Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I've had it with Earthlink. Need recommendations.

I've been with them since '98, and in the past year or two, service has REALLY gone downhill. Just got off the phone with "customer service", and I'm so livid I'm shaking.

Fucking script-reading drones. :mad::mad::mad:

I need a new ISP, and I'd like to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly about alla your ISP's.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yahoo DSL here.

No complaints, mostly a thorough connection and service, but we initially did have some dropouts that were resolved in a matter of minutes, just had to wait. But it wasn't a frequent enough occurence to give up. The only complaint I have is I'm getting 40kb/sec, when I believe I should be getting at least 100kb/sec. If I understand correctly, with cable your speed depends not only how far you are from the central office, but who is also sharing the bandwidth pipe. While DSL doesn't share the pipeline...

Oh yeah, it's like $26 - $30/month if you're with SBC for a phone company, apparently.

Get that crazy notion of good customer service out of your head, first.

Next, don't even think of dialup again (unless you have no other option).

Your phone company is Verizon? Ask them about DSL - they probably have newbie rates, and you should go with them since they provide the pipe to all other DSL re-sellers.

Does the local cable company provide HSI (High Speed Internet)? If so, this may or may not be a better service for you.

For the wisdom of the universe on all things broadband, go to .DSL Reports

I'd check your local cable company if you're happy with your service and relationship with them.

Mine, they supply the modem and it's like my cable, it ain't working they're pretty quick to get out and fix it.

William F. Turner

Songwriter

turnersongs

Sometimes the truth is rude...

tough shit... get used to it.

offramp - I know how you feel - we had earthlink for a couple of years but went to SBC DSL, now we're switching to Comcast cable which is faster still...

We did have some trouble getting off Earthlink and it took a few months till they 'got it'. I had to call a number of times and talk to supervisors befor ethe billing stopped...hehe they just loved us too much when we tried to leave.

Originally posted by kylen:

offramp - I know how you feel - we had earthlink for a couple of years but went to SBC DSL, now we're switching to Comcast cable which is faster still...

We did have some trouble getting off Earthlink and it took a few months till they 'got it'. I had to call a number of times and talk to supervisors befor ethe billing stopped...hehe they just loved us too much when we tried to leave.

Yeah. Similar situations. Most all stem from an incredible lack of inter-department communication. Every time I've moved, I've updated my info; they still have me at a fax number I hadn't been at since '98. Every time I've contacted them, they think I'm living at an old address, or are using a PC (!!)

This time, I changed bank accounts for the monthly auto-withdrawal, yet they've tried--twice--to collect the bill from the old bank. So each time, the old bank wants to charge me $28, PLUS Earthlink wants to charge me the $15 the bank charges them.

Last January, they told me I could get DSL in my area. A month later, no equipment, nothing; it took me an hour to get someone to tell me that "Oh, you can't get DSL in your area." AFTER ALL THAT, they had the audacity to charge me for DSL service for TWO months, plus an early termination fee.

Talk about raising holy hell. It took a month of phone calls to get it resolved.

FUCK EARTHLINK.

Local phone service is Qwest. Not inclined to go with them. Cable is Comcast. They do offer a 'broadband only' package for non-cable customers. It may be my only choice.

Originally posted by offramp:

...Cable is Comcast. They do offer a 'broadband only' package for non-cable customers. It may be my only choice.[/QB]

Don't get me started on Comcrap...anything past the pipe (customer service, pricing tiers, content provision, etc.)...they just don't get.

The pipe stays open (I have only been down three or four times for a few minutes each over the seven years I have had MediaOne/ATTBI/Comcrap HSI). The speeds are fairly reliable (despite what lies the DSL ads say about cable slowing). And I must say, their HD cable looks pretty good to me. Comcast seems to be committed to stay ahead of their competition with HSI speeds.

Time Warner (Road Runner) here! Great customer service, tech support is awesome, and I've even taken out their digital phone service that allows me unlimited domestic long distance calling for the price of the monthly fee. All in all my TW bill costs me right at $100.00 a month for both the digital phone service and the high speed cable ISP; taxes included. The phone has all of the services such as caller ID, call waiting, call forwarding, and etc included in the package as well for no additional fees.

I'm loving the phone service that I've had for a few months now, and I've been with the cable ISP going onto four years now and have never had any problems. There have only been two times where the service has gone down, but was promptly remedied. At one point, my cable line was cut in my yard while the TV cable buried a neighbor's line. TW wanted to schedule a repair for the very next day, but needed someone home to do so. I was not able to meet someone at the home for the duration of the week and their customer service credited my account for the down time anyway. I've been a very satisfied customer...

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

I've had excellent service with SBC/Yahoo for $26.95 a month. No problems, no hassles, good easy to use software, solid hardware (once you understand it, it's a breeze to work with)....I just signed up for my second year with them. With my DSL package I also get their E-Trust Anti-Virus Package, Pop-up blocker, and Anti-Spy spyware, all for free, which works great in conjunction with my computer and music programs.

A really nice sized storage "Breifcase" for docking my music on the internet, 24/7 helpline, and have always gotten good service from their technicians over the phone. I use their SBC browser and have had very good luck with it, and use it 99% of the time. Nice homepage, E-mail service, and Yahoo's Music Launch lets me watch music video's all day if I want.....Highly recommended !!

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

I had ok luck with Verizon DSL. There were issues that caused me to have to start a new service. I quit them as soon after as I could.

I've actually had excellent luck, so far, with Adelphia. I got on their promo package, locked for 3 years at $25.00 a month with 3gig downloads. I've seen as high as 10+ gigs for spurts. The service and seldom been down.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

One of my biggest concerns is finding an ISP that doesn't require you to use anything Microsoft. Qwest is, I believe, that way; you need to subscribe to MSN Asspounder (or whatever it's called) in order to get on.

I want to use the mail and browser apps I want to use.

Originally posted by offramp:

Originally posted by kylen:

Yeah. Similar situations. Most all stem from an incredible lack of inter-department communication. Every time I've moved, I've updated my info; they still have me at a fax number I hadn't been at since '98. Every time I've contacted them, they think I'm living at an old address, or are using a PC (!!)

This time, I changed bank accounts for the monthly auto-withdrawal, yet they've tried--twice--to collect the bill from the old bank. So each time, the old bank wants to charge me $28, PLUS Earthlink wants to charge me the $15 the bank charges them.

Last January, they told me I could get DSL in my area. A month later, no equipment, nothing; it took me an hour to get someone to tell me that "Oh, you can't get DSL in your area." AFTER ALL THAT, they had the audacity to charge me for DSL service for TWO months, plus an early termination fee.

Talk about raising holy hell. It took a month of phone calls to get it resolved.

FUCK EARTHLINK.

Local phone service is Qwest. Not inclined to go with them. Cable is Comcast. They do offer a 'broadband only' package for non-cable customers. It may be my only choice.

I have Optimum Online through my local cable company. It rocks.

----------------------------

Phil Mann

http://www.wideblacksky.com

Ani:

WOW, that's outrageous. A 100 bucks a month? They saw you comin' girl. RIP OFF.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by deanmass:

I'd look around to see if any neighbor is running a wifi, and talk to them about splitting costs. I think dial ups are just dying so fast there is no recovery.

Look into one of these.

You'll be amazed at what kind of signals you can get with cheap hardware.

Well...heh....I already know that I've got a couple of neighbors with wifi access points...(ahem)....

... and oddly enough, I found that cantenna site a few months back; still have the instructions somewhere.

Funds are the issue. I've been unemployed since October of last year, and I'm scraping by on the occasional freelance thing.

I just switched to Adelphia high speed internet (cable) and the speed difference between this and dialup is amazing. Definitely can recommend it as far as that. Now I have to discontinue my Earthlink account, and I'm a little scared based on what I'm reading here. :(

I'd look into your local DSL and cable providers.

I swithced from a dial-up to my local DSL (Verizon) sometime around 2000 or so and, though it was occasionally a bit rocky, it was a VAST improvement over my old ISP. I think Verizon gave you some sort of hookup with MSN for email, but I never bothered, since I have email through my domains. And who needs the Earthlink or AOL portals? (Particularly AOL -- the most obnoxious web portal/interface of all time, hands down, IMHO.) Real internet users are out on the internet, not dorking around some baby-user sandbox.

When I moved last year, I dropped my landline and, not without some trepidation, moved to a cable modem. Whoa boy. Best move I ever made. From an average of 680 kbps on the DSL (during the 96% of the time it actually worked) I went to something approaching 99.999% connectivity with an average of about 2700 kbps for the same money [i already had basic, extended cable so it was just $40 extra for the high speed or $30 for the 'low speed' which, by most accounts, usually runs almost as fast as mine but is not 'guaranteed'].

Not all DSL and cable providers are equal, of course, so I recommend asking around your community to see which offers the best. (Also, since your local phone company typically is going to handle all the DSL traffic, anyhow, paying extra for a third party repackager may be an unnecessary expense; still, they may offer you the personalized service that can make a balky DSL line more tolerable. And, of course, just because my cable provider gives up near flawless service doesn't by any stretch mean yours will.)

I've had great luck with my Comcast cable modem. I can't remember having any down time. My DSL was a problem only because the line from my house to the street was crap. The phone company refused to come out to inspect it and insisted that the problem was with the wiring on the house. I rewired everything with new CAT5, but it was still a dirty line. I cancelled my phone/DSL and decided to just use my cell phone and get cable. I haven't regretted that decision once.

Oh man, I just got Earth-Link, I would have gotten some dsl, but I got Play-boy channel instead, I can watch people fucking all day long, and it's cheaper than dsl.

So far no problems with earth-link, but the watching people fucking 24hrs-a-day is getting boring, so maybe I'll try some of that high band-width pay-out soon!!!!!! :wave:

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Archived