Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do you discover new music / Johnny Clegg RULEZ

Somehow, I ended up with a few dozen of my brother's CDs. I pop one in of someone I've never heard of -- Johnny Clegg & Savuka (Heat, Dust and Dreams) CD. Man, this first song is killer. I like this! I don't know what category of music this would be. If you do, advise! Some type of Genesis-like rock with a touch of African influence. Any song that chants "Yahimbawula" (the watchman's fire is burning) is way cool with me! So, how do you discover new artists? Or do you have any online sources you like? Any ideas you've considered to find new music?

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I listen to [url=http://www.progrock.com.]www.progrock.com.[/url] If I want to listen to "normal" music I turn on VH-1, or on rare occasions, MTV2, which hasn't occured for months. If a band catches my ear, I'll do an mp3 search for them to get a better idea of what they're like, and from there I hit the stores. Mostly online.
This keyboard solo has obviously been tampered with!

[quote]Originally posted by KornRulez: [b]>>Johnny Clegg RULEZ << Dude, you got it all wrong - KORN Rulez. Korn. With a "K". Everyone else suxz.[/b][/quote] Dude, you've got it all wrong. KORN SUCKS. Disturbed and Drowning Pool RULE!

Lot's of suggestions I've been picking up here (more apt to trust musicians/biz people opinions of music). Kings-x is the latest one from a recent posting. NPR is a good source when they are spotlighting new music. Saturday nights (tonight) on NPR they play alot of this new synth based/techno-acid/tripcore music here in Detroit, it may be syndicated, check your local public radio, very original stuff.
In two days, it won't matter.

participate in a decent-size CD circle on the web with other people who are really into finding new music...it becomes the group turn-on. one admin has the full list of addresses, then e-mails each person with their contact...you burn a mix CD of stuff you want in the circle then send it to your contact...you of course get one in the mail...you listen, make note of artists/songs, then in 2 weeks you send it on to your contact...after a few months you will have heard all the mixes, and you will end up with your original mix. been doing it since 1983 with cassettes and snail mail...
Go tell someone you love that you love them.

Just for the record,Johnny Clegg is far from new,been around since the late 60's early 70's.He's a little on the commercial side these day's but I'll take African pop over any pop I hear here.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Usually, I hit different mailing lists that I'm a part of, or bulletin boards or newsgroups. Then I'd find a way to get some mp3's of the music. If I like it enough, I'll get it though alot of the music I listen to these days doesn't make it on radio. So it's usually online. synthguy: I checked out progrock.com. Not much that I could see on there is new, personally. Yeah, I know there are new Dream Theater and Transatlantic cd's recently, but IMO, it's not very progressive.

Archived