Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Somewhere over the Rainbow: Best song ever??? MAYBE,

All judy Garland jokes aside, I really like the SONG: SOMEWHERE OVER THE RAINBOW.

I just larned the eva cassidy version. The cat fangerin' that fretboard is really pickin' it. I just about got him caught. you know, how he's doin it..

While I don't do her arrangement totally(it's over the top in a few places)I do use almost all the chords and voicings. 'really cool fanger picked tune.

I do it with a capo at the fifth and it just moves..

I swear this song just speaks to me.

I changed the last stanza of the chorus to suit my immediate needs.

IF there is a God above

then I will finde my one true love

or sheee will fiiinde meeee

It's a really simple song but the memories and feelings it evokes just floors me.

The roof must be leaking again cause water kept drippin into my eyes as I played it. Dang roof.. I been playing it for five hours or so.

. I just about got it "roight"..

To be able to play and sang it is just awesome..

I'm gonne recorde it and slam it into a can.

For Posterity. Whoever "he" is..

Thanks for lettin' me share..

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

arrelspencer

Me, too.

The song -- and Judy's movie version -- slay me dead. The roof leaks at my house, too, sometimes when I hear it.

Judy was a troubled adult, to be sure, but she really was the ultimate girl next door when she was a kid. Her face is all wrong to be a star, yet, when her hair and makeup were right, she could really be killer in some of the Andy Hardy period movies. Check her out in Presenting Lily Mars -- there's a scene when she comes down her family's staircase (at least I think it's in Lily Mars, they had a flurry of Judy movies on TCM and they got a little blurred in my head) Her hair is kind of falling across the side of her face in the glamour style of the early 40's and, I gotta tell you, it makes me fall in love each time I see her. And the ending is pretty cool, too. She's the understudy who gets her big break and... well, I don't want to spoil it, but it's almost a one of a kind for the genre. A fine little movie mismarked by everyone from TCM to AllMove with 2 stars.

I'm sure she was vocal coached up one side and down the other for the movie version -- but, dang, whatever it took to get that take was well worth it. (I've heard some other versions from the period and they're mostly pretty good but few reach that crazy level of yearning. And a late 40s or early 50's version I've heard a few times is, sadly, marked by some brassy oversinging. I think she had to sing hard to cut through her pain.)

But, anyhow, Judy aside, it's really a lovely little song, silly rhymes and all.

I'll have to check out the version you mentioned.

[PS... I tried playing a bunch of your songs from a link in one of your previous posts -- but it only came over a few seconds at a time with big gaps in between. Do you have a DL link or anything?]

Originally posted by theblue1:

arrelspencer

Me, too.

But, anyhow, Judy aside, it's really a lovely little song, silly rhymes and all.

I'll have to check out the version you mentioned.

[PS... I tried playing a bunch of your songs from a link in one of your previous posts -- but it only came over a few seconds at a time with big gaps in between. Do you have a DL link or anything?]

Wow, you really like judy huh?

I ain't really a fan of hers except for that movie about OZ..

I don't really know any of her flicks. I don't watch a lot of teevee.

I really like that eva cassidy chick..

AS far as a D.L. link I got a site at soundeclicke and IUMA.

I would offer to send you a ceedee but I'm unable to do so at this time, maybe in a few weeks.

IF you wish go to arell soundeclicke musics .

OR: ARELL IUMA MUSIC

I tried to set it up so folkes could listen without haveing to register or anything like that.. The ceedees sounde way better..

thanks for listenin'.

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

I read that during her career, that song was considered her "signature" song, and she wouldn't give anyone permission to re-record it for years.

My favorite version of it is Tori Amos's version, off her "Hey Jupiter" CD.

and yes, it's always fun to get buzzed up and watch, "The Wizard of OZ". oompa dumpa.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

Originally posted by Mike O:

A very nice version here .

Oh mikey you a veddy fonny guy! ahahah!

