Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just Saw The New Star Wars Trailer

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.keishacastlehughes.com/galleries/various/QueenNaboo.jpg

Leia remembers her mother, so Padme won't die in ep 3 unless we see the twins as small children.

I'm sure you guys are all hip enough to have seen Whale Rider, right?

Originally posted by Super 8:

Originally posted by meccajay:

1)What happens to Padme?

I think she has to die by Jedi hands...specifically Obi-wan. Maybe Palpatine lies to Anakin about it. But I think Anakin somehow has to blame Obi-wan -and by extension- the Jedi Knights, for the death of Padme. It's really the only thing that could explain him becoming a Sith.
Or Vader kills her while Anakin is defending her, leading to Vader killing Anakin, from a certain point of view, thus leading to Obi-Wan's explanantion to Luke of how Vader killed his father before trying to cover this up in Empire when Lucas realised what a great plot twist it would be. Noooooo, of course he didn't make it all up as he went along :D

I think Padme probably won't be there at the end of episode 3, when Leia says that she remembers her mother, I always assumed she meant her adoptive mother, since she believes that Bail Organa (Jimmy Smits, for about 3 seconds in ep 2) is her real father...

Ok, have I outgeeked you all yet???

Just found some new pics here

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

I was a kid when the first series of films came around. I was awe struck. They were great. I still have my Burger King Empire Strikes Back glasses and my original large size Star Wars comic book.

Time passes.

Episode 1 and 2 arrive. I have never been so disappointed. The acting was soooo stiff, the CG effects were totally overkill and not even close to believable (I am in the digital effects biz). The "race" in EP-1 was obviously a commercial for the videogame and way too long.

Speaking of the acting....Anikan in EP-1, man i hated that kid, the kind you just want to smack! The guy in EP-2 was't much of an improvement. I know we are not supposed to like him 100% because he is Vader, but wouldn't that make for better drama.

I agree with Phait on the fact that the advances in CG are jarring considering these episodes happen before Star Wars. I like the blue screen stuff from EP 4-6 over the syrupy schlock of the new flicks anyday.

Maybe I was young and impressionable, but the original flicks seemed less kiddy. The new ones are a victim of Disney-izing.

Count this life long Star Wars fan out. Yuck. :cry:

There is no substitute.

I happened to find these, and thought people might be interested in them. They are an analysis of the changes made between the original, special edition and DVD versions of the Star Wars trilogy.

All kinds of commentary. Plus a nice section at the end where all of the original trilogy purists piss and moan over said changes. :D

Anyway, it was really interesting reading. Check it out!

Lots of side by side camparisons of pics and sound bites too.

A New Hope

Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Originally posted by Joe Cole:

Episode 1 and 2 arrive. I have never been so disappointed. The acting was soooo stiff

Really? I thought EpII, was quite good. I rank it third after 'ANH' and 'ESB'.

EpI didn't fair as well, but I still liked it better than 'RotJ'.

I didn't like the pacing in EpI. I think Lucas just sped through those scenes way too fast. Judging by Lucas's commentary on the DVD, I think he agrees. I think Jar-Jar backfired completely. But I loved Darth Maul, and that final saber battle really cool.

the CG effects were totally overkill and not even close to believable (I am in the digital effects biz).

I'm not sure what "overkill" means within the context of Star Wars. I think seeing 50 stormtroopers firing laser bullets at Luke, Leia, Han and Chewie, and the Stormtroopers are being picked off, while our heros seem as if they couldn't get hit if they tried....I think that's overkill. I think the whole series is overkill. That's kind of what Star Wars is about. So, the CG effects don't seem inapropriate to me at all.

Regarding believability, I'm not sure I agree with you. Some of the effects seemed more believable than others. I was surprised to find out that ALL of the clone troopers were CG. They never even made a single constume for close-ups or reference. So, I'd say that was one example of where I couldn't tell what was real and what was an effect.

The "race" in EP-1 was obviously a commercial for the videogame and way too long.

Well, I don't agree that it was a commercial. But I agree with you that it got a little long. Especially since it really wasn't all that vital to the movie.

It's fairly well known that Lucas is a big racing fan, and the idea of doing the taking a seat and strapping a couple of 747 engines to it, and having them race probably got him a little extra horny.

Speaking of the acting....Anikan in EP-1, man i hated that kid, the kind you just want to smack! The guy in EP-2 was't much of an improvement.

I didn't really have a problem with the kid (Jake Lloyd), as an actor. What I didn't like were his lines. Also, we was just wayyyyyyy to cleaned up and pretty to be a 'slave boy'.

Hayden Christiansen's (older Anakin) acting was far too forced. In fairness, he had a couple of scenes that I thought he acted well in, but everything else was a disappointment.

I can't imagine the quality of actors he must have been up against if HE WAS THE ONE who past the audition.

Maybe I was young and impressionable, but the original flicks seemed less kiddy. The new ones are a victim of Disney-izing.

More Disney than Ewoks?????

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Originally posted by Super 8:

I editted your post to repond....

I'm not sure what "overkill" means within the context of Star Wars. That's kind of what Star Wars is about. So, the CG effects don't seem inapropriate to me at all.

Regarding believability, I'm not sure I agree with you. Some of the effects seemed more believable than others.

Well, I don't agree that it was a commercial. But I agree with you that it got a little long.

More Disney than Ewoks?????[/QB]

Super 8, :) I guess I need to take Star Wars with a pinch more of salt.

That said, we'll agree to disagree on a few things. The CGI effects were just not half as good as the reels I get from discreet from NAB or othe trades shows. You should see stuff from KD Labs! They have depth and texture. As for the race... that felt like painful product placement to me.

Ewoks...yeah, that wasn't exactly Isaac Asimov either....

But...Darth Maul was a scream!

There is no substitute.

The Ewoks were supposed to be Wookies in Jedi, looks like something they've done in Revenge of the Sith instead...

And regarding Hayden's acting, c'mon it was superb!!!! Completely wooden and characterless, making him utterly believable as being Luke & Leia's father :D

BTW, Phait, cool avatars!!! :thu: Tho I gave up after the second film, Iggy Pop should never be allowed in front of a camera again as long as he lives!!!!!

Originally posted by meccajay:

Okay guys, I just stumbled upon this link.. It's the ENTIRE EpIII storyline! !

Huge, huge, massive spoilers , so read it if you dare. . . Then decide if it's true!!

http://www.beforethemagic.com/story.html

Read the first couple of paragraphs and it's consistent with the details I know about the film so far, so I assume it's genuine and stopped reading....

Originally posted by Base:

And regarding Hayden's acting, c'mon it was superb!!!! Completely wooden and characterless, making him utterly believable as being Luke & Leia's father :D

Ya know....people give Mark Hamill a lot of crap for his acting ability in Star Wars, and I've never really understood it. I mean, Mark is no Harrison Ford, but I thought he did a fine job of playing Luke. He he had depth to his charactor. He gave us some good emotion.

Much better than Hayden, that's for sure.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Much of the flack about the quality of the acting in the SW films should, IMO, be instead aimed at Lucas, both for writing hackneyed, trite dialogue that doesn't exactly leap from the mouth (it's better read than said), and for apparently not being "an actor's director".

He's a technical director, not an emotional one.

So he gets technique, not passion.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Archived