Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

the scorn of victory

today i recieved a recording i have been looking for for THREE YEARS. i am overjoyed to have finally recieved it! it has been out of print for years and years and seemingly unavailable. three years ago i still had a cassette copy of the record (taped by someone) but the tape got worn out and finally snapped in two, leaving me with no recording at all. the record is PHILIP GLASS "NORTHSTAR" made in 1977. i love it. its one of my favorites. and today i got it! i found it at a second hand store for $3. record in beautiful shape, cover well worn though. the thing is, i cleaned the record about 45 times already and just cant get rid on the surface noise. its got pops and clicks every once and a while, very much like every record i have ever heard. growing up with only records, you would think i could just sit back and enjoy, but no - the surface noise is [i]driving me crazy[/i] i recorded the whole record into protools so i could burn a cd of it (screw you record companies try and stop me). RAY GUN is a peice of SH*T and is all but useless. i used C1 gate with success between tunes, but the quiet tunes ( 'member dynamics anyone?) have pops. maybe i am spoiled due to no-noise cd's for the past decade. all my records sound like this, i see no way to totally prevent it. i cleaned the record well beyond where dust could be seen on my cleaner. the cleaner came off clean the last few times. i wish i could find the record [i]on cd[/i] maybe tommorrow will be different :rolleyes:

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you looking for a software suggestion? I've cleaned up a number of records with "Cool Edit Pro". I know it is for PC & you probably have a MAC. It has a great function where you can sample a portion of the wave file and subtract it from the mix. I sample the space between the tracks and away I go. It can be overdone, though. You know when you a strange metalic-like swirling that you need to back off the filter. Then, there is the "Hiss Reduction" to help out with the transitions between the tracks. And, there is a "Pop/Click" filter -- I've made a couple of custom ones that work much faster than the one provided. Good luck with your record! Am I the only one with a CD of Buckner & Garcia's "Pac Man Fever" album (supposedly not on CD) (:> ;) [ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: AudioMaverick ]

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

[quote]Originally posted by coaster: [b] the record is PHILIP GLASS "NORTHSTAR" made in 1977. i wish i could find the record [i]on cd[/i] [/b][/quote] I have Philip Glass' "North Star" on CD. It is one of his best IMO. You can get it from amazon.com for $13.99: [url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000070I4/qid=1011764528/]North Star on CD[/url]

Vinyl sucks. CD mastering is sometimes poorly executed, I'll concede that, but I NEVER want to return to clicks, pops, wow, rumble, and static. Remember those little piece of shit dust brush thingies? Fughettaboudit!

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Coaster, I've got it. I don't know what condition it's in but I'll check when I get home. If it sounds good, I'll sell it cheap. I know I never listened to it much, but unfortunately that doesn't mean it wasn't lying naked opn the floor and scratching grooves with the rest of my poorly treated vinyl collection. I'll check it out.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

There used to be a product called; L.A.S.T. (liquid archival sound treatment) that you could treat records with. It didn't get rid of all the noise, but it sort of seperated the noise from the music. I used it all the time back in the olden days. I don't know if it's still available.

Archived