Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

mic/phones for minidisk recorder?

hi,

finally i've got a minidisk. Now I need a mic for it. I know it's better to use a regular mike plus a pre-amp, but this makes it less portable. There are some sony stereo models on the market - are they good? Any alternatives that might be better?

Next thing - i also want to pick some cheap phones. (the little in-ear ones). There are plenty of them on the market but i know there are big differences in quality/comfort even in the some-10$ price range. Often you can't even try them in the store - so what are your reccomendations to look for? Are there any preferable brands or are the similar quality? I'm not willing to spend more than 50$ because I already have the Sennheiser hd570, but they are big and not so well portable.

Or doesn't it matter and they are all pretty much the same?

Thanks for any opinion,

Matej

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.audio-technica.com/prodpro/photos/AT822.jpg

AT822

I've had good luck with the Audio-Technica AT822.

I use a Sony portable minidisc with this mic and get very good results.

Tom :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I went out and bought a Sony stereo battery operated condensor mic geared to vid and MD use. But since it was $95 at discount I'm not going to dig it out to get the number off it.

It's... okay. It has the feel and quality of something that would be about $60 from any other manufacturer. About what I expected.

I was hoping (against hope -- I already new better) I'd be able to use it with my laptop (dream on, fool) but, of course, the laptop has a mono in for the standard cheapo 'computer' mic (typically either an electret or a trickle-power condenser [but not phantom, of course, that would be too flippin' easy, eh?].)

But the stupid LI-ion battery in my (now 5 or 6 year old) Sharp MD dies if you look at it cross-eyed. YOu need to prepare well ahead if you want to use it, because, of course, keeping it plugged in will damage the wildly expensive LI-ion battery...

It sure makes me appreciate my laptop (knock on wood) which takes so many lickins and keeps on... ah, never mind. You get the idea.

Hello,

Thank you guys for the info. So it seems like I would get about the same quality for lower price if I would NOT go with sony mikes. As I expected in fact.

Wow that AT822 seems very very nice as i'm looking into specs but..hmm..maybe some next time. It's a little higher in the price range I could afford right now. You know - a thing here, a thing there and we are quickly on big money. My priority right now is to get a rhodes ;)

So does anyone have any experience with some cheaper alternatives? Like blue1 said of 60$. Or maybe 100$ at the very max. Or maybe just know about them..please share your opinions..

Thanks again,

Matej

Archived