Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

U2 on SNL (X-posted from my LiveJournal)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dont think they tried to prove anything.

after watching it, i too was in awe as was the audience. i think they only went out there to make music, and thats what they did.

there were a few glitches, like the monitor ring in the second song, bono crunching a high note, and the edge did something very funny at one point, maybe thats where his e string broke, i dont know.

but even with the glitches it was still great, the probs didnt bother me at all.

to tell you the truth, when edge played the second song it gave me goosebumps. something about when he played the high part with the effects was just, well, WOW. dont know the name of the song.

just one thing bothers me though:

at the end of the second song, after bono said " i dont want you back", the was some vocal line just after that that didnt quite fit. i dont think it was a tape or anything, but maybe a delay from before? any ideas? ANYONE ELSE HEAR THAT?

I got hosed out of the 2nd song when my replay tv decided it was time to update software for only 2 minutes...right about the 2nd verse of the tune...

Grrr...

But, I finally heard the entire song on the radio. Liking it. It is also amazing how fresh Edge's guitar 'sound' sounds now against the unending parade of Drop D monkeys.

Originally posted by Dr. Taz:

They still rule, man! But damn... the SNL audience gets one more, and we don't! That sux. Oh well...

At least they sounded great.

EDIT: the Edge managed to break the high E string from his 1976 Gibson Explorer... now that's rock 'n roll!

Here in Milwaukee, WI - we saw all 3 songs. This was the first time I remember a band playing 3 songs on SNL - and on the outro, they (SNL) was definitely out to show that it was live, live, live... Even Bono repeated the message.

Oh, by the way - I thought the band sounded great.

Pete

Originally posted by pbognar:

Here in Milwaukee, WI - we saw all 3 songs. This was the first time I remember a band playing 3 songs on SNL - and on the outro, they (SNL) was definitely out to show that it was live, live, live... Even Bono repeated the message.

Oh, by the way - I thought the band sounded great.

Pete

Guess you didn't notice. At the end of 'I Will Follow', the third song, Bono was heard saying, "One more?" That's as the broadcast was about to end.

I wonder if the live audience got to really hear one more. I'd be willing to bet they did. :)

Archived