Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

M-Box vs Q-10 ABANDON THE KNOBS!

I just returned a Digi 001 to SWS. I put a Q-10 on order, then I hear about the M-Box. While I think I am sticking with the Q-10/Cakewalk combo, it seems to me that the hardware end is really missing a key concept in supplementary hardware recording devices. If it is required to connect to a PC to do ANYTHING, why put level knobs on it? I ask this because it makes much more sense to me to put the inputs on the front of the unit and the outputs on the back. Shouldn't these knobs be totally replaceable by software? I realize that many of the synth people are flashing back to the pre-JD-800 days, when it was hard to get a tweakable,real time synth with knobs, but in the case of recording hardware, expecially the lower end stuff, it just seems like the front should be dedicated to inputs, and let the software control the levels. Thoughts?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Personally, I would like to have both. Sometimes it's faster and easier to grab a pot on the front of the unit to adjust the gain, and other times you might want to adjust it with software. It's often times very easy to fill up your screen with just your sequencer's window, so having to open yet another window can be a pain. But I can see your point of wanting software control as well.

[quote]Originally posted by deanmass: [b]I just returned a Digi 001 to SWS. I put a Q-10 on order, then I hear about the M-Box. While I think I am sticking with the Q-10/Cakewalk combo, it seems to me that the hardware end is really missing a key concept in supplementary hardware recording devices. If it is required to connect to a PC to do ANYTHING, why put level knobs on it? I ask this because it makes much more sense to me to put the inputs on the front of the unit and the outputs on the back. Shouldn't these knobs be totally replaceable by software? I realize that many of the synth people are flashing back to the pre-JD-800 days, when it was hard to get a tweakable,real time synth with knobs, but in the case of recording hardware, expecially the lower end stuff, it just seems like the front should be dedicated to inputs, and let the software control the levels. Thoughts?[/b][/quote] If you don't mind, let me ask you about the Q10, for quite some time I been thinking about buying this unit, what is your expirience on it?? Thanks,

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

[quote]Originally posted by deanmass: [b]I haven't received it yet. It was supposed to ship to me the 15th, but they did not get them in. I'll let you know when I get it. The only known down side is the Cakewalk 9 bundle, which means I have to pay more for Sonar....[/b][/quote] Thank you for your reply!! I was intrested in the DIGI 001 Factory, but Protools is very picky. Please post a thread about it, if is not too much to ask. Thanks again [ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: ViLo ] [ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: ViLo ]

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

[quote]Originally posted by deanmass: [b]...I hear about the M-Box... ...Shouldn't these knobs be totally replaceable by software? [/b][/quote] I get your point, but after looking at the Mbox on the web, I have the impression that these 4 knobs are all in the analog domains. So I assume that by utilizing this design they kept costs down. And I don't mind at all, I hate virtual volume knobs on preamps and listening amps. Of those that has seen the Mbox: how does it feel, solid or flimsy? Will it sit nicely on the table when you press buttons & twist knobs, or will it perhaps fall over or glide easily? What's it's weight? /Mats [ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: mats.olsson@rockfile.se ]

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

[quote]Originally posted by mats.olsson@rockfile.se: [b] Of those that has seen the Mbox: how does it feel, solid or flimsy? Will it sit nicely on the table when you press buttons & twist knobs, or will it perhaps fall over or glide easily? What's it's weight? [/b][/quote] Off topic but noteworthy dept. I saw a picture of a fairly expensive mic pre that was at the AES show. It was [i]cylindrical[/i]! :eek: I guess that's to more easily implement the role-off-the-table-and-take-a-$1500-dive-to-the-floor feature. :D later, Mike

[quote]Originally posted by coolhouse: [b] Off topic but noteworthy dept. I saw a picture of a fairly expensive mic pre that was at the AES show. It was [i]cylindrical[/i]! :eek: I guess that's to more easily implement the role-off-the-table-and-take-a-$1500-dive-to-the-floor feature. :D later, Mike[/b][/quote] Sounds exactly like a [url=http://www.crookwood.com/what%20line%20card.htm]Crookwood Paintpot[/url] ! A serious piece of equipment, a modern classic. Crispin Herrod-Taylor sure knows his stuff! /Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Here's my thoughts on why the knobs are there - it comes down to costs. Wouldn't hardware always cost more than software? Not really... those knobs are for preamps and headphone controls - both of which are analog components which come before the ADC's (preamps) or after the DAC's (headphones). I think if you look at most of the similar products on the market, you'll find analog control knobs for the onboard preamps and headphone output level controls. It's cheaper to build them this way, and for many people, they prefer being able to just grab a knob rather than having to adjust this in software. Anyway, I could very easily be wrong on this, but that's my theory. [img]http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s2/contrib/navigator/usa.gif[/img] Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://www.ssrstudio.com pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

Re. the Q10 - I really like the unit except for one thing, especially for future Sonar users. There are no WDM drivers, not even in beta, and Aardvark isn't forthcoming regarding when (if?) they will be available. Good things for the unit: It's extremely quiet and sounds very good. I also really like having the monitor and headphone pots separate on the front panel. P.S. if anyone knows of or would like to start up an Aardvark user forum, please let me know!

Archived