Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone here a member of TAXI ?

Opinions? Comments? I have been a member of TAXI for about a year and have concluded that it was probably the biggest waste of money I've have ever spent on my career. The concept is great but the method and integrity of thier system seems to lack professionalism, reminds me of a pimp/prostitute relationship. Maybe I was barking up the wrong tree considering my goals but nonetheless, a $300 membership plus $5-$10 [b]per[/b] song [b]per[/b] listing (at least 2 per CD) has added up too WAY too much without a shred of benefit to show for it. Does this sound like a scam? It sure feels like bullshit. Anybody else use this service, I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would never pay an outfit like Taxi to have my music "shopped". Actually, I don't think they even shop it do they? I think you're paying for leads. Send me the money... I'll give you some leads! I would suggest seeking representation from a reputable entertainment attorney who's in the loop.

GY

Well...I just joined a couple of weeks ago and submitted my first three songs. We'll see... I think the key is that they're looking for super-commercial, nearly radio-ready stuff most of the time and a lot of what people submit may be more artistically-oriented than commercial. Maybe this is what you're running up against? The biggest negative I've heard so far is that a LOT of their members pay their money just to find out their stuff isn't up to snuff compared to the best they get. They get over 1000 CDs/tapes per week. They will end up forwarding maybe a few dozen out of that, typically. That's a pretty competitive market; your stuff has to stand up against it. After having read about a dozen books on songwriting so far, I'm convinced that the same song can get overlooked by one person and be grabbed up by another, depending on their needs of the moment. Rejection is a part of a songwriter's life. There are numerous stories of songs being passed up 20-30 times, and the 31st time it gets picked up and goes to like, #7 on Billboard. If you read their mailings, you'll see that they publish (whenever they can get the info) the deals their members have gotten. There seems to be quite a few sync/film deals being made lately and several publishing deals. I see deals being made every month (of course, they don't give out the $$$ details). Persistence, along with talent, is the key here, I believe. I'm in it for the long haul... ------------------ Larry W. This message has been edited by lwilliam on 08-11-2001 at 06:17 PM
Larry W.

[quote]Originally posted by lwilliam: [b]Well...I just joined a couple of weeks ago and submitted my first three songs. We'll see... I think the key is that they're looking for super-commercial, nearly radio-ready stuff most of the time and a lot of what people submit may be more artistically-oriented than commercial. Maybe this is what you're running up against? The biggest negative I've heard so far is that a LOT of their members pay their money just to find out their stuff isn't up to snuff compared to the best they get. They get over 1000 CDs/tapes per week. They will only forward maybe a few dozen out of that, typically. That's a pretty competitive market; your stuff has to stand up against it....[/b][/quote] Sorry to burst your bubble bro, but it don't work like that. My guess is that the majority of stuff they get is sub-par but that is not the point. I often send in (and pay $10 per song) simply for critiques as I only play original music and shop myself as the artist. My critiques are always in the very high marks. 4+ average (out of 5). Critiques on Song, production, lyrics, content, hook etc. across the board. It makes no difference. Ever call them for any info? Funny but the all of the 'screeners' are different and have different tastes, which should be a good thing. I send in the same two songs ($40 down the tubes) to be critiqued by two different screeners and the critiques are COMPLETELY opposite. One says to work harder on dynamics and lyric content, one say's lay off dynamics, but excellent lyric content etc. My friend just paid for 2 critiques of the same song and got back the SAME critique from the same guy!And it wasn't even like they tried to hide the fact. That is bullshit. [quote][b]Persistence, along with talent, is the key here, I believe. I'm in it for the long haul...[/b][/quote] Sorry again, Talent has nothing to do with it as it is too objective, the critiques will prove that to you over and over. Persitance, of course, that is the key to your whole friggin carreer. But the 'Long Haul', with your music and goals of course,and I wish you the ultimate success, but with TAXI? That is probably not going to happen unless you are very rich. Good luck to you 1William P.S. Don't know what kind of music you play but I would love to swap a couple of songs, and perhaps we could critique each others stuff just for the hell of it. Cheers.

