Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kid's Holiday Pageant

I just got back from my very first holiday pageant in which my kid took part. It was terrific, but i wanted to report some good news.

My boy is in Kindergarten at a public school here in the greater Los angeles area, and before the kids started doing their songs and dances, the principal got up to say that she considers music to be one of the most important programs at the school, and although their funding for music programs has been significantly reduced over the years, they've consistently managed to raise enough through private local organizations to keep music a high level priority for kids in our school district.

Of course, that led to a plea to donate to said program on the way out, which I gladly did. I can't think of anything that's more important than our kids being given the opportunity to learn and appreciate music in a scholastic environment from the earliest ages.

So, my boy took a solo bow at the end of each tune, by the way. He also asked me on the way home if we could go back so he could sing something into the microphone like the bigger kids. Little weasel! :thu:

- Jeff

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a rare and beautiful thing to find a public school official worth his pay. Do your kid a favor and do all you can to make sure that guy keeps his job as long as possible.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

2 out of 3 of the schools I've attended were parochial. From kindgarten to 2nd grade and 6th to 8th grade were in the same parochial school.

We had to do the Christmas shows.

I hated it.

I just barely lip synced, didn't move my mouth much. Some of my family was there, aunt with video. Heh...

And if the musci programme in your local school isn't what it could be, or what it should be, volunteer.

Money is cheap, you only have to contribut once. Time is expensive. Figure out what you can bring to a school music programme, and check with the appropriate teachers and principal to make sure what you can do is wanted and needed.

"School of Rock" doesn't have to be just a movie, it can be a project in every school.

Paul

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

Sounds fantastic Jeff. :thu:

Its so special to see your kids in their first school play...i remember crying at my oldest sons one.

I have a suggestion...

What I have done is because my 14 year old goes to a special needs school, we offered the kids a trip to the studios after christmas to see how it all works and see one of our bands recording and rehearsing which is a great way of getting the kids hands on with the how the equipment works and to try out the instuments and really so they can learn about what happens behind the scenes and maybe you can offer something like that if your band rehearses locally as a special trip out for the kids.

Its really important to have kids learn about the joy of music and really get in there and be a part of it for a day...it all is encouraging for them and a real joy when they get a chance to play with the big guys.

Originally posted by rockincyanblues:

"School of Rock" doesn't have to be just a movie, it can be a project in every school.

Paul

It's sad...because schools fund the traditional "marching band" type music programs. Which are good, but, in a lot of schools, being in "band" carries the stigma of being a weenie. My daughter Lindsay dropped out of school band because:

A) The older band weenies consistently gave the younger ones shit and

B) The other kids in school considered anyone in school band to be a dork.

Which sucks, because, as a sophomore, she had the first chair clarinet position. :mad:

On the positive side, schools are doing more in the way of trying to have "jazz bands" and such...and I'm hearing about a few "guitar" programs starting up. Sad thing is, kids spend two or three years in junior high, and four years in high school learning how to play, say, trombone, and then never touch it again for the rest of their lives.

We need more "community bands", organized by the school district's alumni, to give the more interested players from high school bands an outlet to play. Not only bands, but community choirs. Choral music is dying as well. Even in the last stronghold of choral singing, the Church. A lot of Churches don't have choirs anymore.

And this isn't even addressing the question of the rock and roll genre yet.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Well that's what I do. The school I volunteer in has an EXCELLENT vocal programme. The Music teacher has an award winning choir, they've recorded in pro-quality studios, (Phase One, Masters Workshop, big Toronto places).

But every Friday I haul in the big gear, (P.A., amps, whatever is needed), and I coach a grade 8 rock band. It's open to all grade 8's, no auditions, and I only ask that everybody make a sincere effort. If they are singers, I ask that they sing in the choir too.

For the Concerts, I bring in lighting as well, and I'll play piano or guitar behind other grades as they do their thing. It costs me a couple of hours of work every friday afternoon, (my empoyer understands that this is a good thing), and a couple of total days off for the December and May concerts.

I have more fun and better memories from listening to a class of 7 year olds singing "Imagine" than from just about any concert I've been too.

But don't forget that the "traditional" repertoire for teaching music in elementary schools is important. The material in the grade sprcific curriculum is there for a reason. It is a HUGE challenge for teachers to make music education seem relevant to the kids, and still be a musically and educationally valid programme. After the kids sing a John Lennon song, it's really tough to get them interested in "Go Tell Aunt Rhody".

Most of us on this forum have a shitload of gear, and a wealth of knowledge and experience in playing in bands of all types. We are a resource that should be utilized.

OK, I'm of my soapbox now.

Paul

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

That's great, Jeff.

I guess it would have been more than subtle if Weasel-junior showed up onstage with your pointy headstock guitar for his solo. ;)

I'm not sure what Lilly's class is up to for the holidays. The pageant won't be for another week and a half. Should be entertaining. Her entire kindergarten class is full of adorable, precocious children.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived