Tv for our viewing pleasure. :D

Can`t say I have had any bad experiences except when I try to use it on OS9. In X it runs like a beauty and I know its a lot faster than DSL. Had that and this far surpasses in speed so if you can get yourself a cable connection.

You`ll never do dial up again.

Oh, I don't need to be sold on turning away from dial-up. That's a given.

I just want to have some choice in the portal software I use; I don't want to be forced to use Microsloth, and I want a certain degree of simplicity.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Originally posted by Dak the halls:

That could very well be. My older stepdaughter was a customer service manager for several years, when they were still somewhat credible, and she was quite abruptly downsized.
It wasn't "could be"; its a done deal. What was surprising was how fast they took the "Earthlink" sign off the building. The closing made the paper and all the TV stations.
There are two theories about arguing with a woman. Neither one works.

Originally posted by offramp:

Oh, I don't need to be sold on turning away from dial-up. That's a given.

I just want to have some choice in the portal software I use; I don't want to be forced to use Microsloth, and I want a certain degree of simplicity.

You're not forced. Qwest doesn't advertise the fact that you can choose your own ISP. F**k MSN.

http://www.qwest.com/internet/isp_list.html

Well, maybe they do advertise it, but the certainly don't link to it on their front page.

4DV and eCentral rise to the top of my list. The downsides include the facts that these are local companies that may not provide 24/7 support, and consider that when you call for support, Qwest will blame your ISP and your ISP will blame Qwest. Round 'n round. But all in all, the cost should be about the same had you gone with MSN.

Happy hunting.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

This is a little OFF topic, but related. Don't ever give a phone company, an ISP, or a cable company your SS# and NEVER sign up for auto withdrawal from your checking account for monthly bills. Pay them the OLD fashion way, mail them a check. As some of the posters eluded too, they have a nasty habit of continuing to bill you long after you cut the service off, and you have to make phone calls and fight to get your money back. I can't speak about every phone company, but if you give them your SS#, you have a dispute with them and don't pay them what they SAY you owe, they can put that on your credit report and cause you a problem. That's tough to do without a SS#. So if you order service and the ask for your SS# tell them you won't give it to them and if they don't want your business, you'll go to their competitor.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Archived