There are many industry contacts right on the net. You just have to do the research. Also depends on the genre, too. Try small labels that sell your kind of music. Read the credits on every CD you buy. Try to contact the producer, or maybe a session artist, management company, etc. Many of these people have their own web pages and like to hear from fans. Think creatively. It sounds like you want success too badly. Perfrom locally and develop a following. If your stuff is good people will let you know and buy your CDs. Build off of that. I remember i bought a CD from a local band a few years ago. They were fronted by a singer/songwriter. It was clear he had talent, but the overall quality was not anything that would go beyond regional recognition. I bet they thought they were great. I could only hear one potentially commercial song. Whatever you do, find your sound and stick with it.

I don't know if their setup is the same as it was last year, but since they don't take a fee for placing a song, there really is no financial incentive for them to do anything beyond critiques. IMO, it is a huge waste of $$. Over three years, I shopped deals for 15 artists. It's expensive, completely hit and miss, but doing it indipendently returned results - 8 deal offers over the period of a year and a half. If you want your material placed, and you have the time and $$, do it yourself. See http://www.banditnewsletter.com/ and http://www.songlink.com They are excellent lead sheets where managers, labels, publishers, film houses, etc. voice their needs for material and talent. I've come across requests for songs from people like Kenny Rogers, Christine Aguilera (sp?), Billy Ray Cyrus, a bunch of other stars, indies, film producers such as Columbia, Dreamworks, Touchstone, etc. etc., etc. Not to mention labels and publishers. Excellent resources and if you work them right, they'll take you a hell of a lot farther than taxi. Good luck! Harold
meh

[quote]Originally posted by plastic nut: [b] It sounds like you want success too badly. Perfrom locally and develop a following. If your stuff is good people will let you know and buy your CDs. Build off of that.[/b][/quote] Thanks for the input. Just to clarify, I was talking about TAXI, not my approach to success. I have been playing/recording/gigging for years, and networking contacts. I have a real nice following locally as well as in the Industry. I do have a few great 'ins' in the music industry, not just contacts but great personal relationships as well as many untapped resources. Fortunately my 'day job' has afforded me good connections as well. Being a career musician, I do understand the 'grass roots' approach that you mention though that is not my dilema or complaint. I have no fear of my potential or means of attaining success, I was simply looking for feedback on a particular 'resource' that seems to be rather bogus. I am not looking to 'score' a deal or sign a contract with ANYBODY at this point in my career. Been down that road. Thanks again.

[quote]Originally posted by rold: [b]Sorry for misunderstanding you, bonafide. Just trying to help[/b][/quote] Hey Rold, My response was to Plasticnut not you. I actually meant to thank you for the links. So here goes...[b]THANKS!!![/b] [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] I do appreciate it.

LOL..sorry man, brought a band into town last night for a show and still recovering..my brains a wee bit fuzzy right now. No worries - anything to help people steer clear of less-than-completely-forthcoming organizations.. [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] Harold This message has been edited by rold on 08-12-2001 at 05:10 PM
meh

I'm a TAXI member, and I'm acquainted with a few of the screeners. You get biased critiques, sure; it's no different from what you get from the music business at large. That said, I still think they're legit, just not perfect. Here's a link to a pretty fair article on TAXI, written by someone who has really checked the company out: http://www.jpfolks.com/Mentors/Articles/laskowtaxi.html I do think that if one is just starting out, there are less expensive resources for getting songs evaluated.

Sorry Bonafide, looks like i read too much into your original post. Still, i would avoid paying anyone for song placement help. Let them pick it up on the other end as a finder's fee.

[quote]Originally posted by plastic nut: [b] Still, i would avoid paying anyone for song placement help. Let them pick it up on the other end as a finder's fee. [/b][/quote] Totally Agreed! Unless it's some super-talented and connected producer, I wouldn't ever pay to anyone to have songs critiqued.
meh

