Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What does the word Home mean to you....and where is your home?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tough one at this moment Steve...we're starting to break down and pack our "nested" home of almost 4 years - and move back to Dallas - which is "Home" for both of us. Family, old friends, schools, memories, births, deaths etc......

We've moved around quite a bit, and always "created" a home for ourselves, but we keep going back to Big D.

Lynn G

The Nashville area is our home. Has been for 10 years. (Half my adult life.) My daughter was born here.

But all our great friends are connected to us through the Chicago area. My inlaws still live ther as do two of my 3 brothers. (My parents moved to Florida 5 years ago.)

My best friend in the world lives outside San Francisco, but friends I've known since college still live in the same area.

Nashville doesn't have decent hot dogs or Japanese steak houses. (No attempts on the former, plenty of mediocre ones on the latter.) My appetite belongs to the Chicago area.

I guess I'll always think of Northern Illinois as home, no matter where I or my family happen to live. Just driving near my old home is like visiting an old friend.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Home is a theme that has crept into a number of my songs. If you care to... go to the link in my signature below and give a listen to either "Home to me" or "Comin Home"

Anyway, for me its Long Beach NY.

I grew up a few blocks from the ocean.

Man did that ever leave me imprinted.

To this day the beach is where I go to really unwind. My father was born in the town. Today he has a memorial plaque on a bench on the boardwalk. ...cause he " always loved the sound of the ocean and the sand on this beach"

I recall seeing the twin towers go up - from an outlying spot on the beach- on a very clear day you could see them from many miles away. Today there are many memorial plaques on benches on the boardwalk that include the 9/11 date.

I think part of the reason I maintain my attachment to the place is that my folks stayed there long after I left and I still have some family and friends in the area. I make it back at least once/year to hit the ocean, maybe the fireworks on the 4th of July- and maybe a good NYC concert.

I know some folks never get to experience this "real home" thing.

Too bad for them.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

Primarily, my home is wherever my loved ones are. First that means my wife and second that means my parents and siblings.

Geographically, where is my home? Is it where I spent most of my adult life? Is it where I spent most of my childhood? Is it where I spent the best year of my childhood? Is it where I was born? In my case these are all separate geographic locations: California, Georgia, Arizona, and Wisconsin (in no particular order).

I've spent most of my life "college town" environments, so I usually feel at home in college towns no matter what part of the country I'm in. I've spent most of my life with artist types, so I usually feel at home in any arts and entertainment community as well.

My home is to varying degrees in all of these places.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I'll have to take them in order. :D

Livingston, Montana

South Bay of Los Angeles (Gardena-Hawthorne)

North San Diego Coastal (Solana Beach-Encinitas)

Livingston, Montana again

Bozeman, Montana

Solana Beach, CA again

Pasadena, CA

San Gabriel, CA

Lake Oswego (a suburb of Portland), Oregon

13 years in this spot and I'm ready for The Next. Las Vegas? Phoenix? Suggestions?

I'm with Neil. The Chicago area defined who I was until I had my own family. I still go there often to see my sisters, so it still has the "home" vibe to it.

I've lived in Iowa, Kentucky, Minnesota and then 3 places in Wisconsin. Home has always been what I tried to create for my kids. A safe place where acceptance, love, security, warmth, fun, and family all happen consistently.

Now the kids are all gone and what I have is this house I built with my own 2 hands.

I'm in the process of redefining what makes it my home.

Got to admit.....I'm in a bit of an empty nest funk.

Home to me means the one place where you can totally be who you are, where your dreams can flourish and be safe, the place that reflects your soul.

For some people that means a place, for some it means a person or people, or maybe both. For me it's both... not only the physical place where I feel most at home but the people I trust and care about most. Happy to say I have found my home in most ways... still don't have a mate to share it with so there's a big piece missing yet, but this place and the friends and bandmates I have here, this is where I'm meant to be.

Home is-a where you wear-a your HAT!

I feel so break-up I-a wanna go HOME!

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:E0pRoEUNIr0J:www.cdharris.net/multi/realwhorfin.jpg

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

"Home" when you are a kid is different from home as an adult. Ideally, a kid is brought into an environment where they can develop self-confidence and not get scarred up. The environment is just as important as an adult but the critical difference is that the adult chooses it where the child does not.

My childhood home is as gone as my childhood. So whatever "home" is gonna be will be what I make it. Right now, it's pretty nice.

I was born in Korea, immigrated to Wisconsin, and I've spent over a year each in travel/work time in L.A., Santa Cruz/San Jose, Dallas, DC, Houston, Detroit, and San Francisco. I now live in NW Indiana.

But home is, and will always be, Chicago. Chicago, Chicago, Chicago.

I hope that all of you think of your "homes" with as great a sense of affection as I do the Windy City.

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by Phait:

Zero - you were born in Korea? I had no idea.. so then I guess you're Korean? Or it's entirely possible you're not. Clue me in!

