Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vocal mic for female

The Shure SM58 has been a good all-aorund mic for vocalists. Is it just as applicable to female singers, though? What would be a good, or even better, mic for most any female vocalist? Let's figure around $100 to $200. Dynamic would be great but condenser is fine, too.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The female singer in my band, Nectarphonic, uses a Shure Beta 57 for live vocals and is very happy with it.

Are you talking for live stage or recording?

If for live vocals (and I don't mean Ashlee Simpson style :D ), I'd highly recommend the Beyer M88. It's a little more expensive ($300) but most female vocalists love 'em and they sound great. As a bonus, they also make great recording mics, especially on toms and some guitar amps.

Excellent feedback (pun intended :D ). This will be geared for live, but in intimate venues, so I do want the precision of studio.

I'm going to get one of most all of these and do some tryouts with our singer. She is using an old discontinued Shure (PE48?) for sentimentality's sake only (a former BF, gawd). It's lifeless.

She sings some Yes, Gentle Giant, Kansas, Kate Bush, and originals. Yea, yea, we're a Prog band. :eek:

For the Ashlee tunes, I'll use a condenser with the Phantom power set to 3 volts. ;)

Anything else?

Archived