[quote]Originally posted by plastic nut: [b] Sorry Bonafide, looks like i read too much into your original post. Still, i would avoid paying anyone for song placement help. Let them pick it up on the other end as a finder's fee. [/b][/quote] Hey Plasticnut, No sweat here and no prob. You know how it is, As a career musician you try not to leave a single stone unturned. I have attended most every major music 'biz' seminar and course. I have countless research books on contracts, media, networking, publishing, copyright etc. Info that has been gathered over years, TAXI was just another resource. I have never been 'burned' except by a manager and an investor. TAXI 'appears' legit for the most part but they highly mis-represent themsleves and thier way's of doing business does burn. [quote]Originally posted by Patrick@MagicChord.com: [b]I'm a TAXI member, and I'm acquainted with a few of the screeners. You get biased critiques, sure; it's no different from what you get from the music business at large. That said, I still think they're legit, just not perfect. Here's a link to a pretty fair article on TAXI, written by someone who has really checked the company out: http://www.jpfolks.com/Mentors/Articles/laskowtaxi.html I do think that if one is just starting out, there are less expensive resources for getting songs evaluated.[/b][/quote] Hey Patrick, thank you for the link. I am familiar with JPF and this article, unfortunately a tour through TAXI's faciclites say's nothing about anything. They will simply tell you the same things while you visit as what they put in print. I'm certain I could get a tour myself (I'm only about an hour away) but that still wouldn't help me nor change the way that company conducts it's business. The Music business as a whole is shoddy, evil, deranged and souless. I can't see this group being any different. Thanks again.

Wow, such responses! Well, first, anyone who hasn't at least tried TAXI for themselves is in a pretty weak position to critique it. It's like a reviewer critiquing a product he has never seen or tried, but only read about - it doesn't hold a lot of weight. The "I've heard..." doesn't cut it with me. I do thank Harold for the additional links. I may end up utilizing them in addition to Taxi. It should be noted that those tip sheets ALSO charge money. In fact, one was $250/year (sound similar?). However, there didn't seem to be a per song fee as with TAXI. FWIW, I'm certainly not naive' enough to depend on TAXI as my sole means of getting stuff out there. They certainly are not a "cure-all" for budding songwriters. Here is a quote from the JPF article that is particularly relevant: "Brian's Harsh Reality Number One: If your song isn't hit quality, sending it to Taxi will NOT get it a publishing deal, nor will it get cut. A weak song has no chance no matter WHO is helping you. If you think Taxi will get a mediocre or less than fantastic song cut, you are in for a major disappointment. " As far as Taxi getting deals...twice a month I get their newletter with the latest deals which have been cut by theit members. Here is a recent one: "Dear TAXI Staff, I wanted to let you know that I just received my SOCAN and ASCAP statements. We recently had some of our tracks on: Access Hollywood Queen Latifah Talk Show Saturday Night Live, NBC National Enquirer Television E! True Hollywood Celebrity Profile, Life Network Malcolm in the Middle, FOX Television promos for Turbulence II: Fear of Flying (Feature film), Trimark Pictures. Thanks again to you, the TAXI staff, for all your hard work and continued support. We owe all of these credits to you. TAXI provides the opportunities to make these things happen for all of its members." They did supply the name of the person (not just a "member #"). I am also NOT an artist/songwriter, but a songwriter/producer working with a number of lyricists and the occasional artist, so "getting out there and gigging" is not an option for me. After playing the Top40 circuit (and then major tours with a couple of artists you would recognize) for 10 years, I've had enough of long drives (and endless airports), suitcases and motel rooms. I'm now concentrating on the craft of songwriting and the art of producing. I don't particularly care about their "A&R" critiques (opinions are too varied), just the opportunity to get my stuff to someone who is really looking for material. With that in mind, I AM willing to admit that I just spent my $300 and have high hopes at this point, and I may change my mind about Taxi in another year, but from everything I've checked out, Taxi does seem legit - just not perfect (but what is?). ------------------ Larry W. This message has been edited by lwilliam on 08-12-2001 at 01:30 PM
Larry W.

Hey Larry, I don't want to discourage anyone, just simply stating my experience(and many of my friends).TAXI could very work for some and I wish you ultimate success. I too get the newsletters. I have also read ALL of the literature and hype. I have seen the SAME ads that TAXI pays for in magazines, always the same story, ALWAYS THE SAME AD(That company spends more time and money on SELLING this service than any company I have ever witnessed). I have read the 'success' stories etc. etc. Seems very exciting and so on. I have read the liner notes and the TAXI handbook, I do understand the rules and the philosophy's, I understand the 'hit song' lingo (Whatever that means, even A&R have no clue as history has proven over and over and is actually admitted by most industry A&R) What I have concluded is that TAXI is VERY small. They have extremely limited resources and the folks who work for them are mostly A&R that have failed at record companies or don't possess the track record to work for record companies (And yes, I've READ the all about TAXI personnel). Since the critiques I get back are all over the map, no 2 are consistent in any way..They are proving to be a bad resource for this goal, FOR ME. Perhaps you will have better luck and again I wish it for you.

