Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just Saw The New Star Wars Trailer

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Super 8:

Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows:

If they want good special effects, maybe they should give Peter Jackson a call! :D

Who do you think set Peter Jackson up??? ;)
Is that right? But I thought Smiegel (spelling?) looked so much better than anything in Episode I (or really, just about anything else). So if that is the same technology, well, why does it look so much better?

And maybe I was a little harsh on the Star Wars Episode I assessment in my previous post. Don't get me wrong, I still don't think it was a great movie, and not up to Lucas' high standards (although the guy was always really weak on dialogue). But when you compare it to the other stuff that was out at the time, it was actually pretty good!!

Yoda going back and forth from puppet to CG charactor. You can't have it both ways....pick one and stay with it.

Puppet I am not. Computer generated character I am not! Upside head with Force shall I strike you if wrong you get again! :mad: More careful you be next time, hmmm? ;)

Count me in as another recent owner of the Episodes 4-6 DVD set.

One thing that I found to be almost silly, was the original Obi-Vader duel. Compared to the Matrix style fights in the new movies, man has fight choreography come a long way.

I'm hoping they do some more Yoda battling in Episode 3.

Does anyone know of any plans for sequel movies? Some Skywalker/Yoda offspring perhaps?

And the little kid in Episode 2, the son(?) of the Bounty Hunter; is that a little Han Solo?

the speculation over fight scenes is probably the most debated issue over the new film. the film is supposed to be ultra dark and comparable to empire strikes back in terms of being more adult in nature, and because of the story lines that are known we know a number of fights have to be accounted for by the end of the film.

- we know that dooku must die, so vader can take his place.

- we know that the film's core story is about the big battle between anakin and kenobi, which in turn allows anakin to be turned.

- we know that mace windu (sam jackson) will die in a fight scene, because he confirmed it.

"I Finally got my sword fight..."; Samuel L. Jackson said that he finally got to do that (use his lightsaber). He said he has already filmed his death scene and was visibly happy that he doesn't go out like a punk. - SLJ

- we now know (thanks to the trailer) that yoda and tyranus (the emperor) *will* at least draw their sabers (that's a new scene with yoda sparking his, but the big question is whether tyranus and yoda will fight each other).

other questions/speculation:

- there is a teenage chewbacca in the film, which also takes place at times on the wookie home planet

- there is no teenage han solo in the film

- not sure if young boba fett (clone "son" of clone template jango fett) is in the film

--_ ______________ _

"Self-awareness is the key to your upheaval from mediocrity."

****SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER****

I don't mean to out-geek anyone...but here's epi 3...

Anakin is recruited by SIDIOUS (the emperor) to defeat Lord Tyrannus (An ancient Sith that was mentioned briefly in epi2 for instructing the creation of the clone army)...yes...a character that we havn't even seen yet. Sith are always 2,..so somehow Dooku dies so Anakin can do this.

Apparently Tyrranus set this whole thing in motion...which is kid of dissapointing that we don't see him till now...

Anakin and Obi-Won do battle because Anakin blames Ben for all his failures. The fight ends with Anakin falling into Lava,..scalding most of his body. (Obviously Sidious rebuilds him as Vader)

Thats all I know. if you want to save the post to wait and see be my guest.

"..it will test your head,..and your mind,...and your brain too..."

Dewey Finn-

Originally posted by Super 8:

If they want good special effects, maybe they should give Peter Jackson a call! :D

Who do you think set Peter Jackson up??? ;)
Is that right? But I thought Smiegel (spelling?) looked so much better than anything in Episode I (or really, just about anything else). So if that is the same technology, well, why does it look so much better?

And maybe I was a little harsh on the Star Wars Episode I assessment in my previous post. Don't get me wrong, I still don't think it was a great movie, and not up to Lucas' high standards (although the guy was always really weak on dialogue). But when you compare it to the other stuff that was out at the time, it was actually pretty good!!

ILM provided consultation as well as software to Weta. But it comes down to the reason they look so different is the same reason two carpenters would build completely different houses with the same hammer. But yes, they worked together on LOTR.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Originally posted by antimatter:

Does anyone know of any plans for sequel movies? Some Skywalker/Yoda offspring perhaps?

And the little kid in Episode 2, the son(?) of the Bounty Hunter; is that a little Han Solo?

Nope. Lucas has stated that episode III will be the last Star Wars to be made. The series ends with 'Return of the Jedi'. There will be no more movies after this one.

The son of the bounty hunter you mentioned in not Han Solo. He is Boba Fett, son of Jango Fett. Boba proved to be quite popular with fans of 'Empire Strikes Back', so Lucas has tried to weave him into the story a little more. I liked the idea. And I really liked the actors they got to play Boba and Jango.

Originally posted by LIMiT:

****SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER****

Anakin is recruited by SIDIOUS (the emperor) to defeat Lord Tyrannus (An ancient Sith that was mentioned briefly in epi2 for instructing the creation of the clone army)...yes...a character that we havn't even seen yet.

which is kid of dissapointing that we don't see him till now...

Not quite accurate.

Lord Tyrannus is the SITH name of Count Dooku.

