Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

JARDINI !!!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dak the halls:

Here it is Tuesday, ain't had no news.

Got them long but not forgotten blues...

OK Dak, here's the skinny....

There currently is NO released driver for Linux for any of our WLAN chipsets :( The reason for this is the concern over releasing IP under the gnu licensing terms, of course. However, there is some hope that a kind of "hybrid" driver, with binary for the "family jewels" and open source for the interface, may make its way into the big wide world sometime next year :) Stay tuned.

You should not hesitate to contact Broadcom's support group asking for a Linux driver. Remind them how many potential $$$ in chipsales for Linux based PC's they are not picking up under their current policy. $$$ speaks volumes with the marketing folks and is just about the only thing that will get their attention.

:DTR

Originally posted by Jardini:

Originally posted by Dak the halls:

Here it is Tuesday, ain't had no news.

Got them long but not forgotten blues...

OK Dak, here's the skinny....

There currently is NO released driver for Linux for any of our WLAN chipsets :( The reason for this is the concern over releasing IP under the gnu licensing terms, of course. However, there is some hope that a kind of "hybrid" driver, with binary for the "family jewels" and open source for the interface, may make its way into the big wide world sometime next year :) Stay tuned.

You should not hesitate to contact Broadcom's support group asking for a Linux driver. Remind them how many potential $$$ in chipsales for Linux based PC's they are not picking up under their current policy. $$$ speaks volumes with the marketing folks and is just about the only thing that will get their attention.

:DTR

Thanks DTR. I thought as much.

As to your last paragraph, that's essentially what I told them, Broadcom, and the card manufacturer who happens to be Motorola. I mentioned to both that the first company that brings out a bonafide Linux driver for their chips would have a huge step up on every other chip maker out there. I also mentioned to Broadcom, Motorola and D-Link that this issue with not providing drivers for those of us who use Linux, and me in particular would stop purchasing any product with a non Linux driver available for it.

I got the idea they could care less. So, essentially, because I'll soon be in need of at least four computers needing to be wireless, due to the issue of stringing hardwire the distances through an existing house.That's four sales they lost as well as I don't know how many other sales lost due to me posting the non-Linux compatibility of those items on various Linux user's sites I'm members of as well as this forum. I'll be betting that anyone that is reading this now knows that if they want to go wireless they have to stay away from any card with the Broadcom chip in it, including the Motorola cards, nor do the D-Link DWL G510 or Airlink AWLH 3025 cards work.

Once I find the cards with a working chip I'll post to the same forums. Those wireless card makers are the ones that will get the business.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Archived