Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just Saw The New Star Wars Trailer

I loved Star Wars as a kid. The new films, I've been in a love-hate relationship for a while now. They're good, but I don't know how much nostalgia plays into my enjoyment, you know?

But the new trailer is awful. Downloaded it on Bitorrent last night. It looks like a fan film and there is a poor, POOR audio edit at the end that makes me embarassed for Lucasfilm and our industry.

The Episode I trailers were arguably better than the film. Artistic, mysterious and beautiful. Episode II, weren't as good, but they still made me want to see the movie.

The Episode II trailer looks like a cut scene for a video game. The ameturistic trailer for Doom 3 was leagues better.

It sucks growning up. :cry:

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Hendmik:

It looks like a fan film

That would be because it probably IS a fan film. It's way too early for the real trailer to be coming out.

They did the same thing with Episode 2. I remember seeing a bunch of Jedi running into battle with lightsabers in hand. Turned out to be a scene from Braveheart, and they just added the sabers. They stole a couple of cut scenes from the Star Wars games too.

I'd be interested in seeing what you saw. Got a link?

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Nope, it's the real one. :cry: But aren't all Star Wars films, fan films anymore?

It's only available for starwars.com members (another money grab). But I have a copy. I don't want to post a link publicly, because of bandwidth issues, but I'll PM you a link.

P.S. love the new avatar.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

I'm sensing a new Spinal Tap avatar theme around here, yes :D ? I've also been bummed with the prequels, especially Episode II. Anikan was better as a little tike. I don't know what they were thinking by letting a Candian play Darth Vader :eek: . I mean, if you gave the guy a hockey stick then sure, I'd buy it :D:P .

Why spend the money? No one else writes custom music for trailers. They own over 6 hours of Star Wars music done for the previous films, viewers instantly recognize. They've made great edits before. This one just slipped through.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

That Link didn't work..

I did see the trailer, and yes it was sweeeeeeeeeeet! Anakin with the 'Sith Lord' tint to his eyes looked very evil indeed!

They have putting up mirror sites fro the trailer all day and they keep getting knocked down or have too much traffic, so try Force.net, or Hyperspace sites, and you'll eventuall luck up and get it! Well worth the trouble!

"Lord Vader..."

"Yes master"

(In extremely deep voice)

"Riiiiise..."

TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by Dilligan:

? I've also been bummed with the prequels, especially Episode II. Anikan was better as a little tike.

Well now that I've seen the trailer, I can say that it was for real. I guess it is supposed to be released today.

I'd like to know what was so awful about it? I thought it looked kind of cool.

Regarding the prequels: I thought EpII was a significant improvement over EpI. I'm actually surprised to hear anyone would think EpI was better.

I didn't care for Jake Lloyd's script. And I didn't care for Hayden Christensen's forced acting. But there are so many other charactors that I do like. I loved Count Dooku. I thought Ewan McGregor was totally convincing as a young Alec Guiness.

I have to admit that I get a little defensive over the prequels. I think it has become kind of 'vogue' to bash the movies, and it kind of pisses me off. If someone has a legitimate gripe, I can understand that, but a lot of people just make ridiculous claims.

The prequels are NOT about marketing and making money.

Lucas is up to his neck in money. There is no big corporation behind these films. Lucas has funded every Star Wars film since 'Empire Stikes Back', entirely out of pocket.

He makes these films because he wants to, and for no other reason.

It bothers me when people claim it's all about using the Star Wars name to squeeze a few more bucks out of audiences.

Anyway, I just had to vent and get that off my chest. I'll behave now, I promise! :D

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Originally posted by Super 8:

It bothers me when people claim it's all about using the Star Wars name to squeeze a few more bucks out of audiences.

Anyway, I just had to vent and get that off my chest. I'll behave now, I promise! :D

I struggle when he releases the original trilogy every year in a new format. Original release, then letter box in the early 90's, then in '94 the THX remaster, then the Special Editions, then re-released the special editions with an Episode II preview, then on DVD. Although I openly admit I bought the DVDs. They are gorgeous.

Then there's the starwars.com website. No other movie marketing website charges visitors for advertising. $20 a month to see 3 minutes of the studio's security camera monitoring the parking lot. It's insulting. But as long as people spend the money, he'll keep doing it.

I do have to agree with you though. The movies are better than people will admit. Granted, it's no Ben Hur, but it's also too popular to bash it. You're right.

Besides, even if I hate Jar Jar, my daughter still loves him and thinks he's the funniest thing she's ever seen.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Originally posted by Dilligan:

? I've also been bummed with the prequels, especially Episode II. Anikan was better as a little tike.

Well now that I've seen the trailer, I can say that it was for real. I guess it is supposed to be released today.

I'd like to know what was so awful about it? I thought it looked kind of cool.

Regarding the prequels: I thought EpII was a significant improvement over EpI. I'm actually surprised to hear anyone would think EpI was better.

I didn't comment on the trailer yet, but I must say that Episode III looks like it will be the best of the prequels. I thought that the acting was the better in I vs. II overall. Also, the ending fight scene was kick-ass!

What I've hated about the prequels is all the technology inherent in the universe, looks more advanced than what we see in the first SW movies released in the 80's! It really throws the whole believability off, especially with so much done with CGI now, which just blows. Like they couldn't make a few ACTUAL Stormtrooper costumes for Epi 3 trailer and clone them to create the illusion of a mass army... the only way to "excuse" the newer look of the PREquels is to think that perhaps in that period, things were advanced, and that in the period AFTER (episodes 4, 5, 6) there was some kind of technological fallout or what-have-you.