Dooku is a former Jedi knight who was a political idealist and was gradually corrupted by Darth Sidious (I'm assuming we've all figured out that Sidious is Palpatine who becomes the Emporer). When Dooku was corrupted and Darth Maul was killed in epI, Sidious took on a new apprentice. That is how Dooku became Tyrannus.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Originally posted by schmee:

- we know that mace windu (sam jackson) will die in a fight scene, because he confirmed it.

"I Finally got my sword fight..."; Samuel L. Jackson said that he finally got to do that (use his lightsaber).

I don't think he meant "use his lightsaber," because Mace used his saber to cut off Jango's head in EP2.

Originally posted by Hendmik:

No one else writes custom music for trailers.

While it may not be commonly done, I believe the folks at Immediate Music in Santa Monica do original music specifically for trailers...

ILM provided consultation as well as software to Weta.
Are you sure?

I'm fairly certain that the software packages they used were Massive and Shake , both of which can be purchased/licensed by anyone...also, I believe the software responsible for the sub-scattering of light under the skin of rendered characters (such as Gollum) was custom-written by Joe Letteri of Weta Digital.

Also, while it is true that visual effects supervisors Jim Rygiel and Joe Letteri used to work for ILM, I don't think either of them do any more... I know that Joe lives in NZ under Peter's direct employ, and is happily working on King Kong.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Why spend the money? No one else writes custom music for trailers. They own over 6 hours of Star Wars music done for the previous films, viewers instantly recognize. They've made great edits before. This one just slipped through.

Like Dave said above, that's not entirely true. I know several composers who write quite a bit of trailer music. I've even been hired to write a couple spots. I know of at least one composer who makes most of their living on trailer music. Why spend the money ? It's peanuts compared to what they spent on making the film and marketing, why not get something tailored to the trailers ? OTOH, I agree, with you, they've got six hours of music in the vault - there's no reason they couldn't cobble something decent together.

Rob Hoffman

http://www.robmixmusic.com

Los Angeles, CA

woops, meant lord sideous, not lord tyranus when i mentioned dooku's demise - indeed dooku/tyranus must die so that anakin/vader can take his place =p

dooku = tyranus

the above is an example of how a geek can appear to be a geek to other geeks. mind that, because it's not often such things occur.

one other thing, windu is definately in the film, he definately gets his kick ass sw(a)rd fight.

did any of you guys see the animated clone wars stuff?

windu is fighting against droids on (insert name) planet and the droids whip out this kick ass machine - it's a star destroyer-sized ship that hovers above the ground and drops a piston the size of rhode island on the ground and sends a shock-wave around destroys everything in something like a 10-mile radius (except mace windu, who rides it like any competent surfer and simply leaps a mile to the ship and dispatches the pilots of said craft).

anyway, i think we can all agree that the important thing about "revenge of the sith" is that jar-jar binks plays no serious role in the film.

:evil:

--_ ______________ _

"Self-awareness is the key to your upheaval from mediocrity."

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

No one else writes custom music for trailers.

While it may not be commonly done, I believe the folks at Immediate Music in Santa Monica do original music specifically for trailers...

ILM provided consultation as well as software to Weta.
Are you sure?

I'm fairly certain that the software packages they used were Massive and Shake , both of which can be purchased/licensed by anyone...also, I believe the software responsible for the sub-scattering of light under the skin of rendered characters (such as Gollum) was custom-written by Joe Letteri of Weta Digital.

Also, while it is true that visual effects supervisors Jim Rygiel and Joe Letteri used to work for ILM, I don't think either of them do any more... I know that Joe lives in NZ under Peter's direct employ, and is happily working on King Kong.

dB

Well, clearly, I should not have said no one. However, those films already with a distributor commonly get rights to pilfer through their music vaults for a temp track on their trailer. I don't know how many times I've heard the Edward Scissorhands music on other films from Fox.

Although it's not exactly cheap to have a composer write trailer music, book a studio and an orchestra for a day, then mix it. I doubt it's a money issue. I think it's more of a time issue. Directors are usually deep in the editing stage when this is happening and they don't want to be pulled away, nor do they want to pull the composer away from writing for the film, in which they only gave her/him 90 days to score the entire movie anyway. The pace is frantic and they usually cut corners where they can that won't impact their final film.

Secondly, I heard on the Two Towers director commentary that they had been working with ILM. At what level, I only remember they mentioned consultation and software, but it was a pretty high level statement with no details, so I can't offer anything more. Sorry. IMDB does not list ILM in anything near LOTR. So maybe I'm wrong.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Count me as one of the few that LOVED EII.

The Order:

Empire

Clones

New Hope

Phantom

Jedi

Phantom was only good because of Lord Maul. New Hope means the most to me because it was the very first movie I ever saw. In watching all the movies over and over, though, it's third best if only to me.

I think that EII will be the best of the prequels. People talk about the new ones having no story. There is as much of a story there as in the first movies. These newer ones aren't complete because they aren't supposed to be. Only New Hope is complete because they didn't think there'd be a second movie. The story for this trilogy is spread over all three.

I can't wait for May.