Yep, like most music gear, I have a Korean pedigree (did you like my subtle dog reference?). Seoul used to be really unique for an urban center. These days, it's like another neighborhood in Los Angeles, except with fewer Korean people. :D

"For instance" is not proof.

home sweet home...

http://www.banow.ca/images/Gallery/Toronto/City%20Scape.JPG

My parents were the only ones from our family to leave Toronto. I was actually born and grew up an hour outside of this city... but still visited often.

Nevertheless, it always felt like home to me.

I live in the East End of London on the boarders and the place I live is called Walthamstow.

Its ok but we are moving soon to a place which will be nice.

I do love my little house where I have lived for 13 years or so but I originally came from Hampstead in North London and its different from there and with a diverse community.

I dont know what it is that keeps me attached to this house but moving isnt going to be easy emotionally as I just have a bond with my house and I guess i have made it a real home for me and the family.

This is where I live and some pictures of my area so you get an idea of what its like.

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/SharminHall/file000.jpg

We call this house, as many do on the street, the Farm House as we kept all the windows original and stripped them back but it could do with some paint and the garage window needs fixing after the kids went through it with a ball recently so we may do that over the weekend but I love it along with one of my gardens and this is the front....oh this is one of my little cars outside but its all home to me.

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/SharminHall/garden+3.JPG

This is Walthamstow Market which is the longest market in Europe at 1 mile long.

http://www.urbanpractitioners.co.uk/images/projects/photos/walth_market.jpg

This Epping Forest which is 5 mins away from my house and a really beautiful place leading from Walthamstow to most of the county of Essex.

http://www.field-studies-council.org/images/centres/eppingforest/eppingforest.jpg

all in all a nice place to live on the edge of the city! :):)

I feel as equally at home in both my hometown of Deer Lake, NL. as I do in my current home in the oldest city in North America - St. John's, NL. Sure, the weather kinda bits ass for half the year, here. But I've had so many great memories here building a life for myself that I can't view this place as somewhere other than "home".

Besides, everytime I visit my parents place, I see more and more strangers that I have no clue who they are. And in a community of 4300+ or so, I SHOULD at least recognize know most of them. But like everything else you can't stop change.

So in short, I have 2 homes: my old home that still feels like home, and my new home that I've made for myself.

I love them both :love:

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

I came to school up here and stuck around, so I guess it felt homey enough. I love the area, and now I'm married to a local with lots of in-laws, and here we are.

I've been living in Massachusetts almost as long as I lived in the family homestead in Pennsylvania, but I sometimes still refer to going to my dad's house as "going home".

Well, my dad still lives in the home I grew up in, and I still feel at home there, but now when I stay there, my stepmother gets all up in arms about "hosting" so it seems really bizarre. Yes, I know where the cereal bowls are...I know the silverware is in the second drawer, not the top one... :rolleyes:

Great thread, Wewus!

Jeebs...Deb and I have dined at the "Top of Toronto" restaurant atop the CN Tower.

I have two places I call home. One is Port Huron, Michigan, where I lived since I was 12, before going back to school and moving around the country. Went to high school there, started playing guitar there (learned my first chords in Sarnia, Ontario, right across the river), played in a lot of bands there. My best friends are there.

But the place that pulls me the hardest is the little town of Colonial Beach, Virginia. When I was very little, my family spent weekends there (I was born in D.C.), and, after my dad died when I was six, my mom and I moved there. If there's one place I really miss, it's Colonial Beach. We lived in a small house on the Potomac River. Mom sold the place in '69 for $17,500 when we moved to Michigan. Probably a reasonable price at the time. If the people who own it now were to sell it, they'd get over $250K for it (that's what the same basic house next door is going for). (Shakes head sadly).

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

To me home is a place where I feel at home. Obviously, places I've lived, and which had the people and experiences that shaped who I am, are/were my home. I live in Buffalo, New York, a "weathered" place with great people and food, not to mention a cultural and night-life scene that's surprisingly vibrant for a small-to-medium city like mine. This is where I grew up, made the majority of my friends, got married, and had my kids. I've had some of the best times of my life here, as well as some of the most terrifying or idiotic (often all in the same night). If I go out and don't run into someone I know, I'm truly surprised. I have also lived in Rhode and Long Islands, and feel somewhat at home there, but Buffalo is in my blood and will always be home.

However, I've travelled quite a bit and there are also a few "foreign" cities where I felt instantly at home. Visiting Chicago, New Orleans, Montreal, and Amsterdam has felt like seeing a relative I'd never met before. On the other hand, with the exception of New Orleans (which in many ways doesn't even feel like an American city), I've never felt truly at home in the South. I've had pleasant experiences and met nice people (I have quite a few relatives and friends in Virginia, North Carolina, Florida, and Texas), but I guess I'm just too Yankee to ever be completely comfortable below the Mason-Dixon line.

Home is a safe haven. It's the place you expand out from but can retreat into if and when necessary. Everyone needs a safe haven. Especially your kids. Give them a wonderful safe haven.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Archived