Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any thoughts on Logic 5 and Logic Control?

Now that NAMM has come and gone, I was wondering if those of you who spent some time at the emagic booth could give us your impressions. My personal situation is that I'm looking to upgrade the heart of my setup. I've used Roland VS units for years but would like to move into something with a bit more horsepower. Also I've recently picked up a computer that's dedicated to gigastudio, so a lot of what I want to do in the future will involve sequencing and audio running side by side(thus my attraction to Logic Audio). The thing I loved about the VS units was the fact that you had a PHYSICAL INTERFACE with faders to work with rather than just clicking a mouse. Once past the learning curve, it was very easy for the technology to disappear. The new Logic Control interface looks like it could provide this sort of feel, while allowing one to work within a very versatile environment. So I'd like to direct a basic question to those of you who saw the new stuff and those of you who are already Logic junkies. Would Logic 5 with Logic Control make for a powerful and user friendly system that could operate as the sole recorder/sequencer for a small project studio? Thanks.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Though I of course can't be sure of how well it would work yet, if you have a vs recorder , you should theoretically be able to use the unit to send midi messages to Logic, in a very similar way to how the logic control works. So, if you are going to but Logic, you might want to find this out, or try it out before buying the logic control. Personally, I would also still have plenty of occassions to want to use the vs's portability and ease of use, and then just dump the stuff into Logic.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

[quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b]Personally, I would also still have plenty of occassions to want to use the vs's portability and ease of use, and then just dump the stuff into Logic.[/b][/quote] That's what I'm thinking, too (for some projects). The portability of the VS units is a great thing. Thanks for the reply.

I spent some time at the Emagic booth although I'm not a Logic user at this time. They had the Logic Control working pretty well from what I could see. However, I noted that even though they had the expansion chassis' there, none of the faders were moving on them - they might not be working yet. I was certainly impressed with how well the hardware interfaced with Logic. I'm still not convinced that Logic is quite up to the same level of audio editing as is ProTools, but I'm sure it's as good as or better than the VS audio editing capabilities.
Larry W.

[quote]Originally posted by lwilliam: [b] I was certainly impressed with how well the hardware interfaced with Logic. I'm still not convinced that Logic is quite up to the same level of audio editing as is ProTools, but I'm sure it's as good as or better than the VS audio editing capabilities.[/b][/quote] IMO (as a longtime Logic user / lover) Logic's been smoking the audio editing capabilities of a VS for a LONG time now - even 3.X beat working on a VS in terms of editing audio, and in 4.X it's no contest. 5.0 - especially with Logic Control? Forgettaboutit! :) No contest. Not that there's anything wrong with a VS. ;) [img]http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s2/contrib/navigator/usa.gif[/img] Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://www.ssrstudio.com pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

hey At the show, the expansion faders were working if and when they were using the tracks assigned to those faders. The expansion seemed not needed though. you can page between the sets of faders easily or as you move on the screen the faders re-asign. the control inabled you to do almost anything with out using the computer's keyboard strokes. not sure I'd care to relearn where everything is located after completely costomizing my set-up. As for the faders, I have been using the fostex digital mixer ONLY as a control surface for a year now. When I want real faders for entering in automation, I use it. So I am not sold on spending $1100 on the control surface. logic 5 Is VERY cool. they fix the few things I had hope for and I can't wait for the realease. As for the roland VS series, I have mixed the 2 albums recently that were tracked on the VS, 1 on a 1680 the other on a 2480. We flew the tracks into logic. I started to mix the first one on their VS and I felt like my hands were tied. Phil is totally right about the limitations. I was a die hard fan of faders and control surfaces, I thought I'd never "mix" by mouse, and now, faders, I draw their movements, and I never touch the control surface, and I'll never go back. Tim

Tim Dolbear

De La Bear Music Group

Eclectica Recordings

Eclectica Studios

www.eclecticarecordings.com

www.mixposse.com

"That singer's pitch was a knuckle ball!!!" TD

Archived