Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Live Aid now out on DVD

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never saw LiveAid, but I've seen The Cars.

Worst arena show I've seen. I remember thinking "Wow, they can't pull it off, live."

Bad sound, bad performance.

**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

I remember a story I heard from somebody about Live Aid. Right after the show was over some suits from the BBC went into the recording truck(s) and took all the masters away - nobody seemed to know what was going on in the recording truck about it. I don't know if that's true or what the other details were. But I guess we know now they were not "lost".

I remember two things from Live Aid: Darryl Hall strumming his guitar with so much feeling, and not moving his fretting hand at all :rolleyes: and being really impressed with Madonna's performance. Sounds like an interesting DVD to pick up.

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Originally posted by ptuzer:

I remember a story I heard from somebody about Live Aid. Right after the show was over some suits from the BBC went into the recording truck(s) and took all the masters away - nobody seemed to know what was going on in the recording truck about it. I don't know if that's true or what the other details were. But I guess we know now they were not "lost".

It was originally never supposed to have been recorded, something to do with the copyrighting nightmare of having so many acts perform back then, so they may have had to get hold of them asap.

Maybe this is a cash-in, but at least it's a worthy one, no tax is being collected on sales of it here, it'll all go to the charity...

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Bob Geldof said that at the time, he promised all of the artists that this would never be released on video, but that he has changed his mind after seeing in readily available on bootleg DVD all over the world.

"...I couldn't believe the number of bootleg copies being sold they are quite literally taking food from the hungry. This has to be stopped." Well, isn't it more properly Geldof not getting food to the hungry because of his inaction in releasing this?

Originally posted by Abnorm:

A bunch of music DVDs just came out: Live Aid, Eric Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival, and Festival Express with Janis Joplin. I'm going to get all of them. I love music DVDs. :thu:

One from Queen is being released today, too!

Botch

www.puddlestone.net

The LIVE AID DVD is supposed to come out next Tuesday, Nov. 16. It will be a 4 DVD set.

Some price comparisons on other DVDs:

Crossroads Guitar Festival - $30 at Best Buy, $25 at TowerRecords.com

Festival Express with Janis Joplin - $30 at Best Buy, $18 at TowerRecords.com

I think I'll buy mine at Tower, and no, I don't work for them.

Originally posted by nursers:

What's the Queen one Botch?

It's called "Live at Wembley", 2-DVD disk set, I picked it up last night for $18, haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

Queen came to Iowa State University years ago but I couldn't afford the tix, this'll have to do.

Botch

www.puddlestone.net

Wow, that's amazing. I was THERE at JFK.

We got in late and missed Sabbath, though I heard they sucked. Round about 11:00am 120,000 people started to bake. I think my friends and I went though a gallon of water each and wished we'd brought more. People were falling over everywhere, and a guy in front of me had some sort of bad trip/seizure and started puking up some clear liquid.

The music? Frankly, I don't remember much of it. The sound at JFK was horrible and they were having a hard time with the video feed. I think we got to see 30 seconds of The Who before the link dropped out.

Of course the best part was being there at sunset, with it just starting to cool after being blistered for 8 hours, the sun setting, and Page, Plant, and JPJ hitting the stage. Am I remebering correctly? It seems I remember it being Phil Collins on drums for the Zep set.

Oh, I also remember when Phil was playing "In

the Air Tonight" and playing the piano, and the audience filling in the drum fill.

That was pretty cool.

I seem to remember more than I thought. I guess I'll have to get this.

I really don't know what to put here.

I just heard that they are redoing the "Feed the World" song (I think thats what it's called) this holiday season with the current crop of British Pop Stars to raise money for Africa again this holiday season.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Originally posted by kylen:

I almost picked this up today - but where's the Led Zeppelin sequence (missing Bonzo of course RIP), I don't see it listed ?

Jimmy and Robert were literally so embarrassed by how bad the performance was that they wouldn't authorize its release. Geldof agreed.

I remember that day in July 1985. I was in Boston at Berklee. We watched most of it on a TV in the dorm. I was so horrified at Jimmy having the worst guitar tone ever, only to be topped by Plant's voice squeaking and bleating every time he reached for a high note like in the old days. Page looked like he was about to drop dead of a heroin OD, too. Nice.

So... no Zep.

- Jeff

Cool Jack, I didn't know you were there! We just started watching the DVD set last night.

Originally posted by Jotown:

I just heard that they are redoing the "Feed the World" song this holiday season with the current crop of British Pop Stars to raise money for Africa again this holiday season.

Yep, there is a thread about the song HERE.

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

Originally posted by kylen:

I almost picked this up today - but where's the Led Zeppelin sequence (missing Bonzo of course RIP), I don't see it listed ?

Jimmy and Robert were literally so embarrassed by how bad the performance was that they wouldn't authorize its release. Geldof agreed.

I remember that day in July 1985. I was in Boston at Berklee. We watched most of it on a TV in the dorm. I was so horrified at Jimmy having the worst guitar tone ever, only to be topped by Plant's voice squeaking and bleating every time he reached for a high note like in the old days. Page looked like he was about to drop dead of a heroin OD, too. Nice.

So... no Zep.

- Jeff

Heh - I taped a bunch of the show, and I got them on tape. :P

They are going to donate the proceeds from a forthcoming Led Zep / Page/Plant DVD to the charity tho to make up for it...
Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

OK - oops...the memory fades I guess. I was looking forward to watching it again 20 years later - looks like it would've been depressing ! :D

The only thing I remember about watching it was the bad performances. Zep for sure were awful. Jimmy's solo in STH was painful to endure.

I also remember Daryl Hall's & Simon LeBon's voices cracking like a couple of pubescent choirboys.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Archived