Taxi has been able to get a few major deals for a few and not much for most others; perhaps a similar ratio to the number of folks who "make it" in this business against the countless other talented folks who don't. Tipsheets, attorneys, pounding the pavement yourself, etc....whatever works, do it. If there was a set formula for this stuff, we'd all be practicing it. As soon as someone discovers the "best" way, there are countless exceptions. Assuming the song is excellent (that's still the key), it's still all about being in the right place at the right time, and IMO, any avenue you can use to help get to that place is worth trying.

[quote]Originally posted by Bonafide: [b]...I understand the 'hit song' lingo (Whatever that means, even A&R have no clue as history has proven over and over and is actually admitted by most industry A&R)...[/b][/quote] That's for sure! Even some of the A&R guys interviewed for the TAXI newsletter express narrow-minded, status-quo-oriented views. I, too, loved that crazy Andy Kaufman [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

If you're writing C&W - which nowadays is basically rock music with a steel guitar and a storyline - you can get free critiques from NSAI - [url=http://www.NashvilleSongwriters.com.]www.NashvilleSongwriters.com.[/url] This is the songwriter's association in Nashville. They try to give you one free critique per month, and if they like your song they forward it to the next publishers pitch session. At $100 per year, it beats flying out there to make your connections. TAXI didn't like my songs, so I found other means of transportation. You get the wrong critique person and your screwed. But that's just the biz. A song is nothing more than a lottery ticket, unless it's head and shoulders above the rest, and then it's a lottery ticket with percentages being taken out by anyone who can get there hands on it. Good luck my friend. Considering the state of the biz, you're going to need it.
Mr.Dunc

Bottom line? I know people who have gotten signed to various labels, I have a friend who writes scores for major motion pictures, but I don't know anyone who has ever profited fromusing Taxi. Joe

[quote]Originally posted by duncan@theriver.com: [B]TAXI didn't like my songs, so I found other means of transportation. You get the wrong critique person and your screwed. But that's just the biz. [B][/quote] Thanks for the link.. Funny, I was a little bummed over a recent critique I recieved from one screener, (The critiques being my primary purpose for joining) This guy gave me decent marks but with an underlying tone, just thrashed the song. A couple days later I recieved a new critique for the same song from a different screener, and damn..Praise galore. Excellent marks, " A genuine hit"... "absolutlely excellent"... etc... Basically he countered every flaw in the first critique. That is when I posted this thread. It proved to me that those critiques don't work for me, generally don't mean shit, and have been wasting my $. No big deal, just a simple lesson learned. You can hear the song here if you'd like. http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/295/rodney_gene.html Cheers.

I have been a member of Taxi for about a year, and have had 3 forwards to projects, but no deals yet. I have a concern about the lack of "big" deals that have come from the Taxi membership. I only know of one, which has been seen in there ads for over a year (the Kenny Rogers songwriting duo). I love their concept though. I mean, what record company, publisher, film company, etc. wouldn't use this service to find music? It doesn't cost THEM anything, and they don't have to weed through a cabillion submissions to get something they are looking for! I for one, if I didn't feel I could deliver the product, would not spend $300 per year for just critiques. They are just ONE opinion! I would hope that the industry sees this also, that quality material SHOULD come from the Taxi talent pool. Now, I should explain that 80% of my material is for film, video, and television, and I am happy with the amount of opportunities that Taxi provides in that category. I think the odds get much slimmer for the songwriters pitching to the "Britney, N Stink, Fatfeet Boys" submissions. Just my $300 worth.