I like WIDE music..which remindes me... I have to larn to thunk on a uke..

i did'nt really like his arrangement.. oy!

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

Originally posted by djwayne:

You can hear a very small snippet of Tori Amos's version here at Amazon...goto..and scroll down...

Holy dang! she breathes more than that other chick that breathes all over the mic.

Suckin' and a'blowin to beat all. sounds like DARTH VADER..

If I wish to hear wheezing I'll go to the lung ward at the hospital..

jee willikers..

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

Somehow that song just grates on me. I don't know why. Judy Garland - beautiful voice. Good song. But it grates on me. I can't listen to much of it. There just may not be a romaticist deep inside of me.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by Sergievsky:

I'm about to transcribe Patti Labelle's version for a show. Ain't nothin' like Judy's. Still amazing though.

to me, it's a quiet tune so Thats how I do it. Capoed at the seventh for key; and very quietly and slow. fanger picked on my acoustic DY48

I just sto, uh borrowed most of the EVA cassidy arrangement and revamped a few key phrases for my vocal affectations.

I did'nt use a chord progression and instead opted to make up my own for a new melody direction.

it seems to work but maybe a listen to a judy or patti version to see what they do with it?

I just ste uh BORROW all the best parts of any given arrangement and I routinely combine several different arrangements into one.

Like when doing the eagles song DESPERADO solo, I must use MY arrangement which is all three guitar parts PLUS the bass and percussion thrown in, done on one six string acoustic. .

The version of RAINBOW I do is bluesy and jazzy and soulful all at once.

I had to keep it quiet so thats why I redid the arrangement. to keep it soft and still.

It moves.

I must have already played it sixty or seventy times. .a comforting tune really.

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

Originally posted by arellspencer:

You can hear a very small snippet of Tori Amos's version here at Amazon...goto..and scroll down...

Holy dang! she breathes more than that other chick that breathes all over the mic.

jee willikers..

Not meant to be funny....to me one of the most "direct", heartfelt, personal performances I have heard. Not at all like Judy though...

Glad you enjoyed it anyway (in some way) ;)

Whoops sorry, Oompa-Lumpa's are from Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, another fine movie to watch while buzzed up. OZ had Munchkins...not Oompa-Lumpa's. Maybe they're cousins.

You know what they say, "If you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there".

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

jee willikers..

Yes Tori Amos has a pretty intimate style - sometimes like the mic gets swallowed and we can hear her tonsils, eh Arell? Not for me some of the time but many people like it.

SOTR rulz - SO does Judy Garland's vocal performance :thu:

[qb] qb]

Not meant to be funny....to me one of the most "direct", heartfelt, personal performances I have heard. Not at all like Judy though...

Glad you enjoyed it anyway (in some way) ;)

HEY MIKEY!

Oh no you were serious. I'm embarrassed and ashamed for dissin' the uke players arrangement. I guess I did'nt have an open enough minde.

I swear I thought you were joking. ahahaha!

Sorry, Mike O..

The idea of a great big SAMOAN SIZED hawaii'n guy playing a uke and singing SOTR in that high lilting voice was funny to me. still is .. I'm grinnin like a chicken with new choppers. ahahaha!

I'll go back and listen again and try to finde the entire recording.

maybe i'll finde a note or two I can use...

P.S. I really like Hawaiian music.

ooh ka liki

I had a DON HO eight track tape that I played to death.

I was learning to sing in hawaiian dialect. I would sang along with mr. Ho..

Tiny bubbles` is a cool song. ooh ka liki = tiny bubbles. I'm an island son too. wrote a song about it.

The End...

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

Originally posted by kylen:

jee willikers..

Yes Tori Amos has a pretty intimate style - sometimes like the mic gets swallowed and we can hear her tonsils, eh Arell? Not for me some of the time but many people like it.

