Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lexi LXP1 vs MPX100?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lwilliam; Harmony Central has an extensive user reviews section on both of those Lexicon lines. Some of the reviews are very favorable of the LXP, specifically over the MPX. Is it possible that 32 bit is better than 48? That's what they seem to be saying in the reviews.

the lxp's are 16bit. the sample rate is approx 33K. they are very dark sounding, probably due to the low sample rate. i have a dedicated 486/66 running my lxp5. all commands are accesible from the pc. its truly a wonderful thing. the mpx has no such interface, but if you dont have a pc to run it the lxp's are hard to set up. we're talking the lxp's have a 2 band INPUT eq. WOW! all kinds of goodies are accesible via pc interface. to me, i like the mpx's but they sound more "digital" to me, the lxp's sound more "mysterious" i HAVE succesfully set mine up with a patch that will only reverb ONE note on the guitar, all other freq's bypass the unit. try that with an mpx. also, you could set it up to react to only one note (or group of freq's containing more thn one note) and run it through delay. play all the notes you want, but when you get to the "magic" note the effect happens. how much neater can you get than an lxp? not much!

Aah, 16 bit. I knew that. No, I didn't. Well, coaster, I have a line on an LXP1 and an LXP5 with an MRC for $250. I'm looking at it tomorrow, Sunday. What do you think? I'd like to use one in my studio, and one in the effects loop of my Marshall. Is that at all a good idea? Thanks for your ideas.

i think youll love it. just be prepared more many hours of frustration learning to use them! once you learn its all good. seriously, get a old cheep run-down pc. that way you have access to all parameters on screen; like a GUI. my pc was free! got it out of a dumpster.. you can save the presets you make into the unit, so you can take the lxp on the road [i]without[/i] a pc.

yea it will transpose down at least TWO octaves. i really think these boxes are greatly overlooked. in fact, i got mine on a joke: i had been eyeing one for a few years that someone had. i had fallen in love with it long ago. one day i asked jokingly "when you gonna sell that one to me?" they asked for an offer. i jokingly pulled out a hundred dollar bill and said "i'll give you this right now" thinking it was too low an offer. i walked out with the lxp5! apparently they wanted to buy an expensive mic stand and were about $120 short.

One of our first effects units,years ago------something about those boxes---sold one set 5 years back (for TC ) and just had to buy another set this year,,,,,,for the price +++nothing sounds like their verb or pitch---very warm, less "digital"--maybe a litle curve on the MCR controller---we dedicate one to a snare and the other for guitars///// http://fp2k.redshift.com/cjogo/crystalrecording.htm

I have been using an LXP1 in my live sound rack since they first came out. I have found it easy to program and easy to store via midi. I use it all the time on my sax and it is dark and very warm. I also have a Sony DPS V55 which is brighter and very clean but the LXP is much better for our live vocal reverbs and delays. Being a half rack unit allows me to have my Stewart half rack stereo monitor amp next to it. The coolest thing is to use a Digitech Vocalist to create four part harmony and use a short double on the LXP. I frquently play horn section stuff..all by myself.

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

Coaster; Assuming I buy these LXP's, can I control them with my current PC? It's a Compaq Presario. I don't think I want to get an old run-down PC if this will do that. And, why doesn't the MRC offer enough control? Curious. Now you've got me thinking twice, because I was kind of hoping they'd be easy to use and not bring in more complication. I'm not a big tech manual-tweak all night kind of guy.

no dont get the wrong idea...... for the first two years i used mine i was VERY happy just "turning the knobs" and finding the sounds i wanted. theres a lot of presets in there that are VERY VERY cool. i memorized where my favorite sounds were. MULTI bank has the very best presets IMHO. when i am looking for and effect that i dont know what i want for sure - i STILL start out just "turning the knobs" till i find something that strikes me. then i'll load that into my pc so i can tweak it to EXACTLY the way i want. I am sure a modern pc will be able to access the lxp, but since i am a MAC guy i cant help you with specifics. the mac does not have ANY stand alone lxp editors so i got an old pc with windoze 95 and a soundblaster 16 card for midi access. but the thing is, midi only transfers at ONE mhz, so even a 66 mhz pc is really a lot faster than you need. i have no speed issues with the 66mhz pc i have. because in fact the pc has no speed :) if you have a chance to get these boxes, jump on it. youll never think twice about it again once you hear what they can do for you.

Thank you Coaster for the additional info. as I'm looking at this thing and getting ready to part with money. I just came from the Lexicon website and it seems from their description as if the LXP-5 suits my needs better. Am I "reading" them correctly when I say that of the two, it seems to lend itself more to real time front panel control? I'd like to use it in my FX loop of my amp when playing out, and in the aux of my mixer here in the studio. $100 is the price he's asking for the LXP-5, and I can spare it right now if it's good value. My original idea to buy both units and the MRC seems less attractive to me right now, since it'd kind of tie up more money than I want to be "out" right now. Know what I mean? Anyway, thanks for the info. and the benefit of your experience with these units. :D

Archived