Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nice reverb plugin, free... live feel

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Phait

Have you used any of the other plug-ins at that link?

* Note, while these are free to download, the dude asks for donations if you like them and/or make a profit using them, please respect that, as with all donationware.

John

Cool - thanks!

I was just checking out this free Impulse Reverb for ProTools. Seems real nice - you have to print tracks (i.e. can't put it on an aux), but that's not such a bad deal really - frees up the CPU that way.

(Hint: open a second copy of the track you want to effect, then select the whole copied track. Load an impulse file, preview the change by adjusting the Mix to taste, then set the mix to 100% wet & print the track. You will then have a reverb track, and you can then mix the amount of reverb with the original track!)

I use the smartelectronix plugs almost exclusively. Some of those mad scientists could easily charge hundreds of dollars for their contributions. I especially like the DFX Resynth (a playable filter), Scrubby and Skidder on drums (weird fills). Bram's Supatrigga on drum tracks is like a live rex player... Just make sure you're always in record :D

Some of that stuff is the goods. If I ever made any money off music, I'd donate.

I use it sometimes,it's been out for quite a while now.To get rid of the nag screen upon opening,a donation is graciously accepted to the coder.Rob Papen designed some of the presets.One thing I find odd though,in the creen shot posted above,why does Logic bypass the GUI of this plugin?
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Yep, Ambience is a nice.

So nice that it prompted Gary Garritan to include it with his Garritan Personal Orchestra program as the main reverb plugin for GPO Studio. The halls are simply realistic.

I found the standalone plug is a cpu hog but the one included with GPO is not. Smartelectronix probably tweaked it for the program.

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

What program are you running, and what computer? And how many inputs do you need? Do you need any other features?

well, right now I is running a seven fiddy processor but I got a 1.8 processor waitin' for a board.

So I'm using win 98 se right now and a sound blaster VALUE card with an eighth inch input.

I wish to get a sound card with a dedicated processor.

I got cubase sx and win XP for when I move over to a bigger processor and diff motherboarde.

So for now it's win 98 and seven fiddy..

I built the compy me sef.. from scrounged parts. it's a SOONER computer. a heinze fiddy seven

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

The M-Audio Audiophile 2496 line is gopod stuff... I've got two of the PCI versions, although Ithink there is a USB or Firewire version available now. In any case, the PCI version has stereo analog I/O (on RCA jacks), S/PDIF digital coax IO (RCA type jacks) and a single MIDI in and out. Pretty cool, and they were going for $150 back when I bought mine... I bet they're even less than that now if you shop around a bit.

Getting a sound card with onboard DSP is going to be difficult for under $200. The new E-Mu cards have been getting good reviews, and I think (think being the big word here) that they may have some DSP onboard... but I'm not certain about that. In any event, they might be worth considering - I think the lowest priced card in their lineup is $99.

The M-Audio Audiophile 2496 line is gopod stuff... they were going for $150 back when I bought mine... I bet they're even less than that now if you shop around a bit.

The Audiophile 2496 is a great card and only $99 now! Fo-shizzle!

Getting a sound card with onboard DSP is going to be difficult for under $200. The new E-Mu cards have been getting good reviews, and I think (think being the big word here) that they may have some DSP onboard... but I'm not certain about that. In any event, they might be worth considering - I think the lowest priced card in their lineup is $99.

Phil,

Yes they have onboard DSP, and yes they're pretty good. I have a 1212m in my 2nd PC (an old dual PIII) and I just have to say that its an amazing card for its price ($199.00). The 0404 is priced at $99.00 also has onboard dsp. Although the reverbs are not up to par but still usuable.

Originally posted by Kronoslndln 10%off:

.One thing I find odd though,in the creen shot posted above,why does Logic bypass the GUI of this plugin?

I'm not sure, but I wonder if it has to do with the fact that I'm using Logic Audio 6, not Logic Pro 6... -shrugs-

The new E-Mu cards have been getting good reviews, and I think (think being the big word here) that they may have some DSP onboard... but I'm not certain about that.

The entire line of EMU cards have the same DSP chip,but that chip is way underpowerd and the effects aren't that good to begin with to be honest,there's much better freeware vst plugs out(Ambience being a case in point).The 1820 and 1820M are a great value for the converters and on board Pre and i/0 and the 0404 is a great bargain for an entry card,but the DSP chip is notthe reason to buy any of their cards.The scaled down UAD card for $400.00 represents the best deal for quality and price for a dedicated DSP card at the moment.

Originally posted by Phait:

-shrugs-

After thinking about it,they had someone else port it over to the Mac platform in VST and AU and that person probably couldn't port the GUI correctly.

Originally posted by Kronoslndln 10%off:

The new E-Mu cards have been getting good reviews, and I think (think being the big word here) that they may have some DSP onboard... but I'm not certain about that.

The entire line of EMU cards have the same DSP chip,but that chip is way underpowerd and the effects aren't that good to begin with to be honest,there's much better freeware vst plugs out(Ambience being a case in point).The 1820 and 1820M are a great value for the converters and on board Pre and i/0 and the 0404 is a great bargain for an entry card,but the DSP chip is notthe reason to buy any of their cards.
IMO the EMU effects are pretty usable except maybe for the verbs which I agree there are a lot more freeware vst plugs out there that are better. I thought the chorus and the delays are quite good on the E-mu. I think it should be considered that the effects on the E-mu cards are an added/extra plus and that's why I would consider it a great bang-for-the-buck card.

BTW, I don't think W98SE is supported.

The scaled down UAD card for $400.00 represents the best deal for quality and price for a dedicated DSP card at the moment.
I never thought of that. Good point! I agree the UAD card is the best bang-for-the-buck in terms of quality plugs for a dedicated dsp card.

Originally posted by FrankieP:

I thought the chorus and the delays are quite good on the E-mu..

The chorus was the only plug I found useable personally,and even that wasn't anything special to me.When someone is asking what the quality is on a DSP card or a sound card with built in DSP(Ala Creamware ect.)I have to go by the main components like EQ/Comp/Reverb which usually demand most of any DSP's recources and this is where EMU's DSP comes up short and sub paar,not to mention the chip itself isn't much more powerful than a Soundblasters DSP.So,I can't reccomend the EMU line of cards to anyone based on the built in DSP.Like you say,it's an extra feature and could come in handy to someone at times,nothing more.

Theys is a veddy few tings I gonne buy new now.

I buy new strangs for my axes and stuff you got to buy new..

AS much as I dislike buying NEW ,for me, technology HAS TO be new.

a lot of times you finde: This stuff is obsolete ten minutes affer it comes out of the package.

Not My STRATOCASTER. the perfect axe in so many ways. Been copied and recopied gazillions of times.

Thats technology at its best.

So I need a SOUNDCARD like my strat. A really good product that gives me all I need. that'll stand the test of time and Iffen I don't ever get another one I won't need a new one I'll just get another of the same, see?.

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

Originally posted by thisDude:

I especially like the DFX Resynth (a playable filter)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

That audio demo is awesome - thanks for pointing that one out.

IF you can get it to work, it's awesome. You can play the mouth of a filter on your keyboard like you'd play a lead, but the increments are in tune . No more estimating the tone on the knob or mod wheel! It's the only plug like it that I know of. I couldn't get it to accept midi notes in my Cubase rig, but it worked perfectly at a buddy's studio in Nuendo. Weird.

All the DestroyFX midi controlled effects are unique and worth checking out if you're into electronic, IDM, Drum and Bass, etc...

Archived