Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fun with English

Though I thought through the tough bough with the brough and cough, the new gnu knew it wasn't true.

So, when you sow what you sew, the glee in the flea named Leigh will be in the grove of love. But the oven was woven, and the sake of the sheik was a break in the beak. This week it was weak, but it still remained mainly in the mane. Shooting the chute with sugar sure showed me that catching ceases to cut the cyanide and sieze the season we see.

Say "aye" to the eye? Not I! You and the ewe can teach the bass to play bass on first base and cash in the cache. But the fan of the phantom caused the crow's caws, and to pause the claws that tear at my tear. What ware shall I wear? Well, that fare isn't fair. My clothes at the close tie the bows while I doze. Will I die drinking dye when I lie of the lye on the fire of the pyre burning all for the liar with the lyre?

Out with the doubt! Cut the net of debt. And be thankful the shrews like your shoes of yore. Pour the poor thing some wine by the sign and give the light kite some byte! It'll ease the pain in the pane when they plane the plain.

Whightfaing

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you guys think that you lot have difficulty in spoken English.

Well as we have so many different accents in the UK, Look at this that 2 of friends came up with for typical English spoken in a Norfolk accents and a Bristol accent! I dont even understand a word of it myself.

Norfolk accent:

"A ya got a loit boy?" - Can I have a light please

"Oi carnt read, oi carnt rite, but oi carn droive a tracuh" - My job is a farm labourer

But some others that I have heard :

"You juss carn unner-stan what some of theese folk are sayin" - the accent of none-Norfolk people sometimes makes it difficult to understand them

"Do she bonk, boy? Bonk do she?" - Is she girlfriend material?

"'Ow you now go'en? Come you in, and set you down...." - How are you? Would you like to come inside for a rest?

"Here gorn Jargon" - He's gone for a run

"'Ow you now go'en? Come you in, and set you down...." - How are you? Would you like to come inside for a rest?

"Here gorn Jargon" - He's gone for a run

"Tha's a rum ol' doo, innit?" - That's a shame

"A clip around the lug was orlroight, but oil giv yew whahfor was sumthing yew jest new wus goin ter git it when yew got ome" - I shall be in trouble with my parents later

Bristol accent:

"I got ee over in Americawl mind" - I actually obtained that in the United States, you know

"Blige! Ee anked it roun that corner mind!" - I say! He went awfully fast around that particular bend

"Look at the gurt beamer on ee" - I say, he appears to be blushing

"Diesel gettee if ee don't shut it!" - if you don't cease speaking forthwith, i shall be forced to administer a beating

"Them shoes is gurt macky" - your footwear is somewhat dirty

"You snogged err? Yeah, itchy-barry!" - you kissed that young lady? I don't believe you

"Ave ee looked in the murr smornen?" - have you had cause to examine your reflection so far today?

all confusing I know and I'm english!!! :freak:

OK, so what's unique about this phrase?

Doc, note: I dissent. A fast never prevents a fatness. I diet on cod.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Senior Editor, Music Player Network

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

While some of you got off track and started bringing up idiom, jargon and vernacular, the main fun of my post was to show this language's difficulty by it's use of synonamous spellings having dissimilar pronunciations. And likewise the advents of having different spellings for identical sounding words. Like "sail" and "sale", or "Through" and "threw". Funny someone mentioned the Latino Gus, because the seed of the whole thing was planted long ago from an "I Love Lucy" episode that had Desi Arnaz reading to little Ricky from a children's book. After suffering the many variations of the "ough" sounds, he slammed the book down in disgust and let out a rapid stream of Spanish.

My biggest goof in the whole thing was not having written down ideas through(eep)the day and then sitting down to post them. There are clearly far more things I could have come up with.

I'm hoping some of you do, too.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Originally posted by The Sharster Of Crimbo Yet To Come:

Bristol accent:

"I got ee over in Americawl mind" - I actually obtained that in the United States, you know

"Blige! Ee anked it roun that corner mind!" - I say! He went awfully fast around that particular bend

"Look at the gurt beamer on ee" - I say, he appears to be blushing

"Diesel gettee if ee don't shut it!" - if you don't cease speaking forthwith, i shall be forced to administer a beating

"Them shoes is gurt macky" - your footwear is somewhat dirty

"You snogged err? Yeah, itchy-barry!" - you kissed that young lady? I don't believe you

"Ave ee looked in the murr smornen?" - have you had cause to examine your reflection so far today?

all confusing I know and I'm english!!! :freak:

I'm from Bristol and I barely understand these (and members of my family really do speak just like this :D )!!! I think your translation of 'gurt macky' may be inaccurate, but I'm still not sure exactly what it does mean?!

This all comes from THIS site, which I find hilarious, but could just be a Bristolian thing :D

There are more of us lurking in these very pages, they may be able to translate better than me, I spent many years trying to lose my accent :P

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Originally posted by Stephen Fortner:

OK, so what's unique about this phrase?

Doc, note: I dissent. A fast never prevents a fatness. I diet on cod.

It's quite a clever palandrome...

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

BTW Whitefang, whatever you're taking.....cut the dose :D:D:D

It's a very interesting read, particularly if the morning coffee still hasn't kicked in, and it's almost lunchtime (not much sleep last night :freak: )

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

Archived