Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Queen recruit new singer

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I saw Brian and Roger playing in a german tv show last weekend supporing the musical "We Will Rock You" which will start in December in Cologne.

I am a queen fan for a long time now, and even if i don't like the idea of Queen without Freddy, I love the music and i want to see this music played live in concert because i never had the possibility to experience a Queen concert.

I will give them the chance to show/prove that they are right and i will definitly go to the show...

Now I'm here - Now I'm there...

Harald F. Metzner

http://www.soundwand.de

----------------------------------

They probably need the money. You can't live on the past, and probably not the royalties if Freddy wrote most of the songs.

As musicians, we should at least give them a chance. It's hard enough to make it in this business without having to deal with ghosts as well as memories.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Harald, I loved the stage show and have seen some great tribute bands and fair enough that some people will want to see this but it just is NOT Queen and feels like cashing in on Freddies name.

John Deacon will have nothing to do with this either.

Why can't these 3 form a new band and put out some original material?? Obviously any shows would feature a fair few Queen songs and that would be great, but it wouldn't feel so much like trying to leech off past glories....

Very disappointed in them for this :cry:

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Brian May and Paul Rodgers. Well I'm sorry folks, but I think that combo is dandy! If they're trying to do a night a Queen songs, well then I agree, but the article above talks of the chemistry they had while performing Free's "All Right Now", and frankly, my minds ear hears that as being pretty fricken bitchin' sounding.

I always hated Queen, and for some reason Freddy Mercury's voice is like fingernails on a blackboard to me, but I agree with you guys that this is just wrong. The Who should have broken up after Moonie's death, and Led Zep did the right thing by disbanding after Bonzo's untimely demise. A band is the sum of its parts; if you take away one of those parts, it's no longer the same band, particularly if the band has five members or fewer. The other bandmates can carry on, but they should get themselves a new moniker.

Exactly, so form a new band, they need a new bass player anyway. New name, record some new stuff, get on the road and play it as well as a few Queen and a few Free numbers and we may well have a pretty $hit-hot tour going....

Claim to be something they aren't and they lose even more respect and fans...

On the other hand, I suppose it's an improvement over George Micheal and 5ive...!

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

I was trying to think of something add to this.All that keeps running in my head is 'are you f***ing kidding me?'

Queen was the special combo of voices, Freddies' writing, and Brians' guitar.

Ack.

Maybe all the fifth wheel replacement singers can get together and do a cd. There sure are enough of them popping up.

Look... Nobody's gonna be "the next Freddy"nobody! Those damn wrestler shoes are just too big to fill.

I'm guessing they went with Paul Rodgers because he's right in their age range and has similar influences.

But that doesn't make him the right man for the job as far as I'm concerned.

Personally, I would like to see someone with something close to Freddy's range and style. Rodgers isn't the guyhe's a blues shouter with a lotta soul. I don't take that away from him at all. I love what he did with Bad Company, Free and The Firm. I even liked The Law a little. However, Freddy was an opera-type of singer and an incredible entertainer. Yeah... they're not in the same ballpark at all.

I'd actually rather see George Micheal, Gary Cherone or even Clay Aiken take a shot... They all have the range, at least.

Hmmm... what else do all three of the vocalists I just mentioned have in common with Freddy?

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Since I know all the big rock stars read my posts I'll pass this advice on to the Queen guys.

Go ahead and write and record some songs with Rodgers. It'll sound cool... but don't ask him to sing Boheniam Rapsody, etc. Name the band KING

Or...

Get Clay Aikmen and tour as Queen. That would be awesome too!

Hmmmm....dunno about that. I saw them perform at Wembley with Daltrey and thought that sounded really great, so who knows.

Originally posted by Gulliver:

Wow that's cool. A new super band is born and its name is... "Bad Queen"! :rolleyes:

You beat me to it!

I have no problems with them touring. I mean, what do we expect the surviving Queen members to do, die along with Freddy? Rot in the "Old Rock Stars Retirement Farm"? Paul Rodgers has a great voice.

But, I don't know that they should tour as "Queen". I think some sort of new name, doing some of their old tunes, even with Rodgers singing them, would be okay, as well as doing some old Bad Company and Free tunes. I'm surprised at the choice. But, apparently something between these guys has clicked, and, we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

I would have heartily endorsed a new Queen, even if the singer was unknown, if they were forging ahead rather than looking back. I mean, Sammy wasn't David, but the new tunes were good in their own way. Same with Brian vs. Bon.

Just like with the ocean liner that burned and sank in Asian waters, and was replaced with a brand new one, they could call this band "Q2".

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by CMDN:

I'd actually rather see George Micheal, Gary Cherone or even Clay Aiken take a shot... They all have the range, at least.

Hmmm... what else do all three of the vocalists I just mentioned have in common with Freddy?

ummmm.... mic technique? :P

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

The best singer at the Freddy Mercury memorial concert was George Michael, who I previously didn't respect at all. He kicked ass on "Somebody to Love"... everyone else was an embarrasment... he'd be a good candidate for a new "Queen" frontman. Plus, he needs the work.

Paul Rogers isn't even a tenor. What a joke... ?

David Tobocman

www.edgewisemusic.com

Originally posted by CMDN:

I'd actually rather see Gary Cherone or even Clay Aiken take a shot... They all have the range, at least.

:eek::eek:

Gary Cherone is gay? Didn't know that. I saw him with Van Halen in Germany a few years ago, and it was not bad, but mediocre compared to Hagar and Roth. Imagine if people would compare him to Mercury. :eek:

A while ago there were rumours that Robbie Williams will go on tour with Queen, guess that didn't happen.

"Ya gots to work with what you gots to work with". - Stevie Wonder

This just... sucks.

And let me put a vote in (not that I have a vote) that george Michael would be an INFITELY better choice than Paul Rodgers.

Paul is the anti-Freddie. I've seen him live, with the Firm. He's as mellow as Freddie was flamboyant, and he's as baritone as Freddie was tenor. The ONLY thing in common is a similar age range, which was never a good reason to be in a band as far as I'm concerned.

Despite having been a Queen fan, I would never go see this tour.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Zweite Version:

Gary Cherone is gay?

No he's not. A little flamboyant maybe, but he's also a born again Christian. Born again and gay don't mix too well.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Archived