Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do you Smoke?

Do you also have kids?

I have nothing against smokers. I smoked for over 10 years. Very tough to quit.

But I don't like people smoking in confined spaces with kids. I drive my 3rd grader to school a couple of times a week. The school is about 5 minutes away. Most students in the school are no more than 5 minutes away. Why do people have to smoke a butt during this little drive? I've seen several people in the past month or so, pulling up, windows closed, smoking a cigarette. One car had an infant in the back.

I don't get it. I know it's a tough habit. But why let little lungs breathe that shit. Smoke outside. Don't smoke in the car when you have kids in it. It's abuse.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

for reals, antimatter.

I quit smoking last year, and i won't say that i don't miss it sometimes.

But when my roommates and i went out for dinner the other night, we went on a 20 minute drive, and they lit up 2x each, both ways. They've got a 4yo too.

I nearly choked the whole way, and my clothes stunk like an ashtray.

bleh

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

I've never even taken a puff of a cigarette, but I grew up with two of the heaviest smokers I've ever seen. At their peak, my mother smoked four packs a day and my father smoked about three (he had a full-time job teaching, which cut into his smoking); fortunately they've both since quit and are still with us. Even though there was no history of asthma in either of my parents' families, all three of their kids are asthmatics. Overall, my mother and father were great parents, but read into that fact (three-for-three asthmatics) what you will.

I smoke, and I have a kid... and never the twain shall meet.

From the moment he was born, 5-1/2 years ago, I never lit a cigarette inside the house, never smoked in a car with him in it, and generally am hesitant to even smoke around him when we're outside and a strong breeze is blowing.

My parents, conversely, constantly smoked in the house, which often had a blue haze of nicotine floating through like little psychedelic clouds in our living room. But I had no intention of repeating that behavior with my own kid, and didn't.

Would it be better for all to not smoke at all? Sure. Since that's not the case, I do what I can to make my smoking as unobtrusive for everyone... especially my boy.

- Jeff

Nope. The clubs in New York City never smelled better. Well, I can now smell the alcohol. *laughs*

I have an uncle that smokes, but he's cut back a lot in recent years. When I'm at his place, he usually smokes only two sticks. I bet he only smokes about five a day, like John Mellencamp... in any case, his health is a lot better since he's cut back. But, given his advanced age, and not suffering from too many other health problems, I can live with it. He does stay out of the way when kids are around.

I'm continually baffled at the fact that my uncle, who is about 54 probably, has been smoking most of his life, for years drank so much Pepsi (has now switched to diet), and eats mostly meat and candybars - has not had any health problems or heart attacks. But if he does, I wouldn't be too surprised.

Two packs a day through high school and the army. Quit one day. Just threw the cigs out the window (litter) and never lit up another. Do enjoy a good cigar now and then but always outside. They stink up the place too bad to smoke em indoors.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

No, I never picked up that habit.

But I've had more than my fair share of secondary smoke after years live sound duty... :mad:

Way back I also did a lot of DJ'ing, often very long gigs in very smoky clubs.

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Originally posted by where02190:

I'd vote for a smkoe free planet.

Make that two votes. And I believe I know my wife well enough to guarantee a third vote. ;)

Originally posted by Mats Olsson.:

No, I never picked up that habit.

But I've had more than my fair share of secondary smoke after years live sound duty... :mad: ...

Oddly enough, I worked in live sound for years without ever working in a bar.

I began my live career at Opryland Productions working at the Opryland USA themepark during the day and mixing convention/party entertainment at the hotel at night. The park allowed smoking, but not in the theaters and my outdoor gazebo/bandstand had plenty of breeze to keep the air relatively clear. The convention gigs were in ballrooms and few people if any smoked in the rooms.

After that I worked for several A/V companies and crewed concert and a/v with a local crew company. Even chain smoking techs rarely smoked in the work area, and when they did most venues were large enough that I never smelled anything. In fact, I became used to diesel fumes on docks but almost never had to deal with cigarette smoke.

It was a great shock, when I went to visit a bar I was going to be mixing at 3 nights per week, when the wave of smoke hit me as I walked in. Only then did I realize just how fortunate I was to have been mixing live sound for years without working smoky bars.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I smoked a total of 1.5 cigarettes one night whilst on a rum bender several years ago. It was more than enough to make me violently vomit, adn turn me off smoking for the rest of my life.

That makes 4 votes - 5 if my Jackie were here.

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

I smoke but I don't do it indoors or around kids. I don't even smoke outdoors around my younger cousins because I don't want to give them any ideas. It's a foul habit that ends badly for most of us that do it. I can always wait to light up when its not impacting everyone around me.

I quit nearly a year ago - for the second time. It's harder the second time if you really got back into it for awhile. I usually only smoked outdoors or in clubs/bars - and never in the home or in a car with the windows up.

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

From the moment he was born, 5-1/2 years ago, I never lit a cigarette inside the house, never smoked in a car with him in it, and generally am hesitant to even smoke around him when we're outside and a strong breeze is blowing.

:thu:

Not in the house, and not in the studio, and certainly not indoors around children. I think if someone wants to smoke, then that should be their right, but they should be considerate of others.

And yes, the world would be a better place without it, but I'm aganst outlawing it!

You know how when you smoke and drive, you crack the window and blow the smoke out the window, etc, right?