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

Originally posted by antimatter:

No! That's Boba Fett, the bounty hunter that sells Han Solo to Jabba the Hutt after he's frozen in the carbonite at the end of The Empire Strikes Back.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Originally posted by aliengroover:

Count me as one of the few that LOVED EII.

The Order:

Empire

Clones

New Hope

Phantom

Jedi

That's pretty close to the way I score them too. I think I'd probably make "A New Hope" number 2. But definitely, "Clones" in at third, and "Return of the Jedi" would be last.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Allright...Tyrranus is Dooku,...so who was the jedi that ordered the clone army?...that Obi-Won said "died nearly 10 years ago",..in epi 2.

Ok...I admit I'm not certain on the name...but I guarantee an ancient Sith,..that pretty much has had nothing to do with the story so far is behind the whole thing. Sidious asks Anakin to help him defeat this Sith Lord,.."only together can we defeat him"...praising Anakin as the best Jedi ever...appealing to Anakin's need to be the best...yada yada yoda yada....(had to throw that yoda in there)

Watch the trailer again...for a VERY BRIEF second,..a "emporer" like figure..missing a few teeth,..but wearing the dark cloak turn towards the camera quite quicly,..looking enraged (in battle perhaps)...this is this ancient Sith.

Again...save post for later.... ;)

"..it will test your head,..and your mind,...and your brain too..."

Dewey Finn-

Originally posted by LIMiT:

Allright...Tyrranus is Dooku,...so who was the jedi that ordered the clone army?...that Obi-Won said "died nearly 10 years ago",..in epi 2.

The Jedi who died "10 years ago" was Syfo-Dias. We never meet him, but it is said that he "ordered the creation of the clone army".

However, it smells like foul-play was involved.

Presumably, Tyranus (Count Dooku) was the one who ordered the army, and perhaps he was pretending to be Syfo-Dias. We're also given a clue that it was Tyranus because Jango-Fett -whom you'll remember was the man they cloned the army from- said he was recruited by "a man called Tyranus".

If this is the case, then it is likely that Tyranus killed Syfo-Dias.

Ok...I admit I'm not certain on the name...but I guarantee an ancient Sith,..that pretty much has had nothing to do with the story so far is behind the whole thing. Sidious asks Anakin to help him defeat this Sith Lord,.."only together can we defeat him"...praising Anakin as the best Jedi ever...appealing to Anakin's need to be the best...yada yada yoda yada....(had to throw that yoda in there)

I'm not sure where you are getting this from, but I think you are confusing a couple of scenes in EpII:

Sidious never asks Anakin to defeat anyone. However, Count Dooku does ask Obi-wan to help him defeat Sidious. Obi-Wan refuses, because he doesn't believe that a Sith Lord could have assumed control over the senate without the Jedi sensing it. However that is exactly what happened. Obi-Wan assumes that Dooku is trying to trick him. Personally, I think Dooku was being sincere, but that's just speculation.

The scene involving Anakin and Sidious (Supreme Chancellor Palpatine) is really just a moment to expose to the audience how Sidious has been secretly grooming Anakin, and encouraging him to be head-strong and arrogent:

"They've FINALLY given you an assignment..."

"You don't need training...."

"You'll be even more powerful than Master Yoda..."

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Yes were geeks! Were online, in band discussion forums discussing star wars...there's no hope for us. :(

To me, The 2 most interesting things about EpIII are this-

1)What happens to Padme? I know the emperor will use her to finalize Anakin's transformation to the dark side, but does the emporer kill her, only to blame the Jedi? Does Anakin himself kill her in a fit of "darkside" rage?

Does Padme survive and go into hiding with Obi-Wan, and the Emperor tells Ani she is dead by Jedi hands, which thrusts him into the darkside, and the infamous battle with Obi-Won? In either case, I believe Ankakin will believe she has died by the end.

2) Is Palpatine and The Emperor one in the same? Or.... is Palpy a clone of the Emperor?

TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by meccajay:

2) Is Palpatine and The Emperor one in the same? Or.... is Palpy a clone of the Emperor?

I've thought about him being a clone, too. Don't know why, but ever since it came up about clones, I've had that in the back of my mind.

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

padme is Luke and Leiya's (sp?) mom. So they probably can't kill her until her and Anakin, eh... haruumm...knock da bootz.(storm trooper bootz) She will have to give luke to his uncle, and Leiya to whoever at some point. Ya think this is in the last installment or are we just meant to draw this conclusion. :confused:

Originally posted by meccajay:

1)What happens to Padme?

I think she has to die by Jedi hands...specifically Obi-wan. Maybe Palpatine lies to Anakin about it. But I think Anakin somehow has to blame Obi-wan -and by extension- the Jedi Knights, for the death of Padme. It's really the only thing that could explain him becoming a Sith.

I'm quite certain that they are the same person.

The story about the clone, I think comes from one of the books, where it is said that Palpatine -while emperor- had been cloning himself, and this was a way to resurrect Palpatine in the book, so that he and Luke could have a showdown. Occasionally, Lucas gives a nod to the books, but he doesn't follow them at all. The books are basically just 'fan fiction'.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Archived