[quote]Originally posted by rold: [b]I don't know if their setup is the same as it was last year, but since they don't take a fee for placing a song, there really is no financial incentive for them to do anything beyond critiques. IMO, it is a huge waste of $$. Over three years, I shopped deals for 15 artists. It's expensive, completely hit and miss, but doing it indipendently returned results - 8 deal offers over the period of a year and a half. If you want your material placed, and you have the time and $$, do it yourself. See http://www.banditnewsletter.com/ and http://www.songlink.com They are excellent lead sheets where managers, labels, publishers, film houses, etc. voice their needs for material and talent. I've come across requests for songs from people like Kenny Rogers, Christine Aguilera (sp?), Billy Ray Cyrus, a bunch of other stars, indies, film producers such as Columbia, Dreamworks, Touchstone, etc. etc., etc. Not to mention labels and publishers. Excellent resources and if you work them right, they'll take you a hell of a lot farther than taxi. Good luck! Harold [/b][/quote] Rold - Thanks for the tip! This is what I've been looking for! Philbo Tangent Music mp3.com/Tangent

Well I'd be skeptical about any advert in any magazine that held all those claims. Having seen how things work, I don't think there's any more magic there than any other route struggling musicians take to get "ears" for their stuff. I realize the days of doing it like Loretta Lynn did are probably gone, but not entirely. Guess it's really comes down to what you're after, and what your motivation is, and how hungry you are. A good lawyer/manager with connections is probably the smarter choice. But I imagine they are attracted to money makers, or potential money makers and have their "feelers" out scouting for the fresh new thing.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

I joined TAXI a few months ago and I don't see myself renewing my membership. I have since had 10 submissions forwarded to various sources, including producer Ed Stasium, Columbia Records, Elektra and others (at least that's what the postcards TAXI sent me said). Of the 10 forwarded, the number of times I was contacted by the "source"? Zero. Now, it's very possible that all 10 of those companies/people were simply not interested in my stuff that was forwarded to them by TAXI. But I'm beginning to think that if indeed the listings are legit and the material is in fact being sent along to the labels/publishers/producers, that submissions sent to these sources are not considered with any more priority or weight than unsolicited material. I also have noticed that while TAXI has boasted of certain successes, mostly in TV/film placement and a few publishing things, they haven't had any major label artist record deals come about. My conclusion is that TAXI is probably good for certain things, such as trying to get placements for TV and smaller movie things, but for those looking for access and a real dialogue with record labels and major publishers, the best way is still to build a story and buzz on your own and they will come to you.

I have been a TAXI member since 4/99. I have just signed a licensing agreement with Windswept for eighteen (18) of my songs. In case you are not familiar with Windswept, this is the publishing company you sold 40,000 titles, (including Louie Louie, Freebird, Tequila! etc. etc.) to EMI for $200,000,000--that's right two hundred million dollars! I point this out only to show that they are a well established publisher. This agreement was made possible through my TAXI affiliation. I submitted to a listing several months ago. I was not forwarded for that particular listing, (I have 27 forwards to date). Don Grierson, the TAXI screener (check out his credentials on the TAXI website) was impressed with my material, even though it did not fit the listing that I submitted it for. He kept my CD. . Mr. Greirson began working with Windswept to find music for TV and film. He met with them played my music for them, and put them directly in touch with me. They signed all 11 tracks off my CD and an additional 7 tracks I later sent them!! And some people out there think TAXI is a rip-off or a scam? Let me tell you, I have been a professional musician for over 25 years, and writing songs almost as long. I come from a family of esteemed musicians, (my brother is currently on tour with The Eagles), I have been looking to sign a deal with a reputable publisher for over ten years, and spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars calling, and sending out packages, that usually never get listened to. TAXI IS A BARGAIN!! For anyone serious about their music without a direct link to the business, tell me a better way to get your music heard. I have 27 songs out there that I know at least were listened to by someone who could make a difference, and the cost of the membership and the miniscule $5 a song submission fee is peanuts. If I get even one song placed in a film or a TV show as a result of my deal with Windswept, it will more than cover my membership, submission fees, and mailing expenses. More importantly, I now have a working relationship with a great publisher, who I can send my material knowing it will get a serious listen. TAXI is not the only answer to getting a "deal" but the way I see it, it's an option I can't afford not to take. TAXI ROCKS!!!!! Archie Thompson

Archived