SOTR rulz - SO does Judy Garland's vocal performance :thu:

HOLY CRICKETS! she sucks and ablows like a beached pilot whale..

what the hail is wrong with her? does she even listen to her self?

I don't want to hear her tonsils. Maybe, uh, FEEL her tonsils on the end of my pencil, if you know what I mean. wink. wink..

sometimes it's kinda sexy and cool to hear a breathy rendition of a certain tune.not in toris case. she just over does it.

any vocal coach in "de werld" will tell her to larn to control her breathing and DO NOT breathe into the mic unless the songs arrangement calls for it.

it's something I work on very much,

NOT breathing into the mic.

Especially when you compress the signal and boost the signal and recompress. you can hear every suck and blow.

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Shars AKA YaCa:

Arell.

I was just looking at your sound click page and you say you were born in West Suffolk, so your english right as you said you 'ducked over the pond' so that sounds like you left England for the States, am i right?

Yes. I left England For the states.

IMPERFECT WORLD

CLONK IT!

This is my version of OVER THE RAINBOW which I RENAMED: IMPERFECT WORLD

I tried to make this LONK clonkable, but you may have to clank the lank yourself..

I did this in one take doing the axe work and vocals at the same time..

this is take number ten or so. it's NOT perfect..

It works for me..

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

Folkes like the cover songs more seems like, they download covers more and quicker than some of my originals.

What is it with covers?

Are folkes just more comfortable with covers? like a frame of reference that is like an old sweater?

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

Probably the best version I ever heard was done by Donnie Potter (of Bat McGrath and Donnie Potter fame) back in the early 1970s or so. Absolutely brilliant in his tone and phrasing... It was as though the song was written for him, it's that good. Boggs
Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

I cannot imagine any version of this song better than done by Eva Cassidy. I have said many times, it might be my favorite song of all time. First time I heard it, I had to pull over in my car, tears filled my eyes. That's how good. Absolutely stunning. What a shame the world lost Eva Cassidy so young.

I liked your version, Arell.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

I second Mike's vote.

Iz's version is very heart felt. My favorite :thu:

"Have ya paid your dues, Jack?""Yessir, the check is in the mail." - Jack Burton

"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid." - John Wayne

"He danced like he was the bastard offspring of a chicken and a broken electrical cable." - CMDN

A very nice version here .

Thanks for the link, Mike O!

The movie, "50 First Dates" with Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore was largely dismissed by critics. I guess they were expecting (and frankly, the tv ads supported the notion) this to be a simplistic, laugh out loud farce. I found it to be very endearing. But the best part was the segue from Hawaii to the Alaskan coast, with the only sound being this version of Somewhere Over The Rainbow. Absolutely incredible convergence of story, visual and audible elements. I'm getting this album right away!

I do love the classic, Wizard of Oz version, too. Judy Garland is not one of my favorite actresses or singer (though she was definitely good at both), but she was fantastic in that role.

Jeff Berlin, bass player extroidanaire, did a clinic at Sam Ash a mile from my home back in 1998. After his talk and demonstration about learning techniques, he asked us to suggest any song for him to work up, on the spot. When he heard, "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" he immediately lit up. SOTR is a song that begs to be played as chord melody. (As opposed to a melody played over one or two chords per phrase.) The resulting improvisation, on bass, stunningly beautiful! :thu:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

A lot of people own Phil Collin's first solo album, but many have not heard his version of this song at the very end of the album. It's acapella, and extremely quiet, I didn't hear it for the first couple of years!

As much as some folks hate Phil, I hope this doesn't ruin the song for them... :(

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Originally posted by zachg:

harold arlen was a genious. i believe he wrote paper moon, i've got world on a string, lots of others. some of my favorite songs(even though i'm a billy joel fanatic :D )

thumbs up :thu:

there are so many great songs with feel and bounce that folkes have just forgotten about.

this song MOVES.. I feel it. So do othre folkes.

HAROLD ARLEN huh? thanks harold!

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

Archived