Another thing to note: Lucas always intended the Star Wars movies to be set in the present - so episodes 4, 5, 6 were meant to be in the century/years they were actually released. Not in some future.

Originally posted by Phait:

Another thing to note: Lucas always intended the Star Wars movies to be set in the present - so episodes 4, 5, 6 were meant to be in the century/years they were actually released. Not in some future.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

True though, that it is not intended to be futuristic like most sci-fi films are.

I was so disappointed with Episode I that I haven't even seen Episode II. And this trailer looks like it blows chunks. If they want good special effects, maybe they should give Peter Jackson a call! :D

Originally posted by djwayne:

To quote the immortal words of Captain Kirk ,

"Have you guys ever kissed a girl ?"

Oh, bite me....

http://www.grouchyoldcripple.com/archives/finger.jpeg

Go eat some of your kitty litter cake.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

I struggle when he releases the original trilogy every year in a new format. Original release, then letter box in the early 90's, then in '94 the THX remaster, then the Special Editions, then re-released the special editions with an Episode II preview, then on DVD.

Alright......point taken.

Actually, I was surprised that the DVD's would come out so soon. I have been positive that there will be a definitive edition released after EpIII, that will create more continuity, and fix some of the inconsistencies:

i.e.

Yoda going back and forth from puppet to CG charactor. You can't have it both ways....pick one and stay with it.

Also, the Palpatine in ESB is a totally different actor than in the rest of the series, so that needs to be fixed.

And, I know I'm dreaming but.....after seeing all of the cool saber battles in the other movies, I was hoping that the final fight between Obi-wan and Vader might be a little more exciting. Maybe Lucas could dress it up a bit?

Then there's the starwars.com website. No other movie marketing website charges visitors for advertising. $20 a month to see 3 minutes of the studio's security camera monitoring the parking lot. It's insulting. But as long as people spend the money, he'll keep doing it.

Are they charging for that now???

I signed up for it years ago, but I ended up liking Theforce.net better.

The movies are better than people will admit. Granted, it's no Ben Hur,

True, but then I don't think they were meant to be. I think they are basically Flash Gordon on an epic scale. Lotsa action....fairly thin story line.....actors with VARYING DEGREES OF PROFICIENCY.

Besides, even if I hate Jar Jar, my daughter still loves him and thinks he's the funniest thing she's ever seen.

I understand some fans created an edited version of EpI which contained no Jar Jar, and sent it off to Lucas.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Dr. Who?

The SW OT box set was supposed to be after the PT like you mentioned. But after the Indiana Jones set came out and did well, they decided to do the Star Wars set early. The two have similar layouts and artwork., they just did the Indy set again but with Star Wars.

My Indy set has a nicer box. The SW box is not worth keeping.

Super,

The Emperor in Empire, as you pointed out, was a different actor. It's been changed/fixed (depending on your perspective) on the DVD, along with several other changes. Some I like, some I don't. A ton of audio changes, most of them, the average Joe will never hear.

The DVDs were worth it, but I gurantee that a new "definitive edition" 6 pack with all the films will be released next November, with even more changes. :rolleyes:

I'll be looking forward to the Episode II Special Edtion in which the love scenes are completely removed.

Man, I'm really exposing myself as a geek. I guess I should just stick to only exposing myself.

No wait...

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

along with several other changes. Some I like, some I don't. A ton of audio changes, most of them, the average Joe will never hear.

I think Lucas feels strongly that it's within the right of the director to go in and alter their work as he see's fit. Naturally, fans are going to have issues with this.

This might account for why he has released so many versions of the films.

I remember when they released the remastered trilogy on VHS before we even knew about the Special Edition. It's obvious in retrospect that he did that so there would be an untouched version of the original films left over for posterity, and to keep the purists content.

Let me ask you this...

Do you think it's going to be difficult to watch the entire saga (epI-epVI), and see it as a single complete work, given that epI-epIII were made with new technology? To me, the new films seem much busier and faster than the original trilogy. I think, as it stands, by the time you get to ANH, the whole thing is going to feel like it slows waaaaaaay down, and gets a lot clunkier.

What do you think?

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

As to all the different versions...I guess musicians aren't the only ones allowed to do remixes .

As to Episode I, think of this for a second. Pretend there had never been Star Wars, or any of the offshoots. Then pretend that some guy you never heard of came out with Episode I, and you went to see it. I think you'd be pretty blown away (although you'd still hate Jar Jar).

Star Wars isn't the pinnacle of Western Civilization or anything like that. But Lucas has single-handedly transformed the processes by which movies are made, and also single-handedly improved the quality of audio in theaters around the world. He's done it all with his own bucks, outside of the "buddy" system of Hollywood. He's gotten negative reviews partly as punishment for being a maverick, yet he's remained true to his vision and has not compromised. We need more people like him, not less! I'll be in line to see Episode III, and I'll squirm at the dumb parts, and be awestruck at the rest.

The acting in episodes 4-6 wasn't all that great either, safe a few performances (Han)

I think Lucas is brilliant. He brought out the last 3 installments,...that left audiences amazed at special effects,...and wowed us with twists,..like Vader being Lukes father.

When future generations watch the entire saga...this won't have the same effect.

Continuity it will have (except for that Yoda thing),..but it will take alot to dazzle this generations audience....

"..it will test your head,..and your mind,...and your brain too..."

Dewey Finn-

Archived