I don't get those ppl that drive around w/ all the windows rolled up, smokin' away. You know, with the heat or AC on.

When i used to smoke, i must say i was always aware of my potential of stinking like an ashtray, and did everything i could to minimize that. I made sure to stand 'upwind' from my cig, and hold it away from myself so that it wouldn't make me smell so bad.

But there are some people... do they just not smell themselves, or do they just not care?

Btw yeah, bars are horrible, and i'd have even told you that back in the days when i used to smoke. I would often windex down all my gear whenever we got done playing a gig.

WWND?

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

:thu:

Not in the house, and not in the studio, and certainly not indoors around children. I think if someone wants to smoke, then that should be their right, but they should be considerate of others.

And yes, the world would be a better place without it, but I'm aganst outlawing it!

Me three.

I smoke maybe 2 cigs a day, NEVER around my daughter, or any other people for that matter. And never, ever in the house. I like the smell of me smoking. I hate the smell of a smoked-in house. Bleck.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

The only public places that still allow smoking here in town are bars and Bingo hall.......not that I ever find myself in the latter very often. :P

Sure, I'l do a bit of a flip-flop and agree that smoking shouldn't be outlawed completely - that'd be just cruel. I'm all for the smoke free buidings, though. A couple of bars downtown have already gone smoke-free voluntarily - oh so nice to go out for a few and not come home reeking and coughing :thu:

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

Originally posted by Abnorm:

I quit in 1989.

And the city I work in, Arlington TX, has it banned. :thu:

You're telling me that it's illegal to buy or smoke cigarettes in Arlington, Texas, is that right?

Or were you trying to say that like most places, they've banned smoking indoors (offices, restaurants and so on)?

Just curious. BTW, no one's been able to smoke in bars, office buildings, or basically anywhere indoors in all of California for about seven years.

- Jeff

People still do that? :rolleyes:

Hey - to each his own. I'm not going to tell people what to do in that regard. Luckily, around here, most of the folks I hang out with have thrown away their cigarettes. A guy in my band likes an occassional cigar. A coworker down the hall goes outside every once in awhile. But for the most part the problem seems to be subsiding... Or maybe I just don't get out much anymore. ;) I stopped playing the weekend bar gigs some time ago and I don't frequent them much anymore.

Church services, on the other hand, are a totally different story! :eek::D

Is There Gas In The Car? :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by Spencer Crewe:

I'l do a bit of a flip-flop and agree that smoking shouldn't be outlawed completely - that'd be just cruel.

Cruel to whom, the smokers who will live longer, the relatives of the smokers who don't have to endure their death (a gruesome way to go) via cancer, or perhaps the billions of us who have to endure their disgusting habit. Perhaps it's the childrens and grandchildren that will suffer with having to endure visiting grandparents and greatgrandparents long past a smokers expected age, or the money that'll be saved by those same grandparents and great grandparents by not spending several dollars a day on butts.

OK I'll get off my soapbox now, but IMHO there is absolutely no good reason to smoke except youd on't have the guts to quit.

Think of what all those billions of dollars could do. If you live in the USA and smoke even a pack a day, you'd save on average about $1700/year if you quit.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Here we're starting to get into an issue that affects a lot of us...the law as it concerns smoking in public places such as bars. Some cities, as previously mentioned, are considering a ban on all smoking in public places.

While I am against people smoking...I also realize that if an ordinance such as that is enacted here in Kansas City, it'll really deal bars a serious blow.

My opinion, let each establishment decide, on a case-by-case basis, whether they want to allow smoking, limit it to certain sections, or ban it altogether.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

My opinion, let each establishment decide, on a case-by-case basis, whether they want to allow smoking, limit it to certain sections, or ban it altogether.

A bar I went to near Palm Springs CA had an outdoor section with a roof over it. It wasn't very big, but it wasn't a very big bar, either. You could smoke in this outdoor section, and they'd bring out your drinks and buffalo wings out there. Seemed like the best of both worlds, to me.

Now, in places that don't have the Pacific Mediteranean Climate, that may be less likely ;)

WWND?

Where's discussion of the extended impact of cigarettes reminded me of a few other things that really piss me off about a lot of smokers.

1. Cigarette butts all over the road, sidewalks, my yard, etc. Everywhere I go people litter, and that's just sad. But the bulk of litter I see are cigarette butts. Nothing quite as un-nerving on the road at night than a flash of light hurdling at you, seemingly from nowhere, as some numbnuts tosses his lit cigarette at your car. :mad: They throw butts from their car as if it's not a big deal and not littering. What happened to the damn ashtray in their car? (The answer: Half are filled to the rim with butts already, never to be emptied, and the other half are clean as a the day the car was built!

2. Restaurants. I don't see how anyone can take smoke when they're eating. Not many things worse than smelling your delicious food, only to be covered by the smell of smoke. Makes me want to keep a piece of burned flesh in a sealed container that I can set next to them while they try to eat. I'm sure that sounds pretty harsh. But I doubt many non-smokers miss the point that as bad as charred flesh smells to most everyone, cigarette smoke smells that almost as bad to non-smokers.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Litter? Nothing compared to the beer drinkers. Actually there is a huge subset that includes both. Assholes.

When I did smoke I had a 1-pint Planters Peanut can in my vehicle console filled with sand and kitty litter for an ashtray. That kept the odor gone and I was never tempted to